Forums Latest Members

Omega SeaMaster 300M First Omega.

1. Freddie Mercury May 6, 2014

Hi folks!!

I'm thinking about getteing an Omega SeaMaster 300M (automatic) and I'm wondering if anyone here have it, and if it's a good watch for everyday use. As I'm a diver myself I think a SeaMaster is appropriate, it also the maximim I can pay for a watch, so please come with advice and suggestions, but not of more expensive models.

2. Mothra May 6, 2014

Omg, with a userid like that set an avatar quick before ulackfocus spots you.... Seamaster 300s are all cracking watches -have you got an example you have in mind?

Fritz likes this.
  3. Northernman Lemaniac May 6, 2014

::stirthepot::

Fritz likes this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 6, 2014

I have the James Bond 2220.80, calibre 2500. I have never had any issues with it, although I don't dive any deeper than the deep end of the pool. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Seamaster 300Ms

Freddie Mercury likes this.
  5. Freddie Mercury May 7, 2014

Thank you for answers. I was at my local dealer to have a look at it, and I love it!! But, I also love the PO 42 mm.
    What do you think would be a good Choice? I dont have enough Money for the PO now, but I do have enough for the 300M.
    You think the PO is Worth the extra price over the 300M? The thing I like about the PO is the saphire case back, to be able to look at the movement anytime is fantastic. But the again, I also love the 300M. Do anyone of you know if a cheaper "see through" case back from Omega, than the PO?

6. Freddie Mercury May 7, 2014

The 300M I've been looking at is the 212.30.41.20.01.003 while the PO is the 232.30.42.21.01.001

7. Mothra May 7, 2014

Neither of those watches are my personal favourites, but they are both the very definition of a modern tool watch. They'll take all the punishment you care to dish out on a daily basis. The 300m has a 2500 movement, which initially had some issues and the PO has the 8500 which benefits from an additional generation of development, and is probably better regarded. It sounds like the PO is what you really want - I'd be wary of 'settling' and the newer, improved movement is probably all the justification you will need - if you can get to PO money quickly. Either way, pick the one you really want and you'll get a kick put of every look at the wrist.

8. Freddie Mercury May 7, 2014

I'm really not sure which one of them I want. I love both, and it'll take at least two years before I have eough to buy the PO, while the 300M I can buy right away. I'm going to my local dealer on saturday, then I'll see what I do. Whats your favourites? I'd love some recommendations on other Omega watches too.

9. msp1518 May 7, 2014

You can't go wrong with either, but honestly, check out pre-owned, here or from Chrono24. For less money you can get exactly what you want.

10. Mothra May 8, 2014

For SMPs, my favourites are the slightly older, sword hand rather than skeleton hand models. With patience, you should be able to pick these up for $1400 and they have the benefit of a bulletproof tried and trusted movement. Oh, and no HEV (a pet hate). But these are my favourites, and you should go with your heart. If its two years to a PO, I'd go 300m now.

12 Seamaster GMT Great White.jpg 11 Seamaster GMT Black Dial.jpg

Hijak likes this.
  11. Freddie Mercury May 8, 2014

Those are really nice. And I love the dial on the older ones. And to MSP1518, I've been looking alot on pre owned watches, but I live in Norway so I'd have to pay 25% extra og the price just too get it in the country. I also get a good price on the watches at my local dealer. 25000 Nok (4228 USD). And if I have the dial a while and find out I don't like it, I can get a new one for free. I also get free washing and water ressistance testing.

12. nima0071 May 8, 2014

the older 300 SMP with the wave dial. 10175076_631340296902189_108885436_n.jpg

13. msp1518 May 8, 2014

Freddie, I gotcha. That makes sense. An extra 25% is a hard pill to swallow. For me, the classic Sm300 is what I want... but brand new...

[​IMG]

(not my image, by the way)

lenny and Fritz like this.
  14. Freddie Mercury May 8, 2014

If I could get the older version new here in Norway, id take it. But only because of the dial. I like the sceleton hands on the new one, but I prefer the wavy dial on the old version. Thank you for all the answers by the way. Keep comming with suggestions I really appritiate them.

15. Diverdown May 8, 2014

We'll this is my first post, and I'll gladly use it to recommend getting the 300m. I just picked mine up yesterday (ceramic bezel, in blue). Love the updated version compared to the wave dial. I understand the waves are classic, and they are delightful, but the deep blue lacquer Omega went to looks stellar. I dive. Up to now I've been using a Tag Heuer 500m chrono, which has served me well, but I can't wait to get this new piece wet. The PO is also beautiful, however the extra $2k isn't, especially if you have to wait years for a watch to come to fruition. I'm not saying it isn't worth the extra $$$, but I would argue it isn't worth the two extra years.
    Exhibition backs are impressive and fun to show off (as are skeleton dials), but there is also a charm to having the movement all sealed up; the faith knowing something special lies beneath the surface, making things tick, even though you can't see it ;-)
    What has most impressed me - now on day two with it - is its wearing comfort. Far lighter than my chrono diver, but you still know it's on. The lugs and bracelet conform to my slender wrists like warm butter. Zero hair pinching. They trimmed down the scroll on the clasp to just a subtle 'Omega' which is a nice touch. I can't stand too much useless text on today's watches. I have a Tag Heuer Formula 1 Grande Date that says Tag Heuer on it and its rubber strap no less than five times. I get it. Knock it off. It was a very nice gift. I digress...
    I like the blue dial over the black as I find it catches the eye more and is more versatile. It is easily dressed up and is also more casual. There's the whole Bond thing, but really, if you're buying a $4k watch (or anything) because of a fictitious character...
    The ceramic bezel is also a nice update. Not a scratch on it yet ;-)
    The white on black date window has received some scrutiny, but with the way the dial appears to change colour from different angles in different lights, it works against the blue. Subtle.
    One of my favourite things is its height. It's substantial, yet thin enough to fit under your shirt cuffs.
    All this being said, a friend of mine has the Bond edition PO and he loves it to bits. He wears it with his tux and it looks flawless. I find his a bit more robust and the hands on it are impeccable. The skeleton hands are definitely an acquired taste, but I enjoy them. I do wish they were proportioned properly. The minute hand is too long whilst the hour hand is too short, but not so much to turn me off of the watch (gotta have at least one gripe so you know I don't work for Omega)
    This is easily an everyday watch. I cycle my watches on a daily basis depending on my mood and activity, but if you only could have one watch, this would be almost perfect - it's casual (jeans & t-shirt), it's dressy (great with a suit), it's obviously sporty, it's rugged (I know a guy who wore his in, and whilst getting out of Libya when the getting was good a few years back), it's respectable - no watch enthusiast can legitimately say you poorly spent you're hard earned money, it has a solid history, and you're not spending Rolex money on it - not that there's anything wrong with Rolex, but this is half the price. And looking at the PO, the Sub-C ain't far off...
    Enough with this diatribe, I humbly suggest you get the 300m. This is one of those rare 'good problems' where there are no wrong answers. Just my $0.02cdn. Good luck.

I'll post more on my collection in the near future and attempt some reviews on my vintage pieces.

16. Freddie Mercury May 8, 2014

Thank you very much!! You made it clear to me. I'll get the 300M. Im not sure if it's going too be black or blue, I'll have to see on saturday when im at my dealer. I'll try too post some pictures in this thread when I get it. And again, thank you for the help. I'm looking forward too those reviews :)

Mothra and Diverdown like this.
  17. Freddie Mercury May 10, 2014

I just got my Omega SMP 300M. And it's great so far. But I noticed that I didn't get hang tags With it. I got all the other certificates and the pictogram, but not hang tags, do you think the dealer forgot to put them on, or don't you get them anymore?

18. Freddie Mercury May 10, 2014

And how tight should I tighten Down the crown? I screw it down till I feel ressistance the I give it an extra half round. Is this to much, Iæm paranoid and worried that water will enter the watch if I don't tighten the crown well. But I'm also worried that I over-tighten it, and that it's going to ruing the seals over time or that it wont keep water out.

19. Diverdown May 11, 2014

Congratulations on your new watch!! Did you go with the black or the blue?? How are you liking it so far?? How's it feel? How's look? C'mon, details :) Let's see some pics!
    Not sure about the proper tightness of the crown, but I keep mine pretty tight on my dive watches. I don't take a wrench to it or anything, but I certainly don't want any water getting in either.

20. Freddie Mercury May 11, 2014

I love it!! I went with black. It's certainly the most comfortable watch I've ever tried and it's beautiful. But I must say that I'm a little annoyed about a smal dust grain on the inside of the dial. I've read that it's pretty common and that you can take it too the dealer and they'll fix it for you, but I don't think I Want to send away my brand new watch over a barely notecible dust grain. The grain is right over the 2 marker. It's something I'll probably get used too in a week or two anyways. Exept from that I'm very happy with it. I'll try too post some pictures later this day, I don't think the camera will catch the grain though.