Forums Latest Members

WITHDRAWN Omega Seamaster 300 - 1964 - 165.024 with Extract

1. photo500 Oct 14, 2018

Hi All,
    Fresh off the bench after servicing I'm offering a lovely old Seamaster 300 for sale. This is the early ST 165.024 with the naiad crown not the later screw down type.

First up let me inform you the watch has had a full relume. The reason for this being the dial had been apparently cleaned after the lume soaked up some moisture from a case leak and turned black. The dial, hands and bezel insert have all been done. I did not touch up the back of the bezel where the black paint had come away due to the water ingress that commonly occurs between the insert and steel bezel itself. Below is a photo of the dial before re-luming, you can see circular marks made by the hands as well as the last bit of original lume which had oddly been left on the 3 o'clock hour marker. Cleaning and re-laquering the dial got rid of the circular marks, the dial was NOT reprinted.

I use a type of paint called ZnS - Zinc Sulphide which is the same carrier paint for the original tritium material that Omega used in the early days. Essentially it is the same paint as you will find on a factory dial but without tritium added because, well, it's highly illegal to buy it in raw form. It has then been tinted to give a nice colouration. The glow with this paint is the same as you will find with 'exhausted' tritium as found on watch dials and hands from the 60's and 70's. It has the same granular structure and glows under UV light in the same way.

An Extract of the Archive is included and shows original delivery to New Zealand in 1966.

I believe the crystal is an old service type as is the crown. More than likely the original owner was using it for diving or at least working near water and so wanted it to stay waterproof. It should be noted that the naiad crown system was notorious for leaking in shallow water, it relied on pressure to form a proper seal. Hence the change to a threaded crown and tube on later 165.024's

The Seamaster 552 movement has had a complete overhaul - performed by me, in my Omega audited and soon to be fully certified workshop. I have serviced the movement and replaced the mainspring, reverser and centre wheel with cannon pinion, centre seconds pinion and hour wheel. At some point the movement had sustained light water damage and as such some of the copper coloured plating has some minor cloudiness. Timekeeping is excellent. There are several other service marks in the case back. As far as I can be reasonably sure, none of them are from Omega themselves.

The case has been left as found, no case refinishing, with the exception of a light polish to the crystal. There are no major gouges out of the case back but clearly this watch has been worn for much of its 50+ years. The case back is obviously worn form so much wrist time and there is a faint engraving on one of the case back bevels.

Remember this is a 'Tool' watch and there wouldn't have been too many of these being purchased as desk divers back in the 1960's.

The price is $6600 USD which includes the expensive PAYPAL fee's and express delivery by DHL. If you're happy to make a bank wire then the Paypal fee's can be avoided and I’ll reduce the price accordingly. I'm located in Perth, Western Australia. I'll also include the strap made out of WWII Bomber jacket leather which looks perfect on the SM300.

Any dark spots on the dial in the photos are from shadows being cast from marks on the crystal. Please refer to the uncased movement pics for the condition of the dial and hands. Photos have been taken with a very harsh and direct ‘Ring’ light which shows up every mark.

First photo is the dial before reluming and relaquering.
    IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0840.JPG fullsizeoutput_1346.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1668.jpeg fullsizeoutput_154a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1548.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1546.jpeg fullsizeoutput_152d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1516.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1525.jpeg fullsizeoutput_152a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1667.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1554.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1562.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1566.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1567.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1569.jpeg IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0938.JPG fullsizeoutput_1586.jpeg fullsizeoutput_158d.jpeg

2. JohnSteed Oct 14, 2018

Thorough ... As usual. GLWYS A!

watch3s and photo500 like this.
  3. EdtheAussie Oct 15, 2018

GLWS Adam! You did an awesome job mate

watch3s and photo500 like this.
  4. photo500 Nov 4, 2018

Withdrawn - sold elsewhere. Thank you OF for the space

blubarb likes this.