Forums Latest Members

Omega Newb Here, could use some help

1. Watchfellas Jun 11, 2017

Hey guys,
    As it says in the title, I am a total newb here and my name is Mike Ferro, everyone calls me Ferro. My father loved watches, I remember as a kid him dragging mom and I to the mall where we would hit JC Pennys so he could look at the newest Seiko watches. He bought me my first watch when I was in 3rd grade and I have been hooked on watches ever since. Sadly a few days after getting my very first Bradley's watch (Bradley's was a department store on the East Coast, like Walmart) I few over the handlebars of my BMX bike and completely scratched the hell out of the bezel. I cried and cried, of course Dad ran out and bought me another one and told me to be more careful. Man was I, I treated that $5 watch like it was gold and never took it off.

Fast forward a few year and Dad passed away when I was only 15 years old, but I kept our bond alive by collecting watches. I started with brands like Kenneth Cole & Guess, then moved into Invicta. From there I really got into diving watches and still love Boutique and Microbrand Divers, but really wanted to go to the next level. Decided on an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and so I sold off some watches I had as well as just saved a bit and finally bought the watch I am in love with. Omega PO GMT Biceramic black/white bezel on bracelet. Model 215.30.44.22.01.001 picture attached.

I'm in love with this watch, the only issue is I have an 8 1/4 inch wrist. Therefore it barely fits me with the adjustable clasp extended out as far as it will go. I could really use an extra link or even possibly two, but trying to get them seems to be impossible. Can anyone help with this? I have written to Omega's customer service twice now over the past few weeks and have heard nothing back other than the confirmation that they received my messages. The nearest Omega Boutique is roughly 250 miles from me so that is not the easiest. If anyone knows an easier way for me to get a couple links, I would really appreciate it. My other watch groups are filled with guys who would give you the shirt off their back, I am sure this group is no different. Thanks to everyone for your time in reading my story as well as any help I can get.

- Ferro Omega Planet Ocean GMT.jpg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 11, 2017

Hello Ferro!

You can call an Omega Boutique and they can ship to you. Or they can give you the part number and any local authorized dealer can order the part.

Watchfellas likes this.
  3. Watchfellas Jun 11, 2017

Thank you Sir, I tried calling an Omega Boutique to do just that and they wanted me to bring the watch in rather than doing anything over the phone. Maybe I will try calling a different one and see what happens. Thanks again.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. bnabod Jun 11, 2017

Try ADs as well. I called and emailed my local OB and got zip from them. I then called the AD in town and they told me they could easily order the clasp I needed and three days later they had it in the store ready for me to pick it up. So don't give up.

Watchfellas likes this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 11, 2017

Polite questions from a gentleman is such a refreshing change from the full-moon rants we have had lately!

8 1/4 eh?

Incredible Hulk jokes to follow.

There are service based boutiques and then there are sales based.
    I hope someone here can provide a great solution for you!

I'm an old fart that likes old watches, sorry!

But, welcome and I wish you all the best!

Jking likes this.
  6. Watchfellas Jun 11, 2017

Hi Uncle Buck,
    LOL, yes......Hulk like wrists to say the least. I am a full blooded, Italian guy and with my Hulk sized wrists, comes respect for my fellow man. Respect is everything and as a guy who runs a few of my own watch groups, I do not allow anyone to disrespect anyone else. That is why you will never hear a gripe out of me, especially when entering someone's else's house. I am a newb here so I would rather sit back and learn from all of you than argue, which would be rather counterproductive....though sadly I see it done, each and every day. As for the link situation, it's funny, the cheaper the watch, the more links they come with. Back in my Invicta days, those things came with darn near a 10 inch bracelet on them. The more expensive watches I have gotten into, I always have to ask before buying if it will fit my wrist without having to purchase extra links along with the watch. I asked before buying this one and was told I would have no issues. To be fair, with the clasp extended all the way, the watch does fit. However, I would rather not have the clasp extended all the time and use it for the micro adjustments on hot days when maybe my wrist swells a bit. I also like a little play in my bracelets so that when I take my watch off, I don't have the caseback image indented into my wrist. I will follow some of the advice above and try some ADs to see what I can come up with. Thanks again guys and thanks Uncle Buck for your humor and well wishes, I appreciate it Sir.

7. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jun 11, 2017

Welcome, Ferro! Are you in New England?

I miss Bradlees. And Caldor. And Zayre. Not so much Ames as they stank at everything.

Watchfellas likes this.
  8. Watchfellas Jun 11, 2017

LOL, I grew up in Bristol Connecticut but moved to Kansas City, Missouri before middle school. I remember all of those places, miss them along with Shop Rite...lol

ahartfie likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 12, 2017

KC eh?
    Have you tried the Boutique in West St. Louis county? I'm guessing that's the one 250 miles from you.
    It's only a hop for me if I can be of any assistance.

Watchfellas likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 12, 2017

Odd.

I can see the concern of needing 2 links, 1 link and a half link or 1 link.

Watchfellas likes this.
  11. Watchfellas Jun 12, 2017

I'm going to do a bit more digging today and see what I can come up with. Thanks again and yes, the one in St. Louis would be the one 200 miles and change away from me. Thanks for the offer, I will see what my investigating brings today.