Forums Latest Members

Omega Oversized Advertising Clocks (Street Clocks, Dealership Clocks, Shop Front Clocks))

1. 489G Aug 26, 2016

Hello,

does anyone know if Omega actually makes any of the "Omega" advertising street clocks or shop front oversize clocks that hang outside buildings or Omega dealerships? Are they sanctioned by Omega? Does their mechanism have anything to do with Omega?

Would anyone care to post similar Omega advertising clocks from around the world? Preferably old photos/old Omega advertising clocks? I wonder how far back Omega dealeships or Omega resellers did this sort of advertising.

Examples attached (photos not mine)

Omega Advertising.png Omega Advertising Clock.png Omega Connecticut.png Omega Hong Kong.png OMEGA-Clock_WangFuJing-Department-Store_2.jpg omega-firm-jeweller-geneva-city-shop-window.jpg omega-firm-wang-fu-jing-street-clock-beijing.jpg
  2. 489G Aug 26, 2016

Just to be clear, I'm posting this to Vintage Omega Watches Help, because I'm researching an Omega shop front advertising clock that appears outside an Omega dealership, in Greece, circa 1930...
    Same clock on the same building around 1970, same clock (just the iron frame remaining...) on the building today...

Omega Dealership 1930.jpg Building 1970.jpg Omega Frame 2016.jpg
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 26, 2016

4. 489G Aug 26, 2016

Thanks Foo2rama,

without going into much detail, I can assure you that this was in fact an Omega advertising clock, outside the Greek Omega representative's jewelry and watch shop (one clearly sees Omega written--in Greek ΩΜΕΓΑ-at the base of the clock. I have exhaustively researched this, down to the owner of the shop. What I do not know is whether this or any other Omega oversized advertising clocks were ever made or sanctioned by Omega.

Omega Adv Clock 1930 Greece.png
    watchyouwant likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 26, 2016

I missed that detail, I did not zoom in. You can contact the Omega museum. Although in that thread I posted I think it shows that someone did and Omega says they did not produce large movements.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 26, 2016

There is a small company in Switzerland that makes branded "advertising" clocks for various companies. They also make many of the clocks seen in the above pics and at airports etc around the world. I don't know how far back they go but I suspect there were companies doing the same thing for Omega and others.

Not to be confused with the "dealer" clocks seen on eBay which all come from China.

I'll see if I can find them.

489G likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 26, 2016

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  8. 489G Aug 28, 2016

Consistently solid info coming from JimInOZ, as always, thanks!
    I'll check with the company and see if I find out more.

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 28, 2016

Taken for granted around here, one of our finest!

489G and Tritium like this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 29, 2016

I'm in good company Jim :thumbsup:

489G and Tritium like this.
  11. 489G Sep 7, 2016

A brilliant article about outdoor clocks, street clocks and advertising clocks in New York, here: http://forgotten-ny.com/1999/05/street-clocks/
    Does anyone know of a similar article/website/forum where European advertising clocks are discussed?
    Wouldn't it be nice if we started compiling such a list, together with photos? And then maybe limit it to Omega? I'm sure we will be able to learn much about Omega's history and presence in various European countries this way.

12. Superdoc Sep 7, 2016

The modern sporting events clocks are amazingly detailed... IMG_3434.jpg IMG_3436.jpg IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg