Forums Latest Members
  1. hiennguyen4436 May 9, 2015

Hey folks,

I had a chance to visit my local AD yesterday to try on PO 42 and 45.5. I realized that 45.5 isn't big as its sound, and I think that 42 is a bit small (just my taste though) due to the thickness and the diameter. BTW I've got big arms, but small wrists falling somewhere between 6 1/4 - 6 1/2, 21 years old. I'm leaning toward 45.5. Please tell me what you think!!!
    Thanks,
    Hien

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 9, 2015

Do a search, there are several threads about this...I think the consensus is...no consensus. It's such a personal matter.

I have both and find the 42mm more wearable and the 45.5 more sporty. If I had only the opportunity to have one of them it would be the 42mm, If I have lot's of watches and am just looking for something sporty, different and a statement outside of my collection the 45.5. This is my personal opinion only.

I also do think the 45.5 may look a little off on your wrist at that size, specially if you decide to wear it on a steel bracelet.

3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 9, 2015

Like Nobel Prize said, it's too personal a decision. I tried them both on and was suprised at how the 45.5 wasn't as big as it first seems and so was leaning that way, but after a few days I had another try-on and though it was a little too big after all (my wrists are 6 1/2) so ultimately went for the 42.
    So my advice is to try them both on more than once on different days.
    Also take into consideration what you wear. So try it with a T-shirt and a dress shirt, (for example if that's what you wear for work).

Nobel Prize likes this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 9, 2015

Look at the PO GMT, it is 43.5mm.

Thegreatroberto and Nobel Prize like this.
  5. logan2z May 9, 2015

For your wrist size the 42 is probably the right choice. My wrist is 7" around and fairly flat and the 45.5mm fit me best.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 9, 2015

<opinion> 42. 45+ is just too big. </opinion>

7. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book May 9, 2015

Understanding that personal taste, how a particular watch wears, and current trends all play a factor, I still can't see how 45.5mm on a 6.25 to 6.5" wrist doesn't look anything but ridiculous. I have a 7.25" wrist and find 42mm my max. In fact, I found the Rolex Explorer ll at 42mm too big and eventually decided on the 40mm GMT Master ll. The 42mm Speedy does work for me though. Just my 2 cents

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 9, 2015

39.7 is a nice size.

9. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock May 10, 2015

I don't thik the 45 looks too big on my 7.5in wrists... But with that said, it does depend most on what your looking for. I already have a big 45mm watch and wanted something smaller I could wear with slightly more versatility, in a suit or in jeans. For this reason alone I went 42. Like NobelPrize said, if it's just for sporty then 45 all the way. But if there's a chance you may want to wear a button down shirt and cuffs then 42 may be the wiser option.

Edited May 10, 2015
  10. jcmartinez98 May 10, 2015

Also, try not wearing a watch at all for several days and then going back in. You'll find 42 will look bigger than it did if you took off, for example, a 44.25mm watch to try it on

Also, I've been through the same dilemma, and I think it matters very much what you're going to wear it with in terms of bracelet versus rubber strap. In my opinion, the white stitching on the rubber strap creates an optical illusion that makes the watch itself look smaller than it does on the bracelet

For example, while I felt that the 45 looked too big with the bracelet, it looked just fine with the rubber strap. Likewise the 42 looked great with the bracelet, but almost a bit small on the rubber strap.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  11. hiennguyen4436 May 10, 2015

Thanks for all of your inputs. I'm highly appreciated. I would get 45.5 on bracelet, get the OEM Deployant, and get after market rubber or leather strap. As a photographer, I believe I only wear bracelet 3-8 times a month; daily wear jean tshirt on strap

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 10, 2015

It's also not just an optical illusion, the steel bracelets first links add heft to the case because they make they extend the case to the end of the lugs, the strap does the exact opposite. Most people lean towards strap on the 45.5 and bracelet for the 42...with lots and lots of great exceptions.

I bought the steel bracelet for my 45.5 and thought it looked great but ended up always defaulting to straps. OEM and Not OEM.

If the 8500 Cal is too thick for you check the private sales thread. I have a 2500 D cal there for sale.( hope it's OK to mention here)

Frunkinator and jcmartinez98 like this.
  13. hiennguyen4436 May 10, 2015

@NobelPrize thank you. Where did you get your Not OEM straps at?

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 10, 2015

Just Google and a few come up on different materials. Basically anything that fits 22 mm
    The one I use the most is a calf skin green strap I originally ordered for panerai 111

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 10, 2015

Also Nato

image.jpg image.jpg
  16. MarcWinkman May 11, 2015

I've had my PO for a few months now. I have a 7" wrist and the 42mm is PERFECT in my opinion. That said, I also have wardrobe considerations to worry about. The 45.5mm PO, in addition to looking a little ridiculous on my wrist, didn't fit comfortably under any of the shirts I wear to work (long sleeve dress shirts). As others have said, however, it's largely a personal preference, and if you're happy with the 45.5 and how it looks on your wrist, go for it.

Frunkinator likes this.
  17. rwilner May 11, 2015

I think the 42 is more "marketable" -- many feel 45 is too big for their wrist. So if you are someone that trades / sells, the 42 may be better.

If you are a buy and hold kind of guy (I am), then this won't be a factor.

18. yinzerniner May 11, 2015

I truly believe that the only cardinal rule to watch sizing is that the lugs cannot extend past the width of your wrist. Other than that I believe it's all personal preference, but unless a picture is posted of how certain sizes wear on your wrist no one will be able to fully communicate their subjective opinion.
    That being said, even though I'm usually a proponent for keeping watch sizes as small as possible without looking dainty the Planet Oceans tend to wear a bit smaller than their case diameter, and I think the proportions of the 45.5 are nicer than the 42. The large bezel and hands have a bit more room to breath with the larger dial of the 45.5, whereas the 42 gets a bit crowded IMHO. But I'll echo what the others have said; try them both on and judge for yourself!

19. taxico May 12, 2015

^^^^ i agree.

i have an 8" wrist... the 42 fits perfectly in my eyes. the 45 is way too big for me.

it might help if you posted a wrist shot of some other common watch you own (eg, seiko or rolex)

Alex_TA likes this.
  20. threeputtbogey May 12, 2015

I think you hit the nail on the head OP when you said "just my taste." Buy what YOU THINK fits YOUR wrist. If you went and tried it on, then you're already ahead of most that post "which size PO" threads.