Forums Latest Members
  1. Fost May 31, 2015

Hello All,

I am always a little bit nervous before validating the payment of a watch, so i decided to so some last research (even if i already ask some forum members and i thanks them!!). The fact is that i am not able to find another one like this one in a 18K gold version with a 18k gold dial. So could you just confirm me that everything is ok and that it is not a put together watch? Thanks for your help !!
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg
  2. cristos71 May 31, 2015

Judging from the faded script it looks like the dial has been cleaned and the minute indices have been washed away. The case has also been quite heavily polished.

3. Fost May 31, 2015

I was not sure if those solid gold dial had minutes index :
    1111.jpg

could you confirm this point?

4. cristos71 May 31, 2015

Well the Seamaster Grand Luxe that you posted I believe was a Norman Morris US only version, so I´m not sure it is good material for comparing the minute indices question.

With the central seconds and short hands I would expect to see minute indices in a track around the inner circle of the 5 minute markers.

5. ulackfocus May 31, 2015

Agreed - the dial has been cleaned. The minute/second track has been removed from the solvent used. The edges are usually the dirtiest so it makes sense that it was cleaned more aggressively there than in the middle, which is why the AUTOMATIC and Seamaster remain, albeit faded.

The case has been polished too.

6. Fost May 31, 2015

Ok thanks ! I assume that decrease the value ...what would be a fair price range thus?

7. Fost May 31, 2015

Finnaly i found the same dial on another ref case which appear quite simimar to this one With onyx marker:
    image.jpg

Claimed to be original buy i am definitively not an expert

8. cristos71 May 31, 2015

The `automatic` script looks to be walking to the right, could well be a re-dial. With the long hands I would expect the dial to have its minute indices around the outside circle of the 5 minute markers,

9. Fost May 31, 2015

Thanks again. Now i can take the decision with all in mind. I like this one and even if the dial could be ' damaged' , it is homogeneous and not a redial ... I will make a try !

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 31, 2015

Personally I would pass due to the condition issues - the dial as mentioned at a minimum has been cleaned (the last no marker example looks like a redial).

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 31, 2015

I mentioned to you that this would be a gamble. If it is an 18K dial (you should get it to a watchmaker to be sure), then it is a push, at best.

If it is not an 18K dial, I would strongly suggest a return.
    gatorcpa

12. Fost May 31, 2015

I will go to the watchmaker to confirm this point buy according to the seller there is no doubt this is a 18k gold dial. As i have no idea of the price for a very Nice exemple without any dial issue and no polishing , but the price looks more than reasonable and i a really love this one ... And never found another one like this before ... So i will jump :)

13. Fost May 31, 2015

And I am still suspicious about the minute track which was dissolved due to the more agressive edge clean as the swiss made is still here ...of course it is possible that this dial was damage during cleaning but i found the result very pure and lovely.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 31, 2015

If it makes you feel any better, there was someone on another forum that had a Seamaster XVI with an 18K gold dial. One like that had never been seen nor were there any records of one being produced. I don't believe that it had a minutes register either, and would be about the same vintage as this one. The owner had the watch taken apart to confirm the 18K markings on the dial, and voila, we had a "discovery piece".

upload_2015-5-31_18-14-56.png

Desmond edited his work on the XVI to include the discovery. See page 8 of the article.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2dzqqy361qsvgr4

Stranger things have happened!
    gatorcpa

P.S. - I don't think the dial above was ever cleaned, and I'm not convinced yours was either. The fonts are the same, except for the added XVI. Does the "Swiss Made" match?

noelekal and Fost like this.
  15. Fost May 31, 2015

I think that even if the minute track has been dissolved i will have bought it :) just because i love it like that ( and it is still. Guenuine and non redial ) ... But if i can keep the hope that the minute track has never been there , that is even better :)

16. TNTwatch Jun 1, 2015

Based on the pictures of the OP's watch, I don't think the dial has ever been cleaned. I have seen an old Omega parts catalog with a lot of Seamaster dials having no minute track at all.

17. TNTwatch Jun 1, 2015

I can't read Desmond's update at the moment, but did he mention a Thai national production versions for the XVI dial? There are a few of them but of lower quality and less sophisticated than the two official versions.

PS: Scratch that. I've found he mentioned them on his site.

Edited Jun 1, 2015
  18. Fost Jun 1, 2015

I continued to search today and in fact i found several dial without minutes track... Anyway , I love this dial like this !!

19. cristos71 Jun 1, 2015

I´d like to see those too, help put the OP´s mind to rest

20. TNTwatch Jun 1, 2015

It's located five hour drive from me. Will surely take some pics next time I see it.