Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial REVIEW UPDATE

1. watchsk Apr 25, 2015

Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial REVIEW UPDATE

I have owned the watch for about two months and wanted to give you an update to the initial review that I posted. I have included the text from the original review below this update if you would like to read the complete review with the update.

Here are some other points I did not note in the initial review:

The Bracelet-Here in Massachusetts , we have experienced up and down temperatures with a few days in the 70’s and then back to the colder weather. The minor adjustments that you can make with the bracelet are excellent. I know people rave about the Rolex bracelets but I can only comment on this new Omega bracelet. You have about 6 minor adjustments you can make. My recommendation is that when you get the watch sized for your wrist, make it as tight as it would be to your actual wrist size (unless you prefer to wear it loose which I don’t). I got it sized to my 6.5 inch wrist and when it got warm, it felt to tight and I simply moved one adjustment and it was comfortable again. My guess is that in the summer , I may go out an additional adjustment but the new Omega bracelet gives you much flexibility which is appreciated.

The Crystal-Because the crystal is domed, you get the feeling at times that there is no crystal and that you are looking directly into the watch. I know the watch was treated with anti-reflective coating from Omega and I read that it was only done on the inside of the crystal. I don’t know if that further contributes to the great view of the dial without glass. I do like not having AR coating on the outside as I have experienced scratching some of it off and I would rather not have to worry about that.

Timing Accuracy-I have an app on my phone which is Atomic Time Synced and I have done a reset of the time. I just checked it today which completes a two week period and the watch has gained 8 seconds over a 14 day period for a deviation of .571 per day. For me and the mechanical watches I have owned, I have never owned one with this type of accuracy. I had a Rolex some years ago that was within a few seconds per day. To me, having a mechanical watch with a daily deviation of just over half a second is unbelievable. I don’t know if all of the Omega Co Axials run this accurate or if the Master distinction makes a difference or if I just happened to get a watch that happens to be this accurate. I would ask other collectors who own Omega Co Axial movements to comment on this.

The Complete Watch-When you get attracted to a watch, there are usually a few elements that initially draw you in. For many, it is the dial. For others, it is the shape or size of the case. Others focus on the movement or the fit and finish of the watch. Price is a factor for all of us. For many it is the metal used for the case. What I have found with many of my past purchases is that once I receive the watch and have had it for a period of time, I usually can confirm that the elements that originally attracted me to the watch were accurate and still present but when I considered all elements of the piece, I could now understand what was either missing or not quite up to the standards that other watches had in a particular area. For example, some watches fit on my wrist better than others. Some cases have more finishing done to them than others. There are different levels of movement finishing also.

So how does this connect to the Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial? Well, there are very few areas that have not met my expectations. If I had to pick one area, I would say the Lume is not at the highest level with some other watches that I have owned in the past. The Lume is not bad but I would not rank it as the best I have seen in comparison with other watches. Just about every other area of the watch is fantastic. The dial with the matte finish (hands are white gold), the fit and finish of the case, the bracelet, as well as the comfort on the wrist. Let me talk about price. A list price of $6600.00 is far from cheap and is not at the entry level price point that Omega used to be in years ago. But we know that most of their non gold watches range from a list of about 7000-15000 at this point. Consider that you are getting the classic look of the Omega Seamaster 300 and think about the modern technology Omega decided to put into the watch. That would include the first Omega watch to have the Bracelet with the minor adjustments, The Ceramic Bezel, The Liquidmetal component to the Bezel, The 15,000 Anti-Magnetic Feature, The Master Co Axial Movement, and the S14 hairspring. I am not sure which other Omega watches have all of these components but I do believe that if you look at the Omega line, you will find most of the watches will have a higher list price than the Seamaster 300 Co Axial. Is it a bargain? Well as I stated, it is hard to say a luxury watch is a bargain but in the context of the Omega line of watches as well as watches in general, I think that you are getting a lot of watch, both from the standpoint of the classic look of the piece as well as the modern technology integrated into it. I am extremely pleased to own the Omega Seamaster 300 Co Axial and would highly recommend it to other collectors. I will close with a few new photos I shot this morning
    IMG_4262.jpg IMG_4259.jpg IMG_4254.jpg 1.jpg IMG_3999.jpg

ORIGINAL REVIEW
    Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial Chronometer

I have owned this watch for about a month and to be honest, it is the first watch I have bought in over five years. As I have written in other posts, I had gotten out of the watch scene and returned because of the Seamaster 300. I saw a photo online and you know the rest of the story. I read as much as I could about the watch and just could not get the images out of my head. Anyway, I gave into the craving and hoped the initial excitement would not wear off. As it is pretty much my only watch (Have an old Hamilton Khaki Mechanical I borrowed from my son), I look at it on my wrist everyday. Gone are the days when it was a decision what to pick out of my watch box. What I would like to share are my thoughts about what appeals to me about the watch and after those details, I will post all the photos I have taken of it at this point.

Lets start with the dial. It has the classic matte finish and has the harmony that is achieved by not putting the date on the watch at the 3 position. The three, six, nine and twelve look just right. In terms of what is written on the dial, the only thing that could have been added would have been 300 but I think it might have cluttered the look of the dial. The indices are recessed which looks nice and I am comfortable with the fake patina as it gives that feeling of the older time period. To me, it is a classic looking dial.

The movement has been dubbed the 8400 which I would assume is the 8500 without the date. Beautiful to look at although some traditional fans of divers watches would say that a closed case back is what belongs on a divers watch. I enjoy being able to see the movement and as long as it has the level of finishing like this one, it is worth viewing.

The case is 41m and alternates between brushed surfaces on the sides as well as polished lugs and the area below the bezel. The bezel is ceramic and has the liquid metal feature. You need to look under a loupe to notice the difference between the painted on numerals on some dials vs the engraved metal on on the Seamaster 300. When you do look, it is very attractive.

The bracelet comes with outer brushed links and polished center links. If you have read my earlier posts, you know I asked my dealer to have the watchmaker brush the center links to match the brushed look of the outer links. For me, I prefer the brushed look and never liked polished center links but that is a matter of personal preference. I like the micro adjustments you can do on the bracelet. You just push a button and can make small increases in size. I had it sized tight to my wrist and will let it out a bit in the warmer months.

The fit of the watch is quite good. i have a 6.5 wrist and and I certainly to not find the watch to be to much for my wrist. I tend to wear the bracelet tight and I don’t like the watch moving around on my wrist. I don’t find the watch to thick and it is definitely thinner than the Planet Ocean models.

So what is it that makes the watch special for me? Well, it is the total package. I love the alternating surfaces of brushed and polished parts of the case. If you ever owned one of the original Seamaster 300 models, you know how special that look was and is. The design just works. You look at the Seamaster 300 Co Axial and it gives the owner that same comfortable feeling of something very familiar but you also get the luxury of the new technology to enjoy and appreciate. At this point in my life, I can’t afford to buy a large number of fine watches so I need to be really careful with my purchases. This watch for me was and is one of the right choices. It gives me pleasure each day I wear it. The pictures of it do not do it justice but i will include the best ones I have been able to take so far. I forgot to mention the timekeeping. After a month, it seems to deviate 1.5 seconds per day. Why do we buy these watches? To me, they have their functional purposes but they are also art. I look at the Seamaster 300 Co Axial and I see beauty in its harmony and design.

munichblue, Knezz, 300 and 4 others like this.
  2. Jensop Apr 25, 2015

Nice review and good read. thank you.
    I got mine last week and am still getting familiar with it. So far certainly no disappointment!
    Cheers, Jens

3. OmegaRookie Apr 25, 2015

I still like mine too!!

4. 300 Apr 26, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg
  5. 300 Apr 26, 2015

LOVE mine :) Most accurate timepiece I've ever owned and love the power reserve. Great review!

Knezz likes this.
  6. ston& Apr 26, 2015

...è bellissimo questo Omega!!!!

grazie

7. friendharry Apr 28, 2015

and on an Omega NATO she's even better ;)

8. Sherbie May 1, 2015

Great write up with thoughtful comments, and nice watch

Is it a bargain, you ask?

Well, i think you get a lot of watch and features for the money, but in US, EU and UK, i dont think its cheap

I was in Japan last week, and was totally amazed at the prices of new watches ( competition of local brands means prices are very competitive)

The price for your watch ranged from $3.3k from bespoke multi-brand dealers, to $4.4k from Omega ADs.

And you can get 8% tax back of those prices as an additional bonus

Now thats a bargain :)

Unbeleivable!

9. Petrolicious88 Dec 6, 2016

Does the crown always screw in so that the Omega logo straight up?

10. flw history nerd Dec 6, 2016

Nope ... the logo on my crown (on both my SM300 and my SMPc, actually) rests nearly upside down when completely screwed in. That's common among most watches, including Omega, Rolex, and so on. It just depends on how the crown and tube are threaded - it's not a flaw.

munichblue likes this.
  11. kunimi Dec 7, 2016

The white gold in the hand is for the titanium version. The regular one is rhodium plated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. brunik Dec 7, 2016

Its a great watch!!!!! thanks for sharing!

13. Perseus Dec 7, 2016

I'll share my random thought...I bought a blue Pelagos last November and the SM300 in December. A year later I'm still madly in love in the SM300 and the Tudor has rarely seen any wrist time for the last two months. In fact, I'm thinking about selling the Pelagos. It's so much watch for the money but I have some crazy love affair with the SM300.

SM300 02.jpg

Morrisdog likes this.