Forums Latest Members
  1. jamesm71 Dec 10, 2015

hi, newbie here. Ive acquired a pocket watch in a job lot. I normally buy for resale but i keep anything that sparks an interest or that i can repair with my limited beginners knowledge.
    This watch is a grand prix 1900. My first instinct was fake as theres no legible hallmark, however i have access to PMI and have determined it is 81% silver and not magnetic.
    The number 3956189 is stamped on each of the cases and it is an omega movement, however its missing some parts.

Someone has replaced the face, the hands are missing and the winder is missing...no stem or crown.

Is it possible to get these parts? Its worth it to me as its a definite keeper and ikts running.

Any advice greatly recieved.

2. jamesm71 Dec 11, 2015

Anybody? I'm really keen to restore this. it seems impossible to get any information it at all.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 11, 2015

Old pocket watch parts are often hard to come by unless you know exactly what you want. About the only things you can get new are balance staffs. Other parts often have to be made by an actual "watchmaker" which gets a bit expensive.

The best option is to look for similar watches and use them as donor movements, but the problem there is that even though your watch was made in the mass produced era, fitting parts from other watches may require some skills beyond those but watchmakers.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 12, 2015

5. jamesm71 Dec 13, 2015

thanks for your help. I didn't know where to find the calibre. I have been a precision engineer for over 20 yrs and come from a family of watch makers and repairers hence my desire to educate myself.

6. jamesm71 Dec 13, 2015

I am.confused as to why there's no hallmarks though. The value is of little interest but it's nice to know every detail.