Forums Latest Members
  1. cromaduc Mar 20, 2017

Hi There,
    I'm a great fan of vintage plastic glass automatic watches, but at the moment they are out of my budget so I read anithing about waitng the right opportunity to buy some that fit to my preferences.

You can imagine the breathtaking surprise thath freeze my face when in a box from my grand father I found this wonderful watch.

An hand is loose in the dial, but I think is not a great problem to fix it. The dial is in wonderful conditions, and so the movement (perfect working). I wrote at Omegawatch asking for some detail about this watch and a paper with that is on the way.

but searching around I found nothing about this model. A lot about centenary, constellation, etc. Searching for the reference I found some models with arabic numbers but no one in gold with this hour signs only.

Asking to my grand ma she said that remember my grandfather buyng it around '49 or '50.

anyone can tell me more about it?

thanks! IMG_4524.jpg IMG_4526.jpg IMG_4527.jpg IMG_4528.jpg IMG_4530.jpg

Marco - Italy

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 20, 2017

If you found nothing on the net about your watch, you do not know how to search.

Yes, I can tell you something about your watch that it has a repainted dial and a replaced, non chronometre rotor.

3. cromaduc Mar 20, 2017

Hi hoipolloi,
    Mi grandpa dies in '87, as my grandma says, wearing this a very few times. After his death the watch was close in a box since I found it. so I'm almost sure it was not modded in any way.

I found many infos about post-centenary/pre constellation editions of this watch.
    Moreover, at Omega they say that the bumper movement in the 2515 is chronometer certified (https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/19445/).

more here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/incoming-omega-automatic-chronometer-2515-cal-333.6519/
    and here: http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf.forumpost/fi-677/ti-471196/pi-2820421/

But I don't find versions without arabic numbers like this particular. And all I like to know is more about the story of this very model.
    anyway, as Omega says an info sheet is on the go and I will post it as soon I will receive it.

Thanks for your kind replay and advice.

Marco

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 20, 2017

It sure looks like hoipolloi is correct about the deal being refinished. For one thing, look at the minute marks and how inconsistent they are at the hour markers. Also the text was poorly done.

It is an old watch, and may have been worked on long before '87.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 20, 2017

It is likely the redial work was done many, many years ago during a routine service. Very common back then when your grandfather was around.

It is also possible that you have the original rotor. Although the cal. 333 was a chronometer rated movement, not all examples have the engraving on the rotor. Most do, and for that reason the market favors those watches with engraved rotors.

In any case, Omega has no records to verify which rotor was originally installed on which watch.

One of the Ref. 2515 examples featured in your links does not have any numerals, like yours. I think that part is fine, it's just that the dial was refinished.

Hope this helps.
    gatorcpa

alam likes this.
  6. cromaduc Mar 20, 2017

I apologize!
    Was not my intention to doubt about a long experienced extimator like hoipolloi a all you on the forum, expecially as a newbie like me!
    I express only the think that there are few probabilities that the dial was changed (knowing my grandpa and his obsessive conservative mind).
    I think is very possible that it received cosmetic attentions!

thanks a lot

marco

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. cromaduc Mar 20, 2017

Hi gatorcpa, thanks.
    At Omega they asked me for the serials on the case and the movement... I don't know what tey are exactly shipping to me.
    so... I will keep you posted!

8. cromaduc Mar 20, 2017

Do you think this is a post centenary version?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 20, 2017

Model 2515

Serial on the movement starts with 11. The case 10.

It's a nice watch but the redial affects collectors value. Pay 200-300 for a service and enjoy your watch with a family history.

cromaduc likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 20, 2017

You're already asked Omega for this, but here goes.

I have a Ref. 2517. Same watch with a center seconds movement. Serial number on movement is 11.5M. Omega told me it was originally sold in 1950.

Yours should be about the same.

Small size (Ref. 2499) Centenary models with the same cal. 333 movement were produced from 1948 and at least through 1952. Maybe a bit later than that. Those watches had solid gold dials.

Yours is neither pre- nor post-Centenary. It is contemporary with them.
    gatorcpa

cromaduc likes this.
  11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 20, 2017

2017-03-20_10-56-12.jpg
    My 333 with original rotor.

cromaduc, alam and gatorcpa like this.
  12. cromaduc Mar 20, 2017

Thanks you all. your're very kind!
    I for shure will service the watch and will wear it proud and happy! :)