Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 23, 2012

Respectable Members

A colleague's grandson is interested to buy an Omega Seamaster diver 120m mod ref 166.073 and he wants me to give him some advice, regarding the two watches found on eBay. It is not an easy task for me.

They are:

A) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-S-S...945193725?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item232508defdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

and

B) http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-196...546463692?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item519e328bccPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My limited knowledge tells me, both the dials are original and not watchco's.

Kindly advise, which of the two is a better buy and why, based on the descriptions and pictures, included in the listings.

Thank-you.

(Credit: eBay, and pictures are to be used for educational purposes only.) A .JPG B .JPG

2. MyVintageOmega Nov 24, 2012

3. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 24, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

I appreciate your advice.

As for the second one, in its description it says 'THE LOWER LUG ON THE CROWN SIDE OF THE CASE IS BENT INWARD A BIT . IT IS HARD TO NOTICE BUT IT IS THERE.'

It is only obvious the seller is honest, pointing out this flaw. While it is good to be told, I am curious to know what had caused this case to bend inward. Is there any chance, it had dropped? As far as I can see the case of this watch is built like a tank.

The dial of the top watch is black in color, while the bottom one is deep blue. Which of the two color you think will be nicer for a diver watch, from a collector's point of view?

Thank-you.

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 24, 2012

This is on the bay, ending in 2 hours. Not sure if it is any good ?

Vintage Omega Seamaster 120 Diver's Watch 1960s - 535-007 - Midsize/Boys/Ladies: http://bit.ly/S20bGP

5. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 24, 2012

Respectable Member SpikiSpikester

It is appreciated for bringing to our attention the one found on the bay. I reckon it is not as desirable as the 166.073 amongst Omega enthusiasts.

Thank-you.

6. MyVintageOmega Nov 24, 2012

Can only guess how the lug got bent.....but none the less I saw the other Images of (The Blue) and it's strap and movement. I would choose it over the first. When I say I like the variation.....I prefer the Blue and it's dial. No 120m, location of T-swiss made-T....to it's calendar. Just what I prefer and I submit you do not make a choice based on my likes alone.......best regards/

7. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 24, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

Like you, I also prefer the blue one since it does not have the depth rating '120m' and this is pretty uncommon. Of course, likes differ from person to person and I appreciate your trying to help me out with what you see and feel.

Personally, I will not recommend any of the watches to my friend's grandson, since the first one has totally lost the lumes on the hands, while the second one has a flaw on its case. When I think a watch is good for me, only then I shall recommend to another party. If I find I am not happy with an example, it is left for the other party to decide for himself or look for a second opinion, elsewhere.

The way you cherish and love your 300m, I can assume you are not totally convinced both the watches could be considered as desirable. The only good point we can see is, both watches have beautiful original and unmolested dials.

I shall advise the young man to 'Carry-on Hunting', till a highly desirable one appears.

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.