Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 2255.80 - Movement 1120 problem second will not stop

1. SW4323 Dec 29, 2015

Hello

first question: the second hand should stop when setting time, right?

I have a problem with my Omega Seamaster from 2007
    it is a 22558000
    It has movement 1120

When i pull out the crown fully, i can adjust the time but the second hand never stops, it keeps on moveing..

i read in the manual this for the 1120 movement:
    Time setting:
    hours – minutes – seconds. Pull the crown out to
    position 3. The seconds hand will stop. Turn the crown forwards or
    backwards. Synchronise the seconds by pushing the crown back to
    position 1 to coincide with a given time signal

The movement seems ok (i think) but could it be fake or maybe torn down? Or the crown is wrong inserted?

IMG_9471.jpg IMG_9474.jpg IMG_9487.jpg IMG_9490.jpg IMG_9495.jpg

Edited Dec 29, 2015
  2. Hijak Dec 29, 2015

Hello, I have this same model and I just checked and when the crown is pulled out to the third position it does indeed stop the seconds hand. Also everything that can be seen looks original on your watch (can't speak for the movement though). Do you know the service history? If not, good chance it is in need of service.
    Wrist Shot, 10.JPG

3. SW4323 Dec 29, 2015

here it stops

4. ChrisN Dec 29, 2015

Has your watch just started doing this or has it never hacked (the stopping of the second hand)?

If it's never worked, then it's likely missing the stop lever, it's item 1 below. When you pull the crown out, the short leg is moved by that action and the lever swings about its pivot (the small hole in the junction of the L shape). The long leg then touches the balance and stops the movement. It's that simple and the lever does nothing else. If this lever is missing, it won't hack.

The lever is held down by the auto bridge (the big piece at the top) so it's unlikely to have come free and be floating around in the movement. Doesn't seem likely that it's broken either, unless Al sees this problem regularly, but perhaps it was not refitted at the end of a service? Regardless, in case any of it is loose in there, take it to a Watchmaker who can remove the 3 bridge screws in five minutes and confirm what's wrong.
    Screenshot_2015-12-29-22-38-46.png
    Regards, Chris

SW4323 likes this.
  5. SW4323 Dec 29, 2015

Reynold likes this.
  6. SW4323 Dec 29, 2015

It has been serviced recently yes, they might have forgotten this or done something wrong?

7. ChrisN Dec 29, 2015

This stop lever goes on second to last. The only thing after that is the rotor/bridge assembly held on by the three screws. It serves no other purpose so, it could be easily left off. Mind you, you'd have this piece left over and wonder what it is....

As I remember (I'm not a Watchmaker), this stop lever can only go in one place so, I'd imagine it's been left off. I suppose it could be bent but it seems unlikely. If you had it serviced locally, easy to get them to open it up.

You can see the brass coloured lever here in non hacked position (photo from Christian at the website shown) but, even in hacking position, I'm not sure it's ever easily visible with the auto bridge on.

Screenshot_2015-12-29-23-26-10.png
    Cheers, Chris

8. ChrisN Dec 29, 2015

It's not the end if the world if it is missing. It's the bottom part here and is under a tenner.
    Screenshot_2015-12-29-23-34-56.png
    Hope this helps, Chris

9. SW4323 Dec 29, 2015

thank you very much!!!!

but you are sure that it should have been there from the start?

10. ChrisN Dec 29, 2015

The picture above is from the Omega 1120 service manual so, yes it should be there. I don't believe that some models do without it and can't see any reason for that. I'd get it looked at and probably it is a small fix. My concern would be it's loose or broken so I'd get it looked at sooner rather than later.

Cheers, Chris

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2015

Yes, it should be there from the start.

If this is only happening after the recent service, then they have either not installed or has been installed incorrectly. I can't say that I have seen them actually broken, but sometimes if it shifts as the automatic bridge is installed the lever might not seat properly on the small boss in the main plate, or the lever might be bent.

I do see them come in with the lever damaged.

Cheers, Al