Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 2451 (321) – Opinions and feedback please

1. Omegafanman Apr 24, 2019

Omega Seamaster 2451 (321) – Opinions and feedback please

Hi this was my first 321 movement Omega. It has had a full service (crown was replaced). I have all the parts.
    From the serial number it is around 1952/53. Opinions and feedback on the watch plus any additional information (2451-???) gratefully received.

01use.jpg 02use.jpg 03use.jpg 05 use.jpg 05a use.jpg 06use.jpg 07use.jpg
    Khanh Luu likes this.
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 24, 2019

As you probably know the dial is incorrect for the reference and the case has been polished a bit too much. Here is how it may have looked like before:

[​IMG]

Khanh Luu, apsm100, Mods and 8 others like this.
  3. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2019

@MSNWatch Many thanks for the reply. I really appreciate that. You are right I do have some concerns but I did not want to colour any initial feedback, plus I realise that I am biased (and ever hopeful).

100% agree regarding the case finish / past polishing.

In terms of the components matching is it unequivocal that this watch has been made up from parts and if so, what watch types contributed – what have I got here?

As mentioned, I have concerns but the watchmaker who serviced it (normally pretty good) did not flag anything and gave me a fairly high estimate letter for insurance purposes. They also confirmed all parts are Omega original.

I have also been told Omega did play a bit fast and loose with hand/dial combinations back in the day so is there any possibility (even a small one) that this is original? Also did the CK2451 have many variants (-1,2,3,4 etc) / how was that recorded. It was in production a while I believe. I have struggled to find much data.

I have seen a few pictures of watches from the era (late forties / fifties) - some examples below...which look similar and proport to be all original (including steel/gold combinations which is what first got me worried on this watch / possible re-case)

I might be clutching at straws here but any extra info / thought from the forum appreciated.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg
    Khanh Luu likes this.
  4. jeppehh Apr 25, 2019

The watch of my dreams. Incredibly attractive.

apsm100 likes this.
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 25, 2019

There is at least a 10 year difference between the time the 2451 was released and that dial style came out (it is a seamaster chronograph dial from the mid to late 1960s). The hands are also replacements and wouldn't be surprised if they are not original omega hands.

Omegafanman likes this.
  6. Omegafanman Apr 26, 2019

I hear you and value your opinion. I think the CK2451 came out in 1946 and was in production in various forms till the late sixties. I also have read it became Seamaster branded in the early fifties. I think 46 was also when the 321 came out (I need to brush up on the transition of that movement). I believe there were numbered variants of the watch (CK2451-1,2 etc). There is a wealth of information on the Speedy / Connie etc but I am struggling to find much on the evolution of the 2451/Seamaster series. I just see images of different versions and it is hard to know what is real. I am a very evidence based person plus I like to cross check (my bad I know). Why is there so little online information on this series or am I missing something. Regarding the watch hands It is hard to photograph reflective surfaces well (it is with my skill set anyway :0). The watchmaker (I wont name them as they are known here) was very clear in there opinion all parts are original.

Edited Apr 28, 2019
  7. Omegafanman Apr 26, 2019

PS - love the watch you posted - very nice :0)

8. Edward53 Apr 26, 2019

The colours on that watch!! ::love::

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 26, 2019

Good luck with your research.

Khanh Luu and Omegafanman like this.