Forums Latest Members
  1. karatekid Apr 29, 2014

Hi Guys
    First time poster but I have been reading a little bit here and there on this forum. I am a complete newbie when it comes
    to Omega and especially the vintage pieces. Im sure the level of expertise here is much more than I would acquire in a lifetime and therefore
    I humbly ask for your help.

Im looking to purchase my first omega and I have fallen deeply in love with the ploprof 166.077. I have done some reading myself
    and from what I understand this one has a type 1 dial and a service bezel insert. Is that correct?
    What should I think about when it comes to the insert and the dial? How bad is this
    dial according to you guys? I have read that the type 1 dial are almost impossible to find in good condition (without the bubbles or mould or what it is)...Will the value decrease substantially if I get the dial and insert swapped for service ones? Or should i look for a type 2 dial instead which are easier to find in good condition? I must say though that I do enjoy nice lume on a watch like this.

Im so sorry for all these questions and I know its difficult to be a newbie in a forum and ask for so much help without having participated in anything. I hope though that I can change that in the future:)

Here are two photos of the watch. I appreciate all help I can get. Thanks.

DSC05184_zpsbfcbe37e.jpg~original.jpeg DSC05185_zps8a374c40.jpg~original.jpeg
    Steve in SoCal likes this.
  2. michalko82 May 14, 2014

I can only comment that the case could do with an expensive refurbishment and you need to source an original bracelet...that can come to about £800, but it is probably worth it. My Ploprof is absolutely mint, but has new dial/hands and bezel (If I could marry your dial and hands with my case and bezel it would be perfect...)

3. bigdubnick May 14, 2014

No help from me - just wanted to say your avatar is badass. (RIP Pat Morita - you taught me how to paint a fence and wax a car)
    [​IMG]

4. bigdubnick May 14, 2014

Also, regardless of the answers to your questions, I think that watch looks like it's seen some real action. I'd vote to keep it as is and make up some story about how you used it to fight off a barracuda.

5. Lex4TDI4Life May 14, 2014

x2

It looks like it has seen some action, but not so much as to render it a paperweight. Biggest concern, obviously, would be whether the movement has been mucked up by moisture. If you get it, keep it as original as possible and if you really feel the need to replace the hands/dial/etc, keep the originals.

6. ulackfocus May 14, 2014

Why, thank you!

7. sulaco May 15, 2014

Nice Ploprof, all original D1 Dial and b2 bezel, no service bezel.
    Has some scars but i surely love it that way.
    If the bracelet has 24mm endlinks it might have been a bracelet option for the Ploprof, no other Omega watch in the 60/70ties had 24mm lugs.

Great watch, i would have the gaskets checked, they usually melt to tar and look after the movement too.
    Everything else leave it as it is, if you start changing things like dial, hands or bezel you will ruin the watch

Steve in SoCal and lanierdams like this.