Forums Latest Members

Omega Railmaster 2504.52 - What is the going price for this?

1. dng992 Jun 30, 2017

OMEGA RAILMASTER 2504.52 36mm

Keen to buy this watch

1) Are you able to take this to omega shops and get this checked over for authenticity?
    2) What are the going price for the 36mm dial which is rare?

2. tyrantlizardrex Jun 30, 2017

1) Depends on the store, but most will not.
    2) What has looking on eBay and Chrono24 shown you?

3. leetse2 Jun 30, 2017

4. WatchVaultNYC Jul 1, 2017

Your target is around $3K

propervinyl and dng992 like this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2017

I have seen this stated a couple of times now, usually in high priced sales thread but is there any truth to the suggestion that the 36mm is any more rare than the 39mm or huge 49mm for that matter? None were big sellers and ended up being discontinued, meaning they aren't exactly common and when they appear on ebay etc they are snapped up quickly at anything less than about £2,250/$3000 but is the rarity comparison based on evidence or just a guess?

I should declare a vested interest, here is my 39mm:

[​IMG]

6. WatchVaultNYC Jul 1, 2017

Its not just production numbers. In the pre-owned market, the availability of some watches over another could be because people people love them and don't want to sell. So you could have Watch A with the same production numbers as Watch B, but there are less Watch A in the pre-owned market because people love them and never flip.

That said, based on my database of thousands of watches bought and sold the 39mm Railmaster is 6.5X more commonly available than the 36mm. I've had zero 41mm Railmasters. Maybe those are the true rare birds

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2017

Interesting, there likely to be some truth to it after all then. The RM design wears very big as it is all dial. The 39mm looks as big on the wrist as the 41mm SMP or even 42mm Speedmaster so perhaps the 41mm just looked too much like a clock to sell in big numbers. The 49mm just must look nuts on the wrist.

fskywalker and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  8. WatchVaultNYC Jul 1, 2017

You think so?

[​IMG]

lando, speedamatuer, Pun and 4 others like this.
  9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2017

Ay caramba! It looks like it has its own gravity field and the Speedy is being inexorably drawn towards it!

10. dng992 Jul 1, 2017

Appreciate such help on this thread guys. Im a newbie, looking to delve into the realm of quality watches.

My aim is for a very small collection of 'beaters'/durables which can be worn with business/sporty.

Probably not right for this forum but I fell in love with the Rolex 1016, but simply cant justify the £5k+ budget for it right this point in time (heck I'm relatively quite young and looking to also make a car purchase and 40% of that total for a watch does not seem wise for current circumstance)

Regardless, I like the 36mm size, I also like clean/classic design which the railmaster ticks, I also want resale value on anything I buy - which although I guess not like a 1016,. the 36mm certainly holds its own value e.t.c? ???

I could not actually find it in chrono, I guess not due to its extreme rarity but transactiosn not being logged on there?

$3k seems like a good price if I could get it from there, as saw historic listings from these forums of 3.1/3.2k.

Final question - so if omega stores are not willing to verify, I guess I have to go to an independent store to check it over?/I would have surely thought omega stores would provide such service. My plan was to obviously pay through paypal for such an item - therefore you are covered by their backing e.g. if you validate it as fake, you are covered. Seems the safest option for newbies?

mikechi22 likes this.
  11. keepitsimple Jul 1, 2017

It's fairly easy even for a not too expert eye to at least figure out whether the movement is genuine. The Railmaster has a sapphire back, and although some fakers have been clever doing things like inserting a fake movement layer on top of the underlying cheapo movement, provided you look very carefully, and check that it is really a free sprung balance (no regulator) then it's almost certainly OK. If the movement is OK, it's unlikely I think that the rest of the watch would be fake.

This Railmaster is great and classic watch - a model of good design and functionality. I wanted one the first time I saw it several years ago, but it had to wait for quite a while.
    I have the 41mm version, and I agree with some earlier comments that it wears very large due to the proportions between the dial and the bezel.
    In truth, it's a bit too large for me, but it's one of my favourite watches, so I make a concession. Looks superb on a brown alligator strap (see the pic in Padders earlier post)

I was also hoping that the new 2017 version (not the LE, which is more of a homage to the original) would stand up to comparison, but it doesn't. Good and bad for me I guess, as it has saved me quite a bit of money by not having to buy it.

The 49mm is a completely different animal in almost every way, and far too big.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 1, 2017

Rugged quality watches with dual use and affordable??

Seiko SKX and Orient Bambino in the smaller of the 2 sizes.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  13. Df13 Jul 1, 2017

Omega didn't release the 36mm version of the Railmaster until late 2006, so, yes, it has a lower production number. It was only on the market a few years.

fskywalker and Sconniebt like this.
  14. sgk Jul 2, 2017

Hi,
    I also have the 41mm and cool to hear that it is even rarer :cool:
    Seriously though, when I was buying mine, read all about size and 'how it wears' etc. Thought that perhaps 41 is too big as I have average wrists tending towards the slimmer side. Had the chance to get the 39 version but when I compared to it mine, the dial looked crowded. The text was too close together and there wasn't enough dead space on the dial for my liking. The whole appeal of the Railmaster is the clean design and thus 41m was the one for me. I get the urge to size down now and then, but each time I compare the two, the 41 looks right to me. Could be that I have gotten used to it. In any case, the Railmaster is a classic design with universal appeal. Unfortunately, you cannot walk into a boutique and try the different sizes. However, I did walk into the swatch group office in Oslo and have them verify my Aqua Terra. So it is worth a shot asking in an OB.

On your desire to have a collection of formal and sporty; take your time. I started the same way and over the years managed to score the pieces I wanted: PO 2500, Railmaster, Aqua Terra 2500 (white dial, blue hands), Sub 16610 (lugholes) and have a Speedytuesday incoming :D. Vintage pieces are too many to list. Each of these were bought in different cities across Europe and Asia, so cool stories to go along with them. So perhaps what I'm saying is, it is the thrill of the chase, my friend. Good luck! :thumbsup:

fskywalker likes this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 2, 2017

Interesting, and a good justification of why the 41mm may be preferable for some, I would probably echo those sentiments if I was explaining why I preferred the 39mm over the 36mm, so I can't fault your logic. Please post a pic so we can compare with the 39mm I posted above.

Edited Jul 2, 2017
  16. sgk Jul 2, 2017

Not justifying anything. Only offering the thought process I went through. And here's a photo of mine

IMG_0251.JPG

fskywalker, robinhook, OWa and 2 others like this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 2, 2017

Justify was clearly a poor choice of word, perhaps explain would have been a less confrontational choice. I simply meant it was good to hear well thought out reasoning for which size to pick. I really just wanted to see a pic of a 41mm so perhaps should have just asked for that. Thanks for posting it.

fskywalker and sgk like this.
  18. sgk Jul 2, 2017

Cool!
    Perhaps I am also affected by reading through too many threads in which posts are summarily dissected when clearly rigour is not a factor when one posts on forums while commuting and simultaneously trying to take photos of one's watch, all the while trying to not look like a weirdo. :whistling:
    No harm done my friend :thumbsup:

fskywalker and padders like this.
  19. sgk Jul 2, 2017

And it's photos like these that make me rethink size now and then...

fskywalker likes this.
  20. Sconniebt Jul 3, 2017

Just purchased a 2504.52. They definitely are rarer than the 39. As to the 41, I'd have to agree with others here and say it's even rarer than the 36, as I have never seen one for sale. The 36's pop up from time to time, but they are getting pricey. I think the OP's estimate of $2500-3000 is a good estimate for the 39mm. The 36's seem to be in the $3300-3500 area from what I've seen. I currently own both the 36 and 39 versions. Bought the 39mm a couple months ago, loved the design and comfort of the watch, but couldn't help but feel like it was a little big at times on my 6.7 inch wrist. So reluctantly I started my search for a 36mm. I was prepared to wait for a while, but found one quicker than expected, and it arrived Friday. The watch fits exactly how I'd hoped. sits squarely on the wrist, the large dial gives it a good wrist presence while still being subtle. Worth the premium price I paid, because there's no longer any doubt in my mind that I have the right size. Here's a few pics for reference. And let me know if anyone's interested in the 39mm as it needs a new home.

39mm
    36mm