Forums Latest Members
  1. sevenhelmet Jul 29, 2017

Have tried searching here and elsewhere, but could not get any information...

What size is the bracelet on the Omega Planet Ocean 39.5mm watch? It seems smaller than 20mm, but larger than 18mm (I don't have any 18mm straps for comparison.)

Second question: I have this watch on the rubber/leather deployant, and I'm really enjoying it. However, since options are nice to have- where can I buy just the bracelet? I've considered going to an Omega boutique, as there doesn't seem to be any other outlet for these- although I know it will be very expensive.

Thanks.

2. Mozziebite Aug 2, 2017

If you're talking about the 39.5mm Master Chronometer, it's 19mm between the lugs.

3. sevenhelmet Aug 22, 2017

UPDATE: So I decided to walk into an Omega Boutique today and pony up the cash. They don't have the bracelet in stock by itself, but the store was willing to take one off a 39.5 PO they had in stock. It ended up running me about $700. That sounds like a lot (it is a lot), but it was quite a bit less than I was expecting, especially considering I've found other Seamaster bracelets that cost $750 and up on the grey market (not to mention what Rolex charges for bracelets). I was honestly expecting it to cost four figures, so that was a nice surprise.

I will say the bracelet completely changes the look of this watch! So much so that I actually double-checked the serial number to make sure the watch I was handed was actually mine. The watch looks larger and seems to sit flatter on my wrist than it does with the leather/rubber deployant strap. It's a really nice, sporty look that suits this diver well. I still very much like the black leather-on-rubber strap my watch came on originally, but I'll reserve it for more dressy occasions, expecting to use the bracelet most of the time. Having both the bracelet and the strap for this little number is like having two watches in one, at a fraction of the cost.

Planet Ocean.jpg

Happy with how this one turned out.

Edited Aug 22, 2017
  4. nurseford25 Aug 23, 2017

Looks great. This is why I always buy watches on the bracelet. Leather and rubber straps are much cheaper to add on later

Foo2rama and Shailor like this.
  5. Shailor Aug 23, 2017

I have a difficulty time understanding how watch manufacturers can charge virtually the same price for a new piece with either the bracelet or strap. Especially when a bracelet, on its own, can cost so much.

Mozziebite likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 23, 2017

This x100

7. sevenhelmet Aug 23, 2017

Interesting that you should mention that. The Omega guys were commenting that it's actually cheaper to buy this particular watch on the strap and then buy the bracelet than it is to do it the other way. They spent quite a bit of time confirming the price. It's apparently very unusual for that to happen, and it's a very new collection, having only been released just over a year ago. The sales rep initially quoted me $840, but it came down to $707 after they did some website checking.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. AnotherDon Aug 23, 2017

"The Omega Guys" are financially/numerically challenged. An OEM strap and clasp can be had for less than $840 or $707. And, if you go aftermarket, a Camille Fournet or ABP custom strap (~$300) and a Hirsch deployant clasp (~$50) is about half that amount.

That's why you should buy the watch on a bracelet and then buy the strap later.

BTW, nice looking watch.

9. nurseford25 Aug 23, 2017

That's interesting. I don't think I've seen or heard of another Omega that is cheaper on a bracelet than a strap. Weird.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 23, 2017

Your not factoring in the price difference between the 2 models. It's rare but sometimes it is cheaper to buy on strap then get the bracelet. I think the OP even stated the salesman was surprised and double checked.

11. AnotherDon Aug 23, 2017

In 20+ years of buying/selling/trading watches, I've never seen a case where buying the watch on a strap and the adding a bracelet was the less expensive option. Unless the watch on bracelet is less expensive than the same watch on a strap, then it will always be cheaper to buy the watch on the bracelet and then add the strap.

This is so because an OEM strap + an OEM clasp is less expensive than an OEM bracelet.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 23, 2017

99.9% of the time yes. But due to the variance of the cost of a Watch w/bracelet and watch on strap price difference every once in rare while it may work out the other way.

13. sevenhelmet Aug 23, 2017

Thanks!

I didn't plan on getting the bracelet when I bought this watch, but having both is a nice thing. Obviously going OEM through the boutique is typically not the cheapest option, but for this particular model's bracelet, it seems to be the best (at least for now, as the model is pretty new). I will submit that the unique size and end-shape used on this watch do limit aftermarket options somewhat (yes, any 19mm strap should work, although it will wear differently than OEM).

However, since you evidently have knowledge of OEM straps that will fit, would you mind posting a link so others who "do it right" and buy the bracelet version of his model first can save money on the strap? The uniqueness of the strap's end-shape would make this very useful info for PO 39.5mm owners who might be tempted to visit the "numerically-challenged" (but very personable) folks at the Omega Boutique, and subsequently spend too much money.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

14. AnotherDon Aug 23, 2017

Thank you for the compliment, but you have seriously over-estimated my knowledge of Omega OEM straps. I have a box of straps. There are probably 50 or 60 different straps in there ranging from 18mm up through 22mm. They are leather, ostrich, and alligator/croc. I don't care much for lizard and stingray. Of those 60 straps exactly 3 are Omega OEM...the blue croc that came with my CK2998, the goofy nylon strap that came with my Speedy Apollo XI 45 Anniv, and a brown leather and deployant clasp that was thrown in with the Speedy Apollo XV 40th Anniversary that I bought in the "Previously Loved" market.

Hands down my preference is aftermarket for straps. I like Camille Fournet and ABP. In the realm of aftermarket straps, these straps are high-end. But by going to their website, you can tailor the strap to suit your wants/needs. You can specify almost any facet of the strap. You want curved ends? No problem. You want the buckle end and holes configured to fit an Omega deployant clasp? No problem. You can get the material you want...calf skin, ostrich, croc, etc...in the color you want...black, brown, navy, honey, etc...and the style you want.

My experience has been that a calf skin strap will run $100 to $160. Crocodile will run about $300. Last winter ABP ran a 30% off sale. I picked up a couple of custom made Croc straps for a little over $200 each. And yes, they were built to work on my Omega deployant clasps. One is mounted on the clasp waiting for the watch to return from the Spa.

If you need more info or want to see some pics, send me an email. I should be back home Sunday and I can get back to you then.

Pax Vobiscum.

15. Yelfel Aug 28, 2017

Awesome and looks great! The 39.5 Blue PO is beginning to become an obsession and I can't get it out of my mind. This is dangerous.

sevenhelmet likes this.
  16. sevenhelmet Aug 28, 2017

That's exactly what happened to me with this watch!

17. omegahit2 Nov 11, 2019

would you mind sharing what the bracelet on your 39.5mm PO tapers to? I’m curious about the measurements of the clasp. In mm if you don’t mind. Thanks for the help.

18. boraxman Nov 11, 2019

Dang...Took the bracelet off my 39.5 the day I got it! Sitting in the drawer since.

fskywalker likes this.
  19. omegahit2 Nov 12, 2019

Do you have the clasp that you could measure possibly? Would really appreciate some measurements. Specifically the width

fskywalker likes this.
  20. ExpiredWatchdog Nov 13, 2019

Amazed that you got that price. I'm looking to go the other way on my SMPO Chrono Titanium and was told the rubber strap and deployant are at least that much. BTW, anyone with an Omega account can order one (or at least that's what I've been told). They may or may not have gotten you a better deal (I doubt it, that's a pretty good deal).

I paid about $140 for a single link for my bracelet through an account holder.