Forums Latest Members
  1. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

I have a question about my seamaster? I currently have it regulated to about 8 seconds fast in 24 hours. But in the morning it is always 1 minute slow? Could the center pinion friction spring cause this inconsistency? Could this be a power issue with the mainspring or drive wheels? This is frustrating me.

2. Steve1haggart Jun 12, 2016

Can I ask did you try and a-just the A-R yourself ? Im certainly no expert I would put this a question to Archer I'm sure he will point you in the right direction .Me personally I would place I think the hands of a watchmacker and let him give it the once over .

3. TNTwatch Jun 12, 2016

Let's start with when was it serviced?

4. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

It was just serviced by a watchmaker. A few weeks ago.

5. TNTwatch Jun 12, 2016

Have you talked to him and what did he say about this?

6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 12, 2016

I have to ask, How can it be regulated to 8 second fast and 1 minute slow every 24 hours at the same time?

7. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

That is the question. I talked to the watchmaker and she suggested maybe the seconds pinion friction spring is pitted and maybe causing inconsistent timing.

8. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

I'm going to order the friction spring, and mainspring and get it reserviced. I hope this will resolve this issue. Anyone please advise. Thank you.

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 12, 2016

Then why didn't she fit a new one during the service?

10. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

That was my fault. Trying to do it on a budget. Inspected main spring and cleaned and lubed it.

11. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

The friction spring looked ok.

12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 12, 2016

I think that if you start going down the road of ordering parts yourself on the basis that they may resolve the issue you are facing, you could conceivably end up buying a whole piece by piece movement before you get to a solution. Why not get your watchmaker to tell you exactly what is causing the problem and take it from there?

Davidt and chronos like this.
  13. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

That's the watchmakers suggestion. I'm just trying to understand. I've never heard of something like this. How can it be fast and still be slow?

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 12, 2016

So are you saying that the seconds hand is keeping time at +8 per day, but the minute hand drops a minute per day?

15. TNTwatch Jun 12, 2016

The watchmaker's suggestions would usually come with the reasons why those parts need to be replaced. What are those reasons and what did you think?

If the regulation was made in one position without measurements of adjustments at other positions, no accuracy can be said about the other positions.

16. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

I don't know. I'm not a watch maker. I'm just trying to understand. The watch is going back to get overhauled again.

17. François Pépin Jun 12, 2016

Hello,

I am not sure to understand. As Archer asked, is there a difference (1 minute) between the minute hand and the second one?
    If that is so, could be an issue with the canon pinion (not tigh enough).
    I am also not sure to understand what kind of service you asked and got. This kind of things (friction on the sec pinion, cannon pinion, timing) should be dealt with in every service.
    Well, hope this will be soon the case with this new service!

18. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

That is correct. The seconds hand is timing at +8 seconds. But the minute hand after 24 hours is 1 minute behind. I have to set it to the correct time every morning. May be as Archer suggests the canon pinion may be loose.

19. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

The service was a basic clean and lube. This next service will install new mainspring,new friction pinion,new setting spring and regulation. I've talked to the watchmaker who says we will get it right.

20. Jpmoran11 Jun 12, 2016

Francis Pepin may be correct that it may be loose canon pinion. Archer?