Forums Latest Members
  1. colbyslaugh Dec 13, 2017

I have been pouring over Omegas for months as I am finally prepared to purchase my first. I think I've got it pretty narrowed down, but wanted to see peoples opinions. I really like the looks of the early bumper automatics and have found two I really like. They appear very clean and well kept, if not completely restored. I'd rather not get burned and buy a watch that doesn't actually have the value in it that I would pay. I have put the two references numbers in the subject and have attached pictures. s-l1600 (2).jpg The 2494 (SS) is hard to find information about, but is 36mm which is a plus. s-l1600 (1).jpg The 2576 (Gold Seamaster) has a gorgeous textured dial, but the numbers strike me as completely unoriginal to the era of the watch and the condition just seems way too good. The asking price for both is around 900. If any of you have any information on either of the references I would be much obliged, and look forward to joining in Omega ownership!

2. colbyslaugh Dec 13, 2017

To be more to the point, do the prices of these watches seem justified because of the uncommonalities that they possess, such as the waffle dial and the textured grid dial + 36mm size, or are these really overpriced?

3. numero27 Dec 13, 2017

Strange dials, i would not bet they are original , but let’s wait for experts opinions ..

4. Vicke Dec 13, 2017

Both are extremely polished and (horribly imo) redialed, witch makes them hugely overpriced to any serious collector.
    I would pay exactly 0 for any of those.

5. Temprus Dec 13, 2017

both looks redialed

6. colbyslaugh Dec 13, 2017

Okay, so redialled as suspected, and most likely not to the original configuration? What would a good price range be for an early 50’s bumper auto in original condition? I guess to get comfortable with original dials I have to accept “patina?”

7. colbyslaugh Dec 13, 2017

Also, what is the problem with polishing a case? Is it an originality issue as well? Cases didn’t come polished from the factory?

8. fjf Dec 13, 2017