Forums Latest Members
  1. claes_t Apr 9, 2018

Hi,
    I recently purchased this -53 Fat Arrow. Movement looks good and serial seems correct according to Maddox. I am wondering about the dial though. As you can see from the images there is a cut out for the lume on the 9 index. Someone told me that is indicative of a re-dial. Have I bought a piece that has been tampered with?

Thnx

Claes
    IMG_0041.JPG Omega FA-1.jpg Omega FA-2.jpg

2. pmontoyap Apr 9, 2018

Hi,

Not an expert on these but ALL fat arrow RAF 53s are by definition “redials” made by MOD of the original thin arrow dials.

So your concern in this case is if someone “re-lumed” the dial. Overall, my opinion is the dial looks legit but Im not sure about that cut-out or if it was relumed, lets wait for the experts to weight in.

3. river rat Apr 9, 2018

Here is a shot of mine. On mine there was a touch up spot by the 3 were black paint touched up the scratch. But my lume was untouched see at your 6 see the point it should not be pointed that was touched up on yours. I was told about the scratch and the price was great due to that. But if you were not told or given a discount due to that I mite want a refund if I was you unless you got it for a great price. But it mite be that way due to different workers luming the dials ?
    [​IMG]

4. claes_t Apr 9, 2018

Thanx, What is your opinion on the cut out? any evidence of that on yours?

Best
    Claes

5. claes_t Apr 9, 2018

Thank you,
    Yes I know about the original re dial. If it is re lumed, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. I am more concerned about the originality of the dial itself. I believe the second hand has been touched up a bit at some point.

6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 9, 2018

????? cut out? yes, as it should be. the markers and dots are " cut outs " to fill with lume. what is your concern? it is original. reprinted as all fat arrows. relumed to get rid of the radium. that was the reason for the reprints in the first place. kind regards. achim

claes_t and gemini4 like this.
  7. claes_t Apr 9, 2018

Thank you, it's just I was told by someone I trust that it may not be correct. Is it your opinion that this is the way they were done?

8. Maganator Apr 9, 2018

I think it looks fine.

As @pmontoyap said, all fat arrows are redials.

If your question is whether or not your dial has been redialed/lumed for a second time then I don't think it has. But even if it has, it has been done well and it seems uniform to me.

Enjoy the watch, it is lovely.

9. claes_t Apr 9, 2018

Thanks, I am really happy to hear that!

10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 9, 2018

11. claes_t Apr 9, 2018

Thnx, but I think you misunderstand my question. I am aware of the variations of this watch. My question is rather if my watch is likely to be an original MOD re dial or if there are any reasons to suspect later alterations.

12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 9, 2018

I think the dial is an MOD redial with no further alterations

13. claes_t Apr 9, 2018

Thnx, appreciate it

14. kevinperry Jul 29, 2020

I have just been given, what I believe is a Omega Fat Arrow (screenshots below)
    Is there any way to see if it’s genuine?... I don’t know much about the watch other than we believe it was my mother’s uncles... I am assuming there is no record anywhere as to whom they were originally given to?

8940F7F1-06C5-4148-A9F2-0B8D814D5D24.jpeg 559AAFC5-45FE-45C6-B71A-3CE3635538BB.jpeg

JimJupiter likes this.
  15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 29, 2020

all good so far with lousy pics..... no records. kind regards. achim

16. shishy www.hpmor.com Jul 29, 2020

Looks like a lovely example. Was he in the army?

This is one watch I regret selling. Cherish it!

17. kevinperry Jul 30, 2020

Thanks Shishy, yes RAF pilot I believe.
    This watch needs restoring a little... windup works ok, keeps good time. But silver needs polishing and a couple of small scratches. My brother in law is a conservationist and am hoping he can take a look.

indeed will cherish, it’s one of very few that I have of my families.

18. mac_omega Jul 30, 2020

Please don´t polish the case - small marks are to be accepted and tolerated by serious collectors - its a military tool watch and so it is allowed to show some of its life.
    Have the movement cleaned and lubed - thats it - and enjoy wearing it. These watches are great, nice size, black dial, antimagnetic,...

Dr No, JwRosenthal and SpikiSpikester like this.
  19. kevinperry Jul 30, 2020

Thanks Mac, understood and will follow the above - thank you for the advice.

20. DON Jul 30, 2020

You say your brother in law is a conservationist. What does that mean exactly? If he's not a watchmaker. I wouldn't have him poking around as some parts are discontinued and could be either difficult to find or costly to replace

Always best to create a new post, state where you live and ask for a watchmaker in your area that's capable of cleaning and servicing.

DON