Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha&onega Feb 7, 2019

A new member and first time poster so hope I manage to stick to the protocols. I inherited the above watch from my father when he passed away, so it has high sentimental value.

It wasn’t in particularly good condition when it came into my possession and I’m wanting to do somewhat of a restoration on this time piece. I fear water has got inside (glass fogs up in wet/humid weather) and as a result the time can no longer be adjusted using the crown, nor can the watch be wound. However, being an automatic a bit of a jiggle sets the movement in motion and the hands still move smoothly.

I took it into a reputable jeweller here in Australia that reportedly also does watch repairs. They informed me that the watch would need to be sent to the Swatch Group’s offices for repair and weren’t even willing to open the back and have a look. So, all this being said, I’m wondering if anyone here could answer a couple of possibly silly questions on my behalf.

Firstly, is the Cal 565 movement and the associated parts especially expensive? I am figuring worst case scenario, an entirely new movement might be the way to go.

Also, is the jeweller correct in advising me the watch needs to be sent to the Swatch Group or should a reputable watchmaker be able to assist. I live in a different city now and should have greater access to a watchmaker than previously.

Some research into repairs in Australia lead me to believe that the Swatch Group is likely to return the item without repairing it, due to the age and possible the extent of the damage.

Am I better off trying to find another identical Seamaster as an “homage” to my fathers watch?

Any input is appreciated

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Dan S Feb 7, 2019

Most participants in this vintage forum will probably recommend finding an independent watchmaker that is familiar with vintage watches and has the ability to buy parts from Omega (an Omega parts account).

It's hard to judge the condition of the watch based on those photos because it appears that the camera focused on your wrist and fingers instead of the watch. With some practice, you should be able to improve them. But if the case, dial, and hands are in good condition, then I would be inclined to restore this watch instead of buying a different one. If you can take some in-focus photos, we can give you more specific advice.

Alpha&onega likes this.
  3. Rochete Feb 8, 2019

Any independent watchmaker familiar to vintage nca repair it. Any significant city have some of those, ozy mates here can advise I'm sure.

Never take it to any "jeweller", no matter how reputed, they don't repair, they give to an external watchmaker, so much better go directly to the guy doing the job. And never, EVER, give to Swatch Group, either directly or indirectly, they will charge much more than the watch value and return a watch with very little left of what your father once wore.

dan7800 and Alpha&onega like this.
  4. Alpha&onega Feb 18, 2019

This is exactly the information I was seeking, thanks! I have located a reputable watchmaker nearby and will post the outcome here, preferably with some nice clear pictures of my restored time piece

Passover likes this.
  5. dan7800 Feb 18, 2019

Make sure they are in fact reputable. Many will claim that they are, much fewer actually are.

6. Edward53 Feb 19, 2019

...and make sure to provide written instructions of EXACTLY what you want and don't want doing. Just because someone is a very good watchmaker doesn't necessarily mean their idea of the finished product is the same as yours, and mistakes are not always easy to undo.

dan7800 and Alpha&onega like this.
  7. queriver Feb 19, 2019

If you are in NSW try the following independent watch repairers in Sydney:

Max Schweizer: Suite 313 Level 3, 375 George Street, Sydney https://maxswisswatch.com/
    Joao Santos: 183 Enmore Rd, Enmore www.jswatchparts.com
    Thomas Czibula: Suite 306, 3rd floor, 250 Pitt Street, Sydney www.watchrepair.com.au

Otherwise, if you let us know what state or city you are in, members here should be able to point you in the right direction.

Alpha&onega likes this.
  8. Alpha&onega Feb 20, 2019

Really appreciate the feedback guys, and I’m extremely grateful for the forum in general. Many of my questions have been answered by simply reading the older threads.

I am located in Brisbane and any recommendations re a suitable watchmaker would be appreciated. I have been given the name of a guy in Northlakes but I have no idea whether he has experience with Omega and access to Omega parts.

9. Burrellnl Dec 23, 2019

I sent mijn to Swiss time services in Essex it took a while and cost over £700 but it was worth every penny.

19F78142-7B0A-406D-8791-8B76129C6EED.jpeg 9C176150-640C-470C-AE1A-868E1C9DAFAA.jpeg 8358A382-3136-4BBF-AB03-62E1E1BF22C9.jpeg BDBF4573-6369-4930-B87C-12F5FAEE384C.jpeg
  10. Burrellnl Dec 23, 2019

Alpha&onega and tamura like this.
  11. Alpha&onega Apr 18, 2020

Burrellnl likes this.
  12. Burrellnl Jun 10, 2020

I asked them to sonically clean it and make it work to factory specifications, what they actually did is probably on a need to know basis, it has been 2 years since and is still beating perfectly.

13. Alpha&onega Jun 10, 2020

I have finally put the watch in to be repaired and serviced . Found a watchmaker who formerly worked at Omega. Elderly gentleman in his 70s, still passionate about his Horology and appreciated the piece. I hope to pick it up next weekend. Will keep the thread updated