Forums Latest Members
  1. durbsguy Jan 5, 2017

Hi Guys

I recently inherited a couple of old watches through my grandfather. One being a 1957 Omega Seamaster 300 serial number is

I have sent the watch off to Omega and had the following response.

"The hands, crown, pushers and crystal may be replaced with original spare parts or other aesthetically similar OMEGA parts appropriate to the style of this model, whilst maintaining perfect functioning of the watch.

There is no longer any identical case available for this model.

After years of wearing, refurbishing the watch and other stresses over time, we can no longer ensure total water resistance. However, the components are replaced in order to guarantee protection from dampness and dust. We therefore recommend that you avoid immersing or splashing the watch (in the shower, sauna, swimming pool). "

My grandfather bought it as his fishing watch hence it has a couple of scratches. I would like to keep the watch as original as possible, but would like to also have something to wear on special occasions. If I wanted a new 300 I would purchase one however this watch means more to me than a new one. What would anyone recommend?

Cheers

Darren

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 5, 2017

If you can get the watch back from Omega without having them do any work on it.

marturx likes this.
  3. durbsguy Jan 5, 2017

Thanks for the quick response. Would you not even have the watch serviced? Just keep it in the safe?

4. calalum Jan 5, 2017

If they will send the watch back to you without bastardizing it, find a good independent watchmaker and have the movement serviced as needed, no replacing of parts (particularly external, including the hands and crown), no polishing, etc., unless you want to destroy the history and value of the watch.

Vitezi, CajunTiger and efauser like this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 5, 2017

Let us know where you are located, someone can probably recommend an independent watchmaker who is sympathetic to the needs of vintage watches.

CajunTiger and efauser like this.
  6. durbsguy Jan 5, 2017

London Sir.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 5, 2017

STS.

Davidt likes this.
  8. durbsguy Jan 5, 2017

Davidt likes this.
  9. durbsguy Jan 5, 2017

I forgot mention the other watch. I gather you guys would recommend the same with this.

IMG-20161210-WA0002.jpg
  10. GuiltyBoomerang Jan 5, 2017

Oh yes most definitely. Take them both!

11. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 5, 2017

Agree...do not let Omega service this watch. They will destroy its value.
    There are plenty of competent watchmakers...what you want is someone who understands what a sympathetic service is.

Do you have any photos?

12. durbsguy Jan 5, 2017

Only of the gold watch i am afraid, the other is with Omega. Will get the watch back and send it off to the Swiss Time Services.

13. Davidt Jan 5, 2017

STS without a doubt.

I can't imagine Omega would service without changing several cosmetic/case parts.

Any pics of the 300 before you sent it off?

14. durbsguy Jan 5, 2017

Unfortunately not, regretting it now. but it has the stainless strap and missing the black outer ring with the numbers on it. Bezel?

15. Davidt Jan 5, 2017

The bezel is a loss. Is it just missing the black inlay with the numbers, or the bezel ring itself?

16. durbsguy Jan 5, 2017

Just the black inlay. The moving bit is still there

17. Davidt Jan 5, 2017

Ah well that's something. Aldo in Italy can recreate the inlay but I understand this can take several months. Aluminium replacements also pop up from time to time (I think one either recently sold on ebay or is oerhaos still available). I really would get it back from Omega and see what STS say, unless Omega offer to service whilst retaining the dial, hands, no case polish etc, but I can't imagine they will.

18. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 5, 2017

I wish it was only several months...More like a year :)
    The aluminum replacements are worthless...its best to have patience.

19. durbsguy Apr 13, 2017

My apologies for the delay. Finally I have received back my watches, the Constellation they did a full restoration on without being asked for and the Seamaster came back untouched.

20170412_171147[1].jpg
    marturx likes this.
  20. marturx Apr 13, 2017

Most importantly they did not destroy your SM300! Could've cost you a smaller fortune!

Seriously. They have no vintage feeling whatsoever at Omega. Or at least not before. May have been better recently, the price increase on rare vintage Omega pieces cannot have escaped them completely. The Museum ought to have spread some knowledge about it internally.

The bracelet alone is worth serious bucks!