Forums Latest Members
  1. SpeedyMcNasty Oct 28, 2014

Hi Everyone!

I have been looking for my first mechanical watch for some time now, I had originally settled on a Rolex Sea Dweller 4000, however after visiting an Omega Boutique I am leaning towards the Ploprof. I tend to change my mind often, so I am trying to be very patient with the process and try on all of the watches that interest me and read up on each as well. I never would have even tried the watch on because of how menacing/intimidating it looks in pictures and even in person, but after trying it on it seems like a great watch and I really like the Omega movement too.

My first question is does anyone wear this as a daily wearer? I would get this watch to wear every day, I don't dive, I just really like dive watches. If anyone does wear it every day I would love your feedback. It is a big watch, but in my brief time wearing it in the store it seems to wear smaller, if that makes sense.

My second question relates to the grey market value of the Ploprof. My intention is to get this watch and keep it forever, I am not overly concerned about its value in time. However, the secondary market seems to be very soft on the Ploprof, does anyone know why? I would prefer to buy myself a new one, but even Tourneau has used Ploprofs for sale for around $2500 off of retail. It makes it hard to justify the cost of a new one. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 28, 2014

I too am thinking about getting a ploprof and have similar questions. It took me some time to get use to my PO XL and I suspect there might be a similar transition.

I have yet to buy a new watch (not counting my now sold Invicta, but since those are 400% off retail it made sense!).

There are very good fake Ploprof 1200s on the market and frankly it is scary how good they make fakes these days.

I like the idea on buying used, but be very careful on who you buy from if buying from ebay and the like.

3. SpeedyMcNasty Oct 28, 2014

Thanks for the input. I think it would be fine as a daily wearer, I just hope to get some feedback from someone who does that. The watch was really comfortable for the 5 minutes I was wearing it at the Omega Boutique.

Yeah I am pretty scared of fakes, I will only buy certified pre-owned or new. I would rather pay a little more to be 100% sure the watch is real.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

I wear it in rotation and I like it a lot - has definite wrist presence. It is a watch that you either love or hate and I think that explains the low resale value. If you intend to keep it then buy a nice used 1200 and enjoy it!

5. Ferik Oct 29, 2014

For some reason I feel the 1200 is unwieldy where the 600 is a daily wear for me, on an isofrane. Yet the 600 I can still use as a cudgel when needed.

6. SpeedyMcNasty Oct 31, 2014

Thanks for the input everyone! I am as certain as I can be that the PloProf is the right watch for me. I am going to pull the trigger in the next month or so.

Ferik, I know the 1200 is slightly larger then the 600 so maybe that is why the 1200 seems so unweildy. I also laughed out loud at the cudgel comment.

Is your 600 still waterproof? I was also considering an old Seamaster 200 shom from the 70s, but ended up deciding against it since I am not knowledgeable enough to be sure I was getting an authentic watch.

7. Ferik Oct 31, 2014

I am sure any Omega service center can make sure a 600 is waterproof. In my opinion it's a much cooler watch than the 1200. The 600 was built to get the Comex contract and beat Rolex to it (for a little while) by applying the KISS principle. The 1200 is just an homage of those times, without the pedigree. I think the way the 600 and 1000 are designed is supremely cool

8. Ferik Oct 31, 2014

9. SpeedyMcNasty Nov 3, 2014

Thanks for all the great information. Once I make a decision I will let everyone know!