Forums Latest Members
  1. LeDave Aug 22, 2014

I read The Watch a little bit. Found out that complications are added features, possibly to the face? Or does this mean that the Helium Escape crown on my Omega SMPc is also a complication? Also if I read correctly, it stated that Omega was the first to create a minute repeater. If so, then why have I not see any minute repeater Omegas in the making?

2. LeDave Aug 23, 2014

Sorry, is this a stupid question? Nobody seems to replying.

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 23, 2014

It's not a stupid question; it's just that you're sort of all over the place. No biggie - I had no idea what a dial was until my 3rd or so R.olex.

What exactly are you curious about - is it the exact definition of @ "complication"?

LeDave likes this.
  4. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Aug 23, 2014

A seconds hand can be classed as a complication, day date etc are also complications

5. speedbird Aug 23, 2014

The minute repeater was invented in or around 1750, a full century before Omega.

I'd say the HE value on your Omega to be a complication, a useless complication in the due, but a complication none the less. Some, however, may disagree.

If you're interested in complications, two stand out. The true Mona Lisa of horology, the Beethoven's 9th of watches is the Breguet 160. It was commissioned in 1783 by Count Hans Axel von Fersen as a gift for Marie Antoinette. LA Breguet himself worked on it until his death and was finished by his son in 1827. Obviously Marie never received it since she'd lost her head by then. This watch has an amazing history, including a high value heist and disappearance. Hysek commissioned a copy so there are technically 2 of them but only one true 160 exists. Thankfully it was recovered a few years ago and to me, is the most beautiful watch ever made.

The other is the Patek Cal 89. Unlike the 160, Patek made 4 examples of the 89. These were for Patek's 150th anniversary and were introduced in 1989.

There are others of course but the 160 and 89 are my 2 favorites.

LeDave likes this.
  6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 23, 2014

I would suggest that the term "complication" refers to complications of the movement rather than appendages to the case - otherwise a screw back would also count as a complication.

LeDave likes this.
  7. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Aug 23, 2014

[​IMG]
    This watch has a lot of compications, a sub second hand with a 24 hour hand, day, date and a calender pointer and of course the chrono hands.