Forums Latest Members
  1. Mehdiuz Dec 25, 2017

Hi folks,
    As everybody knows, since 2015 omega has stopped supplying distributors with parts
    Which makes maintaining our watches quite challenging and expensive
    As an example I've an old constellation for which I was looking for a bracelet, just couldn't find it I've contacted omega and their answer was you have to take it to an AD or to an omega service center....come on omega fir a bracelet!
    Many other brands like rolex are doing the same thing since a long time and that's why i enjoyed owning omegas as i had the right to chose who is going to fix my watch using genuine parts
    This honestly is putting me off of this brand despite the fact that I really like their watches

I recently both 2 brand new ones a speedy and an SMP but l think that these are my latest omega watches

Your thoughts on omega monopoly on the spare parts is welcome

2. Canuck Dec 25, 2017

In fairness to Omega (Swatch Group), they were one of the last of the prominent Swiss watch manufacturers to cut off parts supply. Name a well known watch brand that hasn’t done this. We don’t have to like it, but we’ll have to live with it. Or otherwise jump through the necessary hoops to become an Omega certified watchmaker. But who has the money to do that?

M'Bob likes this.
  3. Mehdiuz Dec 25, 2017

Exactly M'Bob they were the last and that's they were my brand numero 1...noq thatbthey have joind the SW group I dont find them fun anymore

And I m sure that a lot of people think the same way

The question is should we just get along with it or should we make sure that Omega understand that a lot of us are not happy with it...and that some of us will just look for a new love

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 25, 2017

I'm not sure what bracelet it is you need (if you provide me information about the watch or if you know the bracelet, I can look it up for you), but Omega corporate is not going to sell you parts regardless of the restrictions put in place in 2015. So that answer they are giving you now, to seek out a point of retail sale like an AD or service center, is the same answer they would have given you before 2015.

FYI - Bracelets, straps, buckles, spare links (and other items that are attachments to the watch and not part of the watch head), are and never were restricted parts. Anyone can walk into an AD, Boutique, or service center and buy these items, so you don't need a parts account to do so. But you do have to seek out a point of retail sales.

Cheers, Al

watchyouwant and watch3s like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 25, 2017

If you have a well equipped, modern shop, the additional cost of getting certified is minimal.

propervinyl likes this.
  6. Mehdiuz Dec 25, 2017

Hi Al
    Thanks for clarifying that for me ,
    The particular bracelet ref is 020ST1155146 I'd be grateful if you could give me the part number for the links please as I will try tonsource either one i Could find.

In the past watch part distributors whre able to sell this kind of accessories and watch part and life was good, as it was possible to order whatever parts I wanted online and handover to the whatch guy of my choice to do the repair

Now I'm stuck with the only omega AD availble to me whom is charging some insane fees(much more than what's advertised in omega website) for his services and sending the watch somewhere else is not really an option due to export\import hassle

I'm sure that omega customers in situation like mine where not part of the decision making process on 2015....hhh butbsuch is life I guess

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 25, 2017

114ST1155/1

I don't know where you live, but people send watches to other countries for service on a regular basis. There is a process to follow when importing or exporting anything for repairs - it's not difficult and I do this all the time as I service watches from all over the world. Also, if you have a local watchmaker that you want to work with, ask them why they are not willing to get a parts account with Omega.

I would be very happy if all the companies that restrict parts would just openly supply them to whoever wanted them, but unfortunately that is not the reality in the industry these days. As much as people complain about the Swatch group, they still have the most open parts distribution of any of the major groups. LVMH and Richemont are far more restrictive...

But keep in mind that these are publicly held companies, and their only duty is to maximize profits for their shareholders, just like any other large corporation.

Cheers, Al

watch3s and watchyouwant like this.
  8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 25, 2017

While we're on the subject, I'm sure that buying items like bracelet links works out a lot cheaper from Omega than a third party like Ofrei.

watch3s likes this.
  9. 77deluxe Dec 25, 2017

@Archer -
    Do you ever envision a time when 3D printing will eradicate the need for manufacturer provided internal/movement parts? Or is this wishful futurism ( like the idea of me programming a robot to go to work for me so I can read OF all day).

10. Mehdiuz Dec 25, 2017

Well, I leave where sending a watch or anything overseas is a nightmare take my word gor it but my case is out of the scope of the main topic
    So my understanding is that you guys are happy with the swatch group philosophy...

11. 77deluxe Dec 25, 2017

I’m not happy with restricting parts.

12. henrikaa Dec 25, 2017

It is probably a matter of time before this will be an industry standard for everything related to mechanical spare parts.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 25, 2017

If that is your conclusion reading the posts that have been made, then you have an active imagination. Literally no one has said they are happy with this.

I see the idea put forward often that people will be able to push a button and print parts that are ready to drop in a movement at will, and that it's just around the corner. The corner never seems to get close enough to turn...

I've gone through the difficulties in this previously, so I won't repeat it all here, but simple parts will be possible (provided someone has accurate models to use) but many items that are considered individual watch parts, are in fact complex assemblies made of different materials, that require different engineering properties. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Cheers, Al

watch3s likes this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 25, 2017

I'm still waiting for the flying cars that I was promised as a child in the 1960's.

[​IMG]

Not holding my breath for 3D printed watch parts anytime soon.
    gatorcpa

watch3s and dall-houston like this.
  15. Professor Dec 25, 2017

There are actually a number of workable flying car designs available. Only reason we don't see them around is the law aren't keen on a drunk driver plowing a heavy vehicle full of jet fuel through the roof of an apartment house one Saturday night.

I'd like a robot maid like the one played by Julie Newmar in the TV series "My Living Doll".
    Only problem is I could only afford a factory blem with half the scalp missing leaving those little dots on the head and it would walk with a list to starboard like Long John Silver.

16. Mehdiuz Dec 26, 2017

Hi Al,

In fact my imagination isn't that creative....but reading things like " that's how the market works"; "everybody is doing it anyway so why not Omega".... etc made come to my conclusion

Now if we are all unhappy about it let's do something about ....and get oue voice heard by Omega

Btw did you get a chane to check my bracelet\link part numbers for me
    Many thanks in advance

Mehdi

17. Professor Dec 26, 2017

I had figured they stopped supplying major parts like cases dials and such to prevent or cut down on counterfeiting.
    I noticed when looking through generic watch parts on one site they had what they called a Omega replacement dial but admitted it was not made by Omega.
    The posts on fake Omegas usually mention that these can be spotted by the often poorly faked dials. I remember someone saying that they were unaware that Omega marked their dials with a Sharpie.

I'd like to find a usable case for my DeVille but I can see the point in restricting sale of some parts.

PS
    It comes to mind that when Cuba threw out all the US companies they were left with several factories that made replacement body parts for 1950's automobiles. For some time you could find suspiciously new looking 50's Chevies all over Cuba.
    In Red China one of the most common automobiles for decades was the old Checker Cab, the design altered to serve as everything up to luxury sedans and official vehicles. Thats because Checker had a factory in China that the Reds took over. They even imported some Chinese made Checker Cabs into the USA at one point. A very sturdy vehicle.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2017

No one has said those quotes in this thread, in particular the second one. The first one, even if it was said by someone, is a statement of the reality - that does not mean it is approval.

Sure - what's your plan?

You really should read these posts more carefully. If you did you would see that no one here is happy with Omega's parts supply policies, and you would also see I've posted the part number for you already...

lando likes this.
  19. Mehdiuz Dec 26, 2017

Well I know that no one has sayed using the exact wording that I've used ...but that my understanding of quite few posts, whenever there is a reality statement in a forum like this which is not followed by a personal opinion for me it's a consent...with which I don't have a problem the onky thing is yhat I'm part of people that aren't happy with it,anyway

My plan is to find a way to make our voice heard
    Let's start a petition in avaaz for example and if we are a lot of omega lovers signing it ...it may result in something at least the swatch group will know what we are thinking us the costumers without whim the brand will simply disappear
    Well thank you very much for the part number byt imight be was expecting to much (ahummm was waiting for a lead ti supplier who has them....) But if you don't have one thanks alot I really appreciate your help

Peace
    Mehdi

Edited Dec 26, 2017
  20. Mehdiuz Dec 26, 2017

Mr Professor
    I don't think thst cutting the supply for parts will stop counterfeiting in anyway
    If we take Rolex as an example it has been a while that they don't sell parts to distributors but I've seen some really scary clones on the net and read few articles about the subject were theyvsaid that tge clones were so good that it takes an experienced rolex watchmaker to spot them

IMHO the main reason is to make more profit by forcing people to go to omega for servicing their watches and to channelise the max of the profits back to Switzerland

77deluxe likes this.