Forums Latest Members
  1. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Feb 12, 2016

Morning gents,

Some time ago I got some pictures from a seller for what he described as an Omega "Bubbleback". I ultimately passed on the watch as the movement looked a bit rough and the price was too high for my limited budget.

The other day I was reading our member's, Franco's, fantastic posts about the 30mm Chronometers for the 3rd time and noticed the paragraph and picture of the Ref 2254 which has a white jewel holding the pallet cock. For some reason it reminded me of the "Bubbleback" (for lack of a better name). At the time I didn't have great pictures of the watch and the shots are ultimately unclear. Anyway, looking at the pictures I have, it appears that this movement too has a white jewel. No where in the article does it say that the white jewel was exclusive to the 2254 and as such I am unsure if it appears in other movements.

The "Bubbleback" does not have a reference number in the caseback, either because it isn't legible or because its a replacement. The movement number and case number, which is legible, date the parts to 1939 and 1944 respectively. From my limited knowledge the parts can fit each other chronologically. The movement shot is not clear and I cannot make out the engravings on the mainplate. It is obvious, I think, that it is either a 30SC, 30T1 or 30T2SC as it is a 16 jewel movement with no shock protection.

Can anyone shed more light on this before I pester the seller for more pictures of a watch he has likely sold a year ago?

Pictures:
    IMG_8190.JPG

IMG_8195.JPG

IMG_8197.JPG

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2016

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but clear jewels in the pallet cock are not unusual on these movements. I have recently serviced a 30SCT2 with one, and a 30T2 with one...

3. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Feb 12, 2016

I guess I was asking whether this may be a chronometer grade movement as the other 30mm chronometers. The absence of a reference number, the white jewel (no perhaps debunked) and what appears to be a stepped bezel got me guessing.

Probably looking into it too much. Thanks for the response!

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 12, 2016

No, I think all of the 30mm movements had this feature. I think some of the early bumper automatics did as well.

Not sure when they changed over to the colored stone at that position. Maybe late 1940's?
    gatorcpa

5. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Feb 12, 2016

Thanks for the clarification! It seems that you are always the one to answer my dumb questions @gatorcpa Thank you for taking the time!

arkstfan likes this.
  6. Pvt-Public Feb 12, 2016

P1111926.JPG The regulator on a 30mm chronometre is obviously different.

7. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Feb 12, 2016

Yeah as far as I know the differences between the regular movements and the chronometers were the hairspring, balance wheel, pallet lever, regulator and the better finishing to the parts.

I think the white jewel and the colour of the movement threw me off but I know better now. We live and we learn.:thumbsup: