Forums Latest Members
  1. pepandlo Feb 28, 2013

Case back photo.JPG crown photo.JPG crystal photo.JPG Hello everyone. I am new to the site, so let me thank you in advance for your responses and suggestions.

I was going through some of my Dad's old boxes and came across an old Omega Seamaster Automatic 300. I really didn't think much of it until I went to EBay and saw that it may have some value. I took it to my local jeweler who removed the case and he wrote down the following information:
    CBN: 2913-3
    20 Jewels Auto Omega 501
    MCN: 6,297,613
    approx M.D.i

I really don't know what any of this means, so can anyone help me there? Also, what I am looking for is some guidance about the value of the watch and whether sending it back to Omega (as one friend suggested) or keeping it as is is the best way to get the most value.

The watch has some scratches on the crystal, the original crown, but curiously it doesn't have a second hand. The back of the case reads "Certfied High Pressure", "Waterproof", and "Seamaster" above the horse (?) logo with the Omega symbol below it. The bezel is still attached, but it no longer has the black ring and numerals. The watch is keeping accurate time. I have included a few pictures.

Any help in understanding what I have here would be fanatastic. I want to understand if this is an heirloom I should keep for my kids or sell to put into their college fund. I look forward to any replies.

Thanks.

Pepandlo

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 28, 2013

It has value but only for parts - dial has been refinished and relumed (value killer) and hands while they look original have also been relumed. The case is in average condition for this watch and the movement looks correct. The value in my mind is more sentimental than financial.

3. pepandlo Feb 28, 2013

Appreciate the response. So relumed means the glow in the dark parts were reluminated I assume. OK. Got it. Can you give any input on what the age of the watch is? Any idea on what the value is if just for parts? I saw a non-working Omega 300, very similar in appearance to mine, sold "as is" for $2,567 on Ebay the other day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300865518694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Would mine be in that ballpark, or has the value been reduced so substantially by it being relumed, or some other factors? Again, I am just trying to understand exactly what I have.

In the worst case, I'd just keep it,buy a band and pass it on to the kids. Any suggestions for what or where to find an omega time apprpriate band?
    Thanks again for your response.

4. g-boac Feb 28, 2013

Hi Pepandlo - this is a very nice watch to have for someone who either appreciates watches, or is an Omega enthusiast. If you choose to sell it, and get $1500 - $2500 for it, you wouldn't be letting go of Manhattan Island for $24 of beads, so to speak. If watches aren't your passion, no harm in selling it. If they are or you think your kids might enjoy this, then this would be worth keeping.

This watch dates somewhere between 1957 and 1960 or so, at which time it was replaced by the Seamaster 300 ref. 14755. In watch terms, a "reference number" is equivalent to a model number. What makes this cool is that in 1957, Omega released a "trinity" of watches: the Seamaster 300 CK2913, the Railmaster CK2914, and the venerable Speedmaster CK2915. It is this last model that became famous as the first watch worn on the moon - a very cool, and robust, timepiece. Your CK2913 would be the brother of the moonwatch.

Your watch would fairly fetch around the same ballpark the one on eBay recently sold for, but it depends on mechanical condition. If the watch movement is healthy and it runs and accurately keeps time, it would be worth around that or a little more. If it doesn't, it would be worth around that or a little less.

You can wear this watch nicely with any number of metal bracelets or leather or rubber straps, but the original bracelet you are looking for is an Omega 7077. These are only available on the secondary market (eBay, private sales, auctions - not from Omega). While appearing very "chinsy" in comparison to a modern bracelet, they do uniquely complete the vintage/period look of this watch. Here is an example of what they look like:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f319/s...tchlink-bracelet-7077-4-endpieces-475414.html

The issue with reluming or replacing parts on a truly original "survivor" watch is that because so many watches see damaged and get repaired along the years, fewer original examples than repaired examples survive. So a true "survivor" may command a premium of 50% or even double the price of a watch that has been restored. You don't have this kind of a watch, but it's nothing to lament - the watch is what it is, and that makes it an ideal candidate to consider for a combination of restoration and preservation.

[1] You can choose to send your watch to Omega in Switzerland. They will service and as necessary, repair your watch, with original parts. This includes both the mechanical aspects (called the "movement" of the watch), as well as the cosmetic aspects (the dial, the hands, etc). At your request, they will leave the cosmetic elements alone, or they will return them to you after replacing them with new parts on the watch. Given that your original parts appear to have been reworked over the years, there's no harm in asking them to replace with new and preserve/send you the originals, just so you keep your watch complete, and can return it to its current cosmetic state at a later time should you wish. Doing this, will yield you a watch that runs nicely, and that you can wear and enjoy daily without worrying about compromising something that is a "survivor" which has "survived" by virtue of not being worn or seeing the light of 50 years.
    http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-intervention/restoration

[2] additionally, your watch has no bezel. Omega no longer makes original bezels for these watches, but there is a watchmaker in Italy, Aldo, who specializes in restoring bezels:
    http://www.milwatchmaker.com/lavori.php?lavoro=lavoro9
    The original bezels were made of bakelite, which became brittle over time, and flaked off. Aldo has a nice process for restoring the bezel insert on your watch. Again, since the original material is simply gone, you're not hurting (and in fact, are probably enhancing some) the value of your watch by restoring it.

[3] Finally, Omega has a neat service where they can pull an archive extract of your watch's original production and delivery history:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/extract-of-the-archives/order-form

So you have a lot of options, including restoring the watch and enjoying it. If you choose to sell it, you can offer it for sale in the sales corner here in this forum or in others, and I think it will find a good home amongst the enthusiasts here.

good luck and enjoy! And welcome. Keep the questions coming!
    cheers,
    Mark

SpikiSpikester and flame like this.
  5. pepandlo Mar 1, 2013

Wow! Mark, thank you so much for the response. Those were just the answers I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to help me understand. I have some thinking to do.

Again, thank you.
    Pepandlo