Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial

1. watchsk Apr 8, 2015

Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial Chronometer

I have owned this watch for about a month and to be honest, it is the first watch I have bought in over five years. As I have written in other posts, I had gotten out of the watch scene and returned because of the Seamaster 300. I saw a photo online and you know the rest of the story. I read as much as I could about the watch and just could not get the images out of my head. Anyway, I gave into the craving and hoped the initial excitement would not wear off. As it is pretty much my only watch (Have an old Hamilton Khaki Mechanical I borrowed from my son), I look at it on my wrist everyday. Gone are the days when it was a decision what to pick out of my watch box. What I would like to share are my thoughts about what appeals to me about the watch and after those details, I will post all the photos I have taken of it at this point.

Lets start with the dial. It has the classic matte finish and has the harmony that is achieved by not putting the date on the watch at the 3 position. The three, six, nine and twelve look just right. In terms of what is written on the dial, the only thing that could have been added would have been 300 but I think it might have cluttered the look of the dial. The indices are recessed which looks nice and I am comfortable with the fake patina as it gives that feeling of the older time period. To me, it is a classic looking dial.

The movement has been dubbed the 8400 which I would assume is the 8500 without the date. Beautiful to look at although some traditional fans of divers watches would say that a closed case back is what belongs on a divers watch. I enjoy being able to see the movement and as long as it has the level of finishing like this one, it is worth viewing.

The case is 41m and alternates between brushed surfaces on the sides as well as polished lugs and the area below the bezel. The bezel is ceramic and has the liquid metal feature. You need to look under a loupe to notice the difference between the painted on numerals on some dials vs the engraved metal on on the Seamaster 300. When you do look, it is very attractive.

The bracelet comes with outer brushed links and polished center links. If you have read my earlier posts, you know I asked my dealer to have the watchmaker brush the center links to match the brushed look of the outer links. For me, I prefer the brushed look and never liked polished center links but that is a matter of personal preference. I like the micro adjustments you can do on the bracelet. You just push a button and can make small increases in size. I had it sized tight to my wrist and will let it out a bit in the warmer months.

The fit of the watch is quite good. i have a 6.5 wrist and and I certainly to not find the watch to be to much for my wrist. I tend to wear the bracelet tight and I don’t like the watch moving around on my wrist. I don’t find the watch to thick and it is definitely thinner than the Planet Ocean models.

So what is it that makes the watch special for me? Well, it is the total package. I love the alternating surfaces of brushed and polished parts of the case. If you ever owned one of the original Seamaster 300 models, you know how special that look was and is. The design just works. You look at the Seamaster 300 Co Axial and it gives the owner that same comfortable feeling of something very familiar but you also get the luxury of the new technology to enjoy and appreciate. At this point in my life, I can’t afford to buy a large number of fine watches so I need to be really careful with my purchases. This watch for me was and is one of the right choices. It gives me pleasure each day I wear it. The pictures of it do not do it justice but i will include the best ones I have been able to take so far. I forgot to mention the timekeeping. After a month, it seems to deviate 1.5 seconds per day. Why do we buy these watches? To me, they have their functional purposes but they are also art. I look at the Seamaster 300 Co Axial and I see beauty in its harmony and design.

2.jpg 1.jpg IMG_3857.jpg IMG_3882.jpg IMG_3869.jpg IMG_4015.jpg IMG_4005.jpg IMG_3872.jpg IMG_3999.jpg IMG_3867.jpg IMG_3896.jpg IMG_3861.jpg IMG_3875.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg IMG_4073.jpg

2. ctime3 Apr 8, 2015

Very good review I agree and I own one too

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 8, 2015

Nice write up. Love the end paragraph.

4. yinzerniner Apr 9, 2015

Very nice writeup. While I don't agree with your taste in regards to the brushed center links on the bracelet the watchmaker did a great job refinishing them: they look like they came that way from the factory. Wear it in good health.

Rommel likes this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 9, 2015

I find the bracelet on this model PCL or not PCL one of the most comfortable and practical SS bracelets around. The micro adjustment is genius.

On the PCL I was hesitant on my AT when i got it but kept them and ended up really liking the contrast. Same for the Daytona ( also a great bracelet) in any event brush or no brush a beautiful and well finished detail on this watch.

The bezel is amazing as well.

One aspect of this watch and modern Omegas in general that would be worth adding to your review for any Omega newbies to note is the dial crystal. Omega blows everyone on its tier with the 2 sided coating and slight doming of their crystals. They simply disappear. That's something Rolex definitely should be looking at closely. IWC also has great Crystals but the combination of dial quality finish and domed dual anti reflecting saphire is hipnotic.

BrianMcKay, gr8sw and watchme like this.
  6. watchdaddy1 Apr 9, 2015

Nice review & captures.I can feel your passion through the monitor.Thanks for sharing your thoughts it's appreciated.
    I've been Jonesing for this particular version,but unfortunately it's outta my reach,so I went w/ another beauty I've been lusting over.Grand Seiko Spring Drive (Snowflake).If me & the 300 were meant to be it will happen I believe in due time.
    Thanks Again for sharing your thought's.

Markinrecess and persco like this.
  7. yinzerniner Apr 10, 2015

I finally got to see some Grand Seikos at the flagship NYC boutique - holy mother of everything holy the online pictures just do not do them justice. Detail, fit and finish like you can only imagine. Also, while I know wrist shapes vary immensely the case and lug designs on the GS are the most comfortable and ergonomic I've ever worn.
    But to get back on topic, I'll try to make it to the Omega boutique this weekend to try on the SM300 - the dial alone on it looks like a step forward for the Seamaster line as a whole.

raptor likes this.
  8. watchdaddy1 Apr 10, 2015

I will have it Sat[emoji41]

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. trama Apr 10, 2015

Great post. Glad you decided to get back into watches, good choice. Would love to hear what your past favorites were sometime.

After a few months with this watch, I was finally able to come up with a criticism...nit picky, but here goes:
    I use this watch on my nightstand when traveling, and when not on the wrist (thus oriented) it is hard to tell the time if the bezel and it's green lumed dot are not set at the 12 marker. I wish the twelve o'clock marker was somehow differentiated from the 3, 6, and 9 markers. Of course, it would have to be subtle, because the face is so amazing in it's symmetry and balance.

Flame suit on! I can take it!

BrianMcKay likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 10, 2015

Now you have to start buying beers...only way to save your life.

OmegaRookie likes this.
  11. watchsk Apr 10, 2015

Trama,

Thanks so much for your response to my review on my new watch. I started collecting in the 1990's and I had different phases of watch types that I liked. In the end, I always came back to divers watch or tool watches as they call them.

In terms of non divers watches, some of my favorites were:

A Lange & Sohne-Lange 1 Rose Gold

Ulysses Nardin- Limited Edition Perpetual

Glashutte Original-Panograph

D. Dornbluth & Sohn-99.1

In terms of the divers watches, I really got into the Rolex Sea Dwellers at one point. I actually owned about 4 of the older models including the Double Red model.

But in the end, I always seemed to come back to Omega as it was the brand that got me with the Seamasters. I owned various models including:

Seamaster Chronograph-

Seamaster 300-The old model

Seamaster Planet Ocean-The first one with the Orange Bezel

Seamaster with the 1120 Movement. I had many of those but especially miss the 2254 and the 2230.50

Next year, I hope to plan to save for the 2230.50 non-americas cup as that was the one that I regret selling the most and would really like to acquire that watch again.

tumblr_mksf7rw8vq1snvc18o1_1280.jpg images.jpeg Nonac3.jpg

wareagle35 likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 10, 2015

Well, you had some fine pieces there!!

13. OmegaRookie Apr 10, 2015

You are soooo baaaaad! :);)

14. watchsk Apr 12, 2015

One more wrist shot for the review:

IMG_4144.jpg

15. forestry Apr 12, 2015

Nice review, it makes me want to get one as well.

16. watchsk Apr 13, 2015

Can't stop taking pictures of this watch:

IMG_4173.jpg IMG_4174.jpg

17. legends71 Apr 13, 2015

Realy great watch and matching photos, gratz.

18. watchsk Apr 13, 2015

Thanks for the comment

19. Hijak Apr 14, 2015

Then don't! Loving it.::love:: Sooner or later I will own one of these.:cool:

And love what you did to the bracelet!!!

20. watchsk Apr 14, 2015

Hijak,

Thanks for the encouragement with the photos. I saw my son last night and finally gave him back the Hamilton Khaki Mechanical which I had been using prior to acquiring the Omega Seamaster 300. He reminded me that I had bought him that watch over 10 years ago. Anyway, the Seamaster 300 is the only watch I own at this point so I get to see it every day.