Forums Latest Members

Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph - verify

1. diggin5 Aug 12, 2015

I just recently aquired this PO Chronograph, after the sale of another watch, and a for a decent deal secondhand. I don't know a ton about this model, so I'm just asking here to verify it's the authentic article while I still have time to return it. In addition, there are tiny spots on the crystal that won't wipe off. Is that related to the coating on the sapphire I've read about?

20150812_202322.jpg 20150812_202331.jpg 20150812_202348.jpg 20150812_202403.jpg 20150812_202413.jpg
    Please let me know either way.

Many thanks,

-Max

Edited Aug 12, 2015
  2. diggin5 Aug 13, 2015

Well, I took it to the Omega boutique at King Of Prussia, it's authentic.

What I didn't appreciate was the constant up-sell I got from the very nice people there. I like the store, the attentive service attitude is top notch, but before I walked out I was told I should get a full service, a new bracelet, and a new crystal (total, about $1,800). The full service I can understand, the bracelet might need to be replaced in a few years, but the crystal issue really bugged me. There were spots on the crystal, I said I couldn't wipe them off easily. They took it in the back, did their 6-point inspection, and said it was deep in the AR coating (required replacement), along with a "low" amplitude, and a "stretched" bracelet. I'm told a stretched bracelet can lose a pin and the watch will tumble to its death. Well, I said it's keeping great time, I think the bracelet is fine for now, but I'll consider the service and crystal. I get home, hang out with a watchmaker friend of mine later that day, he breathes on the crystal and takes a soft microfiber cloth to it, voila the dots are gone. AR coating and sapphire crystal are pristine. It's timed on his device, the supposed "low" amplitude is within spec, and watch is averaging -2 seconds per day - also within spec.

Sorry Omega boutique, you have a great front staff, but your on-site service and evaluation is pretty transparently up-sold. I dislike that shady mechanic feel, and that's what it feels like. I won't be returning unless it's a basic service like a free bracelet cleaning, or a bezel job, or for a chat and a coffee.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2015

Hello - just one question...does your watchmaker friend have a timing machine capable of measuring the balance amplitude on a co-axial watch? I have no idea if he is a professional watchmaker or a hobbyist, but most hobby level machines cannot measure balance amplitude correctly on a co-axial. If the timing machine doesn't have the special programming for the co-axial it will still give you a number for amplitude, but it won't be correct.

Cheers, Al

Tournesol2000 likes this.
  4. diggin5 Aug 14, 2015

Al,

He is not a hobbiest, he has a professional shop. As for the machine I honestly don't know, but I will ask. In any case, Omega's timing was not my main concern, the crystal issue really bothered me. I've spent money with Omega and with that store directly, I didn't expect to get sold a new crystal for basically water marks that wiped away. That is unprofessional.

There was an earlier issue with another watch I took there to be timed a few weeks ago, but I can't prove anything. Suffice it to say I needed a new balance and hairspring after I left the boutique since the watch was no longer working properly.

5. blubarb Aug 14, 2015

AceTimer.com is claiming that their upgraded timer 1000 "works on Omega Co-axial movements" whatever that means. I have my doubts from the little I have read and heard. I suppose the claim "also works on co-axial movements" is perhaps a generalist claim. I have one for the "fun of it" but I would never take its readings on any of my watches too seriously and certainly not on my co-axials of which I only have one now. Am I missing something? Have there been such improvements to these "cheapies"?

From their website:
    "New improvements made:
    Also works on Omega Co-axial movements
    On/off button on AC Adapter
    Comes with American and European Outlet Plug"

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2015

Not arguing that your experience wasn't ideal for sure. Is the person doing the evaluation at the boutique done by a boutique technician, or a boutique watchmaker? Big difference, and based on the damaged balance after timing adjustment, I'm thinking it was a boutique technician...not that a watchmaker can't have a bad day, but having to replace a balance is a pretty big feck-up.

Cheers, Al

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2015

Yes "whatever that means" is the key thing. Does it mean that the machine will measure daily rate and beat error? Then yes that's true as no special program is needed for that.

Does it mean it will accurately measure balance amplitude, which is what I specifically commented about above? Not likely, but then again I don't tend to research what upgrades are being made to these machines. As I said it will give you a number, so technically it "works" but the number won't be right.

No watch brand that I know of that has requirements for the equipment in your shop to get a parts account will accept these cheap machines...

Cheers, Al

8. blubarb Aug 14, 2015

Exactly.

9. diggin5 Aug 14, 2015

Al,

It was a boutique technician. I brought the watch in, they tinkered around and amazingly my hairspring was bent at a 90 degree angle by the time I left. They claimed it was like that when I brought it in, yet it timed pretty well and was losing about a minute a day before they touched it. When I left it was gaining 10 seconds per minute, and needed to be replaced. Again, I don't have proof, I didn't see the inside of the watch prior to them touching it, but it had been serviced the week before and was running well. A $45 fix, but I have now lost all confidence in these supposed "Technicians."

-Max

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2015

Can I ask what watch that was that they replaced the balance on? $45 for a balance complete is pretty cheap. Lucky it wasn't the Cal. 3313 I assume in the PO chronograph - new balance for that is about 10X what you paid for the other...

I've written about this before, and the training these guys receive is pretty limited (compared to what a watchmaker goes through). Although I'm sure there are plenty of them that do the job well, just as there are watchmakers who don't, my feeling is that you are more likely to have an issue with a technician doing the work than a fully trained watchmaker.

Oh and the old blue tint AR coating can sometimes be a bear to get the marks off. It sounds like the marks on yours came off easily, but I find using cleaner for eyeglasses is sometimes the only thing that will cut through it all and get the crystal sparkling again (even using 99% alcohol won't get the marks off sometimes). It depends a bit on the brand, but this rarely lets me down.

Cheers, Al

11. diggin5 Aug 14, 2015

Al,

The balance was for a Seamaster 2531.80, Brosnan's automatic. $45 through Otto, and locally sourced as an ETA movement part. Works great.

This may not work, but I have a few pictures of what happened to the other hairspring:
    20150725_154858.jpg 20150725_154852.jpg

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2015

As far as I can tell, the only "upgrades" the Ace Timer people make to the $10 machines they import from China in bulk:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/NO-1000-weishi-mechanical-watch-timing_60002238123.html

(Or for all models)
    http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=timegrapher

Is the decal they stick to the front of them saying Ace Timers, and the 1600% upgrade in price.