Forums Latest Members
  1. erpin9 Apr 6, 2015

Got this vintage Omega Seamaster 60m 166.062 today but I am not so familiar with this model. Not much also on the net. Its a little small at 37mm without the crown.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

noelekal and Fritz like this.
  2. ChrisN Apr 6, 2015

I've been looking for one of these in blue for a while and they don't seem to be readily available. Yours looks pretty nice to me but I would find out what the brown staining around the outer edge of the crystal is. I hope it's on the outside.

They usually have a 565 movement but can be a 563 from what I've seen. I think 37 mm is a good size for everyday wear and I do like that colour. Right, that's pushed me to start looking more seriously...

Enjoy!

Chris

3. erpin9 Apr 6, 2015

I am taking it to my watch man tomorrow. Hopefully the brown stain is on the outside. I used it to today and your right, it did not feel small. Maybe a nice blue leather strap would make the watch standout much better. Btw, nice avatar. Is that a Jaguar XK120?

4. ChrisN Apr 6, 2015

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Is that track surface in the Silverstone picture just the natural pattern on the tarmac or is it unpaved?

6. Hijak Apr 6, 2015

That's funny!:D Not small for a vintage watch.

7. ChrisN Apr 6, 2015

It looks like tarmac. In the full photo, you can see the rubber lines on the corner. As far as I know, they were using the current circuit in '51 so, this looks like Hangar straight at the entrance to Stowe. Here's a fuller picture:
    xk120-2.jpg

And a more up to date picture:
    http://www.f1rogues.com/uploaded/co...stone/pictures/silverstone_1999_buildup_5.jpg

I think it's got a bit wider since the '50s!

Cheers, Chris

8. erpin9 Apr 6, 2015

A beautiful cat indeed. I had one before but it was coupe. The roadster is the car to own and keep. I still have a few vintage cars and one car I have is a 1963 Cortina Ogle that was allegedly owned by Sir Stirling Moss. RM wants to auction the car in England should I decide to sell it. Record shows that only 2 were made. Below are pictures of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

noelekal, Sergeant Pluck and ChrisN like this.
  9. ChrisN Apr 6, 2015

Interesting. I've not seen that before but know of Ogle. You could try and ask Sir Stirling at one of the historic racing events such as The Revival at Goodwood. Must be a lot of fun with that Lotus twin cam under the bonnet as I suppose its essentially a Lotus Cortina. I don't know how you would even value it but, I suspect you don't really want to let it go ;).

If you do sell it, consider Bonhams at The Revival in September. Lots of people spending three days 'back in time' and suddenly desperate to get something from the '60s and associated with famous racers.

All the XKs are terrific cars and I almost bought a coupé (green with green interior and quite stunning) before the prices went through the roof. Won't get one now and am going to have to keep slumming it in this other coupé:

E1.jpg

It's tough but I'm just about managing:D

Cheers, Chris

noelekal, OmegaRookie and Alpha like this.
  10. Hijak Apr 6, 2015

Jaguars just ooze sex appeal!::love::

11. OmegaRookie Apr 6, 2015

ChrisN, noelekal and Hijak like this.
  12. Hijak Apr 6, 2015

Those new F-Types are nice looking!

13. OmegaRookie Apr 6, 2015

Thanks!!! Mine is the "R" model. It's fun. Our weather has been so lousy I just got it out last week. I got it last September and I have 2100 Km's on it...... Gotta love Canadian weather.....

Hijak and erpin9 like this.
  14. erpin9 Apr 6, 2015

Thanks for the information. Isn't RM and Bonhams one and the same company? I had a 63 XKE roadster that I traded for a 92 Porsche 964 RS which I truly regretted. The Porsche is a great car but the Jaguar has that passion and appeal that cannot be equaled. I still think it's one of the 10 most beautiful cars in the world.

OmegaRookie likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2015

I'll be test driving one of those soon hopefully....when we get nicer weather finally.

Hijak likes this.
  16. OmegaRookie Apr 7, 2015

Good for you Al. Don't drive it though. You're going to have to have it after you drive it. They're a lot of fun....:)

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2015

I know that feeling - I had only driven this a few kms when I turned to my wife and said "This is my new car!"

[​IMG]

18. OmegaRookie Apr 7, 2015

Nice!!!

19. ChrisN Apr 7, 2015

I'm not sure, I thought they were separate companies but, Bonham's may have acquired RM. I would think about an event like Goodwood if I was selling something like yours. There is a lot of money there and after watching these old racers for a couple of days, the desire to have something from that era seems to spur on the bidding. On the other hand, it would be a shame to sell it....

I've owned my E for 15-20 years and can't see me ever parting with it as there is nothing I want more. Because of the ridiculous European rules, I can only have it with me six months of the year so it spends the other six months in storage. After not seeing the car for six months at a time, when it's revealed again, it is just a beautiful thing and always affects me.

Those new F-Types are terrific and would be my one choice if I needed a modern car. This is my 'modern' car, a 1998 model. Works well in winter, great fun in summer and a lot easier to have fun in than a 500 bhp modern cat on the little roads in Europe. Mind you around a track, those F-Types would be a hoot.
    mini.jpg
    Cheers, Chris

yinzerniner, Archer and OmegaRookie like this.
  20. erpin9 Apr 8, 2015

Is that an Austin Mini Cooper? They are some of the most fun cars to drive around specially in tight twisty roads. These cars handle so well as if they are on rails. The only thing I don't like is the heavy steering.

I don't understand why you are only allowed 6 months out of the year to use your beloved XKE? That is totally absurd. Anyway, I am really wanting now to find another XKE after seeing yours. It brought back a lot of memories and mostly good. I have taken my XKE on 600km journeys without a problem and mind you, it can still keep up in pace with a lot of the modern sports cars.

As for the new sports cars, I bought a used 2010 Gallardo last year and I sold it immediately after using it for six months. Reliability was never its forte. I now have a 2006 Corvette and a 2012 BMW 1M. The Corvette is a blast, very reliable but handling in bumpy roads is atrocious. The M1 is a killer car. Stupid fast specially on the lower gears and handles like a go-kart. I also have a 1992 Mercedes Benz 500E, 1996 Mercedes Benz E50 AMG and a 1995 Mercedes Benz C36 which I use from time to time.

Still undergoing full restoration are my 1972 Porsche 911 and my 1968 Mercedes Benz 280SE coupe (W111). Hopefully they will be finished by the end of the year.

Btw, my favorite daily commuter car is a 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2. Love the ride and smoothness of the drivetrain but I hate its gas consumption.