Forums Latest Members
  1. Buckeye Jun 3, 2016

Hello everyone,

This is my second post of the week(ever). I just found this old Omega pocket watch at an estate sale this morning. The reference number is in the 5milllions which I found dates after 1915. The case is not marked for metal type so I'm assuming it's stainless or white gold plated? Anyway I know this forum is more about wrist watches but thought you would like to enjoy an Art Deco Omega.

There is an odd marking that says 7 LBS PN. What does that stand for? 7 pounds per...?
    The second hand is blued but the hour hands are like a metallic purple, should they also be "blued?"

Also, can I make this into a wrist watch with a different case? Or is that blasphemy?

Have a great day and as also thanks for your time and comments.

Craig

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 3, 2016

The term "Warranteed 25 years" on the case means that it is older than 1924. That's when they changed the law to make the manufacturers specify the content of the cases. This one is white gold-filled.

I would not recommend trying to make a wrist watch out this pocket watch. It is not shockproof. The balance, being much larger than that normally on a wristwatch, will be more prone to break the balance staff or jewel. Expensive repair.

It's very nice circa 1920 pocket watch. Enjoy it for what it is.
    gatorcpa

chronos likes this.
  3. Buckeye Jun 3, 2016

Thanks Gatorcpa!!! I'll leave it alone. Good info on the case back. That will help when I'm in the wild hunting for watches.

Any idea on the 7 lbs PN stamp?
    Thanks again,
    Craig

4. ConElPueblo Jun 3, 2016

Just thought I'd point out that this one is probably a bit early to be called Art Deco, neither is the style really in the Art Deco department. Lovely nonetheless :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 3, 2016

That is almost certainly a caliber (movement model) number. However, the picture you provided is so out of focus, we can't see what it really says. You'll need to make sure the camera is focused on the engraving and not the balance wheel next time.

The hands look to be original and yes, they are blued. The hour and minute hands probably have some natural patina. This is normal and I would not recommend cleaning or replacement unless there is a lot of rust present (which I don't really see there).

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. Buckeye Jun 3, 2016

Thanks again guys. Ill try and get better pics next time

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 3, 2016

The 5 mil serials were earliest production year of 1915 and used through to 1923 with low numbers used up to 1927.

A similar one is shown in AJTT/83, referred as Art Deco.

OPWAD.JPG

The numbers could refer to the details of the caliber as indicated in this example of a caliber 19'''

OPWLBS.JPG

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Jun 4, 2016

I can see that Omega calls the model "Art Deco". I'll just get my coat then.

JimInOz likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 4, 2016

DSTDOYWO

;)

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. Buckeye Jun 4, 2016

Hilarious!

11. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Jun 4, 2016

Nice high grade omega movement !
    I think it's the "Qualité Bsp"
    [​IMG]

12. Buckeye Jun 4, 2016

When you purchased a pocket watch in the past, were you able to select the quality of the movement and thereby pay a higher or lower price accordingly?

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 4, 2016

I think you got it. Cal. 17 L(epine) BSP N(N). Number 56 above.

Thanks
    gatorcpa

14. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Jun 4, 2016

Exactly.
    First you had to chose the case (steel, silver or gold) and then the quality of the movement. That's why we sometimes find exceptional movements inside steel cases, or low quality movements inside gold cases.

15. Buckeye Jun 4, 2016

So I have a better quality movement in a cheap case?

Out of no. 56-57 (non chronograph) was No. 57 the most advanced? Because it appears 58-59 were a smaller size....

16. Canuck Jun 4, 2016

Then there's the Louis Brandt version of the same basic movement. Railroad approved in Canada.

image.jpeg

17. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jun 4, 2016

FWIW I agree with you. It looks Arts & Crafts-y to me with a splash of Art Nouveau on the dial (the ivy engraving).

18. ConElPueblo Jun 5, 2016

My thoughts also. Considering that Art Deco wasn't "born" until 1925, I guess that Omega was a very early adopter ;)

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 5, 2016

20. Buckeye Jun 6, 2016

Yes, that is what looks like, the 1 didnt fully stamp and it's hard to make out, but you can see the 7 and the rest of the lettering. Thanks for all the research everyone!