Forums Latest Members

Omega "Reduced" vs. Omega Mark 40? Nope, a 3210.52 instead

1. hamiltonillinois Jan 5, 2016

I am looking to buy my first Speedmaster. I want a mid-sized automatic -- the moon watches are just too large for me as I'm accustomed to mostly vintage watches from the 1920s and 30s. I am thinking of either a Speedmaster 3510.50 "Reduced" or a Speedmaster 3520.50 Mark 40. They are the size case I want. With this in mind, is one watch movement considered better than the others? Also, if I decide on the "Reduced", which of the movements should I try to acquire -- the 3220 or older 1140? Thank in advance for your help.

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 5, 2016

i think the general advice would be to try on a moonwatch. try the First Omega in Space (FOIS), which is 39.7mm, so a bit smaller.

3. constellationM Jan 5, 2016

A Speedy Pro is the way to go. You will get used to it in no time at all!!!

4. cfw Jan 6, 2016

Yip plus its 2mm bigger and it will keep its value far better than a reduced

5. tyrantlizardrex Jan 6, 2016

I've had a moon watch for nearly 15 years now, and I get what you're saying, it's a chunky lump of lovely... Which if you are used to more delecate gentlemanly pieces, might come as a shock.

I've got a 1996 Speedmaster Date on its way to me today, which is the same size as the reduced, and the day-date (aka MK40).

If you can wait till Thursday I'll be able to offer a side by side comparison - if not, there's one on Chuck Maddox's site, and one on Fratello watches.

As far as movements go, I believe the general feel is that the "reduced" is the least favourable option out of the 39mm cases, with the 1150/1151 calibre date/day-date/complications being more well thought of.

Garv, hamiltonillinois and Archer like this.
  6. hamiltonillinois Jan 6, 2016

Thanks all! Please feel free to keep the suggestions coming. ;)

7. tyrantlizardrex Jan 6, 2016

Do you have a budget in mind?

Preference for colours/materials?

@Archer mentioned in another thread that there are A LOT of references that use this case size...

If you 100% want an auto, the moonwatch isn't for you I guess?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 6, 2016

For most collectors, the proper Speedmaster pro > Speedmaster date > Speedmaster reduced.

In my personal opinion, if you are after an automatic version that is slightly smaller than the Pro, the Speedmaster date versions with the ETA 7750 based movements are tough to beat. Very accurate and robust, with none of the possible issues seen with the modular movements.

Cheers, Al

D.D., Hijak and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  9. hamiltonillinois Jan 6, 2016

I own 200 or so vintage watches, but none that I am not happy to wear -- when I stop wearing them I sell or trade them away. That said, I live in a cold and humid climate, and it seems that about 50% of the year I am leery to wear one of my non-waterproof 85-year-old Illinois or Hamilton art deco favorites. (The Illinois Consul is my favorite watch, with the Hamilton Oval not far behind -- I own multiple examples of each.) On those weather-limiting days I own a few old 1930-50 Pierce chronos that I have painstakingly had serviced. However, as their parts (related to their early vertical clutch) are very limited, I have decided to buy a nice wrist-worthy Speedy to be my primary daily-wear watch. Because of my job I simply can't wear a Omega Pro-sized watch. I also want an automatic. And since I plan to wear it maybe 100 or so days a year, I do not want a safe-queen. I want a nice dependable example to keep for many years to come. My goal is to find a nice recently-serviced example for around $1500... or less. Possible? Does this help anyone with a suggestion? (If not, sorry for rambling...LOL)

10. hamiltonillinois Jan 6, 2016

Thanks! I know this is likely a silly question, but which Omega movements are based on the ETA 7750?

11. tyrantlizardrex Jan 6, 2016

You'll definitely find a Speedmaster Date, or a Speedmaster Day-Date for within a $1500 budget... a serviced one, perhaps not (at least from what I've seen up for sale).

The 1152, which is the movement in the Speedmaster Date:

Omega-Speedmaster-Limited-Edition-Watch-35135300_4467_F.jpg

The 1151, is based on the ETA/Valjoux 7751 - this is found in the Speedmaster Day-Date (aka MK40):

38205326.png

fskywalker and Jwit like this.
  12. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 6, 2016

The 3210.51 (which is the Speedmaster Date Chronometer) has the cal 1164 is also based on the ETA 7750. I absolutely love mine
    speed 12.26b.jpg

Edited Jan 6, 2016
    fskywalker and hamiltonillinois like this.
  13. mackguy Jan 6, 2016

I have the 3513.53 as pictured (purloined from the above post, not my pic)

This is the 1152 movement which as stated is 7750 sourced, and should be easy to find service for, and relatively common. The "reduced" uses a "piggyback" chronograph function, which I hear is more difficult to get serviced, plus I just like the idea of the integrated chronograph movement moreso than an ad-hoc. That said, if you're into bold colors, the reduced offers the yellow and red "Schumacher" options, and the blue "CART" option.

Personally, I also like having the date, and love the dial/hand configuration on my Speedmaster Date.

[​IMG]

hamiltonillinois likes this.
  14. hamiltonillinois Jan 6, 2016

Thanks all! You have opened my eyes to a few more options.

15. hamiltonillinois Jan 21, 2016

I have decided on a 3210.52 with 1164 movement instead. Opinions? Would this be considered modern or vintage? ;)

3210.52.jpg
    Rodmar likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2016

Modern but retro, its a tribute to the vintage 1968 Soccer Timer with roulette bezel but with super luminova and a modern Cal 1164 movement

[​IMG]

olafg and West Slope like this.
  17. Rodmar Jan 26, 2017

Did you decide on this????

I'm looking at picking this exact model up!

fskywalker likes this.