Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 200 "Pre-Bond" Cal. 1109 acquisition thanks to this very forum

1. msp1518 Feb 22, 2015

I am a happy camper, ladies and gentlemen. Broke!!! But happy. Simon (Dennis the Menace), a fellow forum member, teased me with his Omega Seamaster Pro 200 "Pre-Bond" not long ago and we made a deal on my acquiring it. I had not planned on purchasing an automatic version of this watch, thinking I would go for the SS quartz edition after selling my 2-toned 1441 to a gent in the UK.

However, the NOS condition of his Cal. 1109 was too hard to resist and so a deal was made and less than two weeks later, here it is, on my wrist. A big thumbs up to the forum and how it vets its members and allows us a pretty good chance of buying and selling watches without incident. Keep up the good work, mods.

The bracelet has absolutely no stretch whatsoever and feels a bit weird on my wrist compared to how my 1441 wore. It's amazing how one can get used to a watch and how it feels on the wrist. Same case and bracelet and yet they feel different! I will admit I still like the look of the 2-tone more, but having moved away from NYC I no longer felt justified wearing a flashy gold watch. It stuck out like a sore thumb and i wanted to be feel a bit more incognito. The SS version of the Pre-Bond was the obvious choice.

The Pre-Bond is running about +7 seconds a day, which is actually damn fine for an auto not serviced since it was produced back in the early 90's. Simon did bring it in to his local watchmaker to check out and it was given a new case seal and passed the pressure testing. Just don't expect me to take it into the water! I'll be far too paranoid for that.

The seconds hand sweep is silky smooth and astoundingly, the dial and hands still have decent lume. You might note some dirt/grime buildup around the bezel where it meets the case and that is usual for an old piece. I'll eventually have this fully serviced and cleaned, but for right now I just want to enjoy the hell out of my favorite dive watch of all time (on a par with my other fave, the SM300).

In case you are wondering what's up with the Bikini Tokyo video in the background, it's kind of an inside joke between myself and a few other YouTubers.

PreBond on wrist 01.jpg
    Dr No and MrE like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 22, 2015

Nice one Matt, you can tag team that with your 300.

Or wear both, one on each wrist :D

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 22, 2015

A very nice automatic Pre-bond Omega . I like those watches . Have two quartz . One 396.1041 and one looking like yours but in quartz version 396.1061 with double clasp and a really stiff bracelet . I am almost afraid to wear ithat and often i use the other one as a beater instead .

4. msp1518 Feb 22, 2015

Why are you afraid to wear it? Don't want to get her nicked? I admit, the thought of this puppy being scratched kind of sucks, but it's going to happen. I just have to embrace it. In ten years I'll just have a full service, including case and bracelet work and it'll look brand new again. :cool:

Jim, that's a good idea, lol, though I still don't have my SM300 back. :eek:

Once I do I'll have to shoot a video wearing both for my channel. Just to do it.

5. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 22, 2015

Silly me . Take some pictures of it tomorrow . And promise to wear it tomorrow to .:cool:

6. msp1518 Feb 22, 2015

Pictures will be tough over the next few days. I'll be on the road up to NY and so busy... Lord help me. I'm gonna try.

7. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 23, 2015

Misunderstanding there :) I meant i should take some photos of mine . Wearing it .So you see that i use it sometimes. DSC02919.JPG DSC02917.JPG .

8. msp1518 Feb 23, 2015

Nice... She looks minty minty minty.

I'm on the road today and love wearing mine. I need to stop looking at it while driving.

rogart likes this.