Forums Latest Members
  1. C.R. Hoedeman Feb 22, 2016

Guys,

I need your help. I can buy this beautiful Omega Railmaster. It is a reference 2914-4 with movement 284. From the serial number on the movement I think it is from 1958.

Please give me your opinion as I really value yours. Is it all original, any things to keep in mind? What do you reckon the market price of this piece is?

Thanks in advance!
    Best regards,
    Christian from the Netherlands

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Charles@UW Feb 22, 2016

I don't think the bracelet is original, however, the crown is lovely. I'm not an expert for Railmaster. Just hope can get one eventually.

3. abrod520 Feb 22, 2016

Can you get a better shot of the dial from head-on? From the angles you posted it looks like the lume is a little greenish.

The case looks heavily polished, but it's old so I guess that'll happen.

4. C.R. Hoedeman Feb 22, 2016

Here is the best photo that I have from the front:
    [​IMG]

5. C.R. Hoedeman Feb 22, 2016

6. abrod520 Feb 22, 2016

The photos in that listing come from Chrono24, and it's a genuine watch - BUT! - I'd bet if you went through checkout for the $200 or so at highestwatch.com , you'd just be ripped off - you probably wouldn't receive anything at all.

As to the one you're inquiring about above, I'm afraid I'm not good enough with these to be able to tell whether or not it's been relumed. I'm sure it's real though, at the very least. At the right price, it's probably worth buying. And if you decide to pass on it, let me know - I might like to do some inquiring on it myself :)

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 22, 2016

anyone that can't provide a straight on hi-res shot of the dial should not be trusted. That being said, Im not making any judgement on this piece. I just find it odd that they can provide images at all angles except straight on...a sure sign they are hiding something.

I see it all the time, but just don't understand how someone can sell a very expensive watch, yet can't seem to send images that are larger than 500kb. I pass on all sellers that refuse to provide high res stills that are in focus.

nickw and KstateSkier like this.
  8. C.R. Hoedeman Feb 23, 2016

Hi CajunTiger,

I'm with you on that.. I've asked for a better one, let's see what happens.
    If this is a real one.. what would be the value?

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 23, 2016

There are no "set" values. What is the discount for a polished case? What about re-lume (if that has been done)? These are all subjective judgments that must be made by the one who is actually putting up the money.

Presumably you have a general feel for the market if you are prepared to pay what it takes for a vintage Railmaster, but even with good photos, it won't be possible to fine-tune a price through the opinions of others when there is so much subjectivity involved.

I was participating in a thread on another forum recently about an Eterna that went for silly money on eBay. Now, assuming that there wasn't shill bidding (and there may have been), presumably the buyer was satisfied with the price that he paid. I find it to be ludicrous, and wouldn't have paid half of the final bid. So, what is the actual "value" of that watch?

Cheers,

Tony C.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2016

If you read the fine print on the web link provided above, you'll see that someone was asking EUR3,920 for that watch (at a time where the Euro was $1.22). In other words, they are showing the pictures and descriptions from someone else's website.

This tells me that the website is a fraud and is trying to part the fool from their money.
    gatorcpa

11. DIV Jun 3, 2016

Sorry to dig up this older post, but I want to learn more about the 2914 reference.
    This example, with its broad arrow hands, shouldn't it be a 2914-1, so I wonder of the case ask has been replaced??