Forums Latest Members

Omega Racing Strap 17mm

1. Dablitzer Sep 18, 2013

Wanted a perforated black genuine Omega Racing Strap 17 mm for a new project. Any whereabouts or leads or potential sales please let me know.. Much appreciated! :)

[​IMG]

To have the buckle too would be a bonus..

2. Dablitzer Sep 19, 2013

Can someone edit the title? Needs to be 17mm :thumbsup:

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 19, 2013

Just curious if that is an orthodox "new project", or a "new sales opportunity" ?

4. Dablitzer Sep 19, 2013

Not sure what you mean... ;)

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 19, 2013

What is the standard Alex mark-up? ;)

6. Dablitzer Sep 19, 2013

Im not selling anything?! :coffee:

7. Dablitzer Sep 19, 2013

::yawn::

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2013

I'm just back online this morning. My question is prompted by three things: (a) unlike most members, you engage in a high volume of buying and selling - to the extent that you are probably the most prolific seller here along with George; (b) unlike George, a large proportion of your sales don't appear to be conducted in public; (c) Speedmasters are not something you are known to collect.

Therefore I was curious as to whether this was a "project" in the way that most members would know it, or as appeared more likely, something you are looking to buy in order to sell on as a sole item or as part of a package.

Why am I interested enough to ask the question ? Because I believe it should be clear to members who offer you the item whether (a) they are helping a friend to complete an aspect of their personal collection, or (b) whether they will be selling the item at a preferential price, thereby allowing it to be sold on with an additional margin that the seller to you will be relinquishing.

There's nothing wrong with either, I just think that people need to know what type of transaction they are being asked to participate in. Otherwise, there is too much scope for bad feeling to develop if it turns out people feel taken advantage of if they enter transaction (b), when they had thought it was transaction (a).

That should make it clearer what I meant.

CanberraOmega likes this.
  9. Mathlar Sep 20, 2013

10. Dablitzer Sep 20, 2013

I am totally at a loss as to why this has become a talking point! I was looking for a strap, simple as. I'm not sure why anybody would read more into the matter. Regarding my selling activity, I don't force anyone in to buying my watches, it is freedom of choice. I love to collect these watches as I am passionate about my music and, as passionate about my watches, but of course I am constantly trying to better my collection which is human nature. And therefore I sell watches as and when other watches that I would like to be in my collection become available. I do not have an agenda regarding buying or selling. Often I only get back what I have paid, taking into account servicing and customs expenses, in fact, on occasions actually I have made a loss. I have people who are only too keen to buy from me. I thought we were all like minded with our love of these beautiful timepieces. I never expected to be under scrutiny over a watch strap.

TempusFugit, stefan and Mathlar like this.
  11. Mathlar Sep 20, 2013

But put me out of my misery.. is the racing strap for that Admiralty? It should match the watch well, towing that line between dress and casual..

12. Dablitzer Sep 20, 2013

Yes! It certainly is. I'm finding it hard to find a 17mm one though. As they are usually for much larger lug widths!

13. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2013

Lets not get carried away. I asked a simple question that had a sensible reason and is not a personal attack.

If it becomes a talking point, that is because you asked for clarification and have now responded at length.

You may not have expected to be "under scrutiny" - and I don't believe asking a simple question is "scrutiny" - but perhaps you should consider the possibility that the fact that a question has been asked suggests that not all of your transactions in the forum have been without problems.

We are interested in ensuring as many people as possible have a positive experience of participating in all aspects of the forum. From that perspective, it is not important whether anyone makes a profit on any transaction - just that everyone is as clear as possible about what sort of transactions they are getting into.

I may be wrong, but your reply indicates that you generally sell at a higher price than you have bought.

14. Hijak Sep 20, 2013

And whats wrong with that, if its even the case? I wouldn't sell any of my watches at a loss and would certainly try and recoup my expenses into it! Anyway I personally have brought several watches from Alex without incident...I'm not sure whats going on here...Spiki, I'm not sure if you have any personal experience buying from Alex or are going by a third party's perception...

stefan, TempusFugit and Dablitzer like this.
  15. ulackfocus Sep 20, 2013

Hijak, just to make things clear there have been several incidents that generated complaints, neither of which I'll comment on as I wasn't involved directly but other mods were.

I have no issue with turning a profit either. I also did quite a bit of flipping up until recently slowing down my pace. However, to use a general example hypothetical situation, saying a watch is running well means that the watch work properly and there aren't any broken parts in key places like pallet jewels. Granted, these are 50 year old watches (+ or - a decade or so) and some imperfections are expected, but complete honesty about the condition is expected. I once sold a Longines Conquest that turned out to have a some problems with the wheel train among other things. The buyer was having it serviced, so I paid for all the replacement parts that weren't normal wear. In the end, I took a bath on it - losing a few hundred. Those are the breaks and I accept it as part of the hobby. It's when you start to look at it as a business transaction and profit / loss is the primary motivation that problems can arise, particularly when you pass on those problems to the next person without disclosing them.