Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 166.032 Sparkle Dial - News and eBay Annoyance

1. turbo_muc Mar 13, 2018

Hey fellow OBs,

I shot a Omega Seamaster 166.032 Sparkle Dial on eBay and received it today. Second buy of a used watch on eBay and the inevitable happened: some misrepresentations by the seller.

1. I asked the seller about the accuracy and he answered before the purchase "it runs a bit fast". A "bit fast" has shown to be approx. 4 minutes in 4 hours.

2. The watch has a personal engraving on the caseback which was not mentioned in the offer and not visible on the pictures (it was on a stand where the top of the stand covered the engraving and its not too deep so its only slightly visible from a side view and with light).

I am a bit torn because the case seems completely unpolished and the dial is perfect. There are only 2 relevant scratches on the top and bottom of the bezel. There is some grime left but with a cleaning and a bit of Polywatch it will look perfect. I added some pictures of the status quo.

My gut feeling is to request a discount.

What would you do?

Cheers Thomas

FullSizeRender (10).jpg FullSizeRender (11).jpg FullSizeRender (12).jpg FullSizeRender (13).jpg FullSizeRender (14).jpg IMG_5892.JPG IMG_5893.JPG IMG_5896.JPG IMG_5897 (1).JPG
    OmegaAm likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 13, 2018

Personally the engraving would not bother me. If the seller didn't provide proof of a recent service from a reputable service provider, you should have counted on doing one anyway...

Only you can decide if you like it enough to keep and invest the money to get it serviced, or to send it back.

Cheers, Al

3. turbo_muc Mar 13, 2018

I really like this Seamaster as such and the fact that it is unpolished. The sparkly dial is fabolous... what do you think about the pictures?

I am just annoyed that I did not get correct information...

Btw: there is no quickset for the day, is it? (so I have to turn the 24 hours until I have the correct day and then quickset the date?!)

Best, Thomas

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 13, 2018

No quick set for the day.

Cheers, Al

turbo_muc likes this.
  5. merchandiser Mar 13, 2018

You can try to negotiate with the seller to give you some money back based on them not fully disclosing the true condition of the watch.

turbo_muc likes this.
  6. Shabbaz Mar 13, 2018

Is magnetism possible? Would demagnetizing help?

turbo_muc likes this.
  7. sat968 Mar 13, 2018

As @Archer said, service the watch if you don’t have proof of a recent service. When I buy watches from eBay, I always assume a service is needed and factor it in to the cost of acquiring the watch.

As for engraving, I am cursed with some obsessive traits, so it bugs me. I’d probably keep the watch, see if it can be removed, or look for a replacement back.

turbo_muc likes this.
  8. turbo_muc Mar 13, 2018

Yes, I agreed with the seller on a refund. Was really uncomplicated.

9. turbo_muc Mar 13, 2018

Sure, could be an issue. Do not know any history of the watch.

Yes, I will give it for a service. Hoped that it would not be necessary immediately so that I could enjoy the watch a bit ;)

As an engraving is personal to another person I will try to get it removed. It especially bugs me because it was unexpected. Should be possible to polish without any further damage because it is in the glossy polished area around the Seamaster logo and not very deep.Hope it is easy.

Btw: step 1 of restoration: Polywatch :D

So sparkly - what a change :thumbsup:

IMG_5900.JPG
    fskywalker, sat968 and merchandiser like this.
  10. fskywalker Jan 10, 2019

Nice; restoration completed?