Forums Latest Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex Jan 12, 2015

Afternoon chaps!

I've fallen in love with the '53 and was wondering if anyone had one/could offer advice on buying one?

I've seen a couple for sale in London, one at the Vintage market in Spitalfields (£1,700 no paperwork, no receipt...) and one at the Vintage Omega store (£4,500...riiiight).

Any advice on fair market price and what I should be looking for, very very welcome!

Cheers

Chris

2. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jan 12, 2015

Be careful there's loads of fakes

Waynepjr likes this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Jan 12, 2015

4. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jan 12, 2015

I saw one at a vintage fair last summer and it was younger than me and I was born way after 1953.
    Watch out is all I'm saying.

5. tyrantlizardrex Jan 12, 2015

Fair enough! Any tips on spotting what's not right?

To me, the eBay one looks like it's not been worn (maybe a redial?), whereas the Corrs one looks to be a little battle scarred!

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 12, 2015

I think you need to adjust your expectations for this type of watch. It is a military timepiece that was used accordingly. You are not going to find a legitimate example in pristine condition and you are not going to find one with box/paper/receipt (these didn't exist in the first place).

Both examples you linked to appear as legitimate "Fat Arrow" examples. The Corr example is a bit cleaner. IT is unclear if the Corr examples also has the internal anti-magentic/dust cover and retention "spacer". The eBAY example looks like is missing the spacer.

7. tyrantlizardrex Jan 12, 2015

I perhaps wasn't clear...the seller wanted £1,700 and wasn't prepared to provide a receipt of the sale to me - I genuinely don't expect original documentation... that would be nuts.

8. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jan 12, 2015

These FA can be found cheaper. Join MWR and put up a WTB and one will find you....

Darlinboy and Event horizon like this.
  9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 12, 2015

You should take your time to look for one with an original TA dial or one where the FA dial was replaced with a TA dial by Bienne. They have become harder to spot today but they do come up from time to time.

Here are a few from my collection:

Original TA:

[​IMG]

Trio all with later Bienne supplied TA dials:

[​IMG]

10. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 12, 2015

The TA will go for more than a FA and are harder to come by. I think one recently sold on eBAY, but I might be mistaken. In any case, here is my FA version on a bonklip bracelet. These should not be too difficult to find. Try MWR.

[​IMG]

11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2015

PM sent

12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 12, 2015

the ebay example looks not too bad. battle scars are fine. the movement number for the other one looks high. could be a later replacement movement . pounds 900 should buy you a genuine example. kind regards. achim