Forums Latest Members
  1. JY3BZ Jul 25, 2015

[​IMG]

Hello Forum,

New member here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong thread/section.

I have an excellent collection of watches, however I do have one that is extra special.

Thanks again, input & advice is much appreciated. image.jpg image.jpg

Edited Nov 19, 2018
  2. OMTOM Jul 25, 2015

A beauty! DIBS if I may...
    Tom

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 25, 2015

Rare- great piece and never have seen one like it!

4. ConElPueblo Jul 25, 2015

Beautiful! I'm intrigued as to why it's cased in gold - it's very much a tool watch, so unless it was some kind of special presentation watch, I do not see why it was so?

5. OMTOM Jul 25, 2015

I will try to hazard some guesses: maybe someone will correct me and go further.

To start with the watch, it looks like an Omega Olympic split-seconds chronograph, dating probably to the 1960s. The movement is probably a 53.7 CHROR 1/10 (24’’’) – so it’s a ‘rattrapante’ and presumably has two second hands (I think I can see two shadows).

The movement originated in 1932 and is a ‘pin set’ – but in your version, the pin is replaced by a screw (at one o’clock): you have to unscrew it in order to push it in and then set the time with the crown. The stopwatch/timer part is started/stopped/reset using the crown. The button at 11 o’clock is to control the split second.

If you have access to a copy of the fabulous book ‘A Journey Through Time’, you’ll find lots of info on pages 562 to 566.

I think this combination of dial and buttons was used in the calibers 206 and 1131, both about 1966. These were produced in either ‘crinkle’ black and/or stainless steel – so the gold case is a special.

Turning to the watch itself and carrying case, I’m afraid I don’t recognize the crest on the back – but it looks like a Middle Eastern royal crest (shouldn’t be too difficult to trace). It wasn’t (isn’t!) too unusual for ‘special’ watches to be ordered – either as singles or even as a batch (for presentation to specials).

So I would guess your watch (with these markings) is either unique or one of only a few.

But finally turning to your own avatar – this looks to me like the pilot’s wings of a military unit. Maybe from the same part of the world?

Thanks for showing us this delightful riddle.
    Tom

Tire-comedon and TNTwatch like this.
  6. OMTOM Jul 25, 2015

I should have looked further at my own reference! Page 568 of AJTT shows the same watch. Omega Olympic Grand Luxe MG 6715, calibre 1031.

It also states that ‘One model of this very limited series was presented to Prince Philip at the 1967 Pan-American Games in Winnipeg’.

Tom

7. JY3BZ Jul 25, 2015

Tom,

I would like to thank you for shedding light on this beautiful time peiece. I would also like to further applaud you on your analytical skills and excellent eye for detail. The crest on the rear is that of the Jordanian royal family and therefore associated with the Middle East as suggested by yourself, very well spotted on the avatar. I'm truly impressed by how you tied it all together.

Again thank you Tom for taking the time out of your day and and providing me with priceless info.

I have added more pictures of the exterior leather case that accompanies this Omega

Regards,

L

image.jpg image.jpg
  8. OMTOM Jul 25, 2015

Thank you. You have a lovely watch.

Here is a link to a post by esteemed member MSNWatch (2 years ago) – in which he rates the movement (essentially the same as yours) as one of the most beautiful that Omega ever made.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...ost-beautiful-movements-omega-ever-made.4375/

Another post was from a member who worked on it himself(!) and loved it because he could almost climb inside it.

But the gold case and leather pouch makes yours very special.
    Tom

9. Speedmasterfan88 Aug 25, 2016

Wow! Not a big Fan of stopwatches usually, but this one Is truly amazing! Some more pictures of the Watch maybe? ::love:: The carrying/presentation case looks very high quality too!

10. Wongo Aug 25, 2016

One word for me. Woooooooo