Forums Latest Members

Omega MK40 with engraving on the back

1. yousefsl Jun 2, 2016

Hi all I purchased this old omega MK40 a while ago and it didn't have any box or papers, the funny thing about the watch is that it has an engraving on the back saying *Bob WM 1997* I asked the seller if he knew what it meant and he had no idea, he told me he could easily polish it off if I didn't like it, obviously I said no no no leave it be, here is a picture of the watch

[​IMG]

I changed the strap, the original strap was in great condition so I decided to preserve it, here is a picture of the engraving

[​IMG]

Initially I thought it was the previous owners name but a quick search on Google shows a video of a bobsleigh race sponsored by Omega

[​IMG]

I'm sure this engraving is nothing special but if anyone knows anything about this engraving I would greatly appreciate it, thanks all in advance and I look forward to your replies.

2. meganfox17 Jun 2, 2016

Hi @yousefsl

I dunno[emoji52] The first thing that came to my mind was Bob Sleigh Welt-Meister-Schaft
    ( WM ) in German or Bob Sleigh World Championship in St Moritz Switzerland 1997
    Team USA took the bronze in both 2/4 man bobsleigh events[​IMG]
    That You Tube video was shot by Christian Reich an ex Bobsledder from Switzerland so it appears on the screen as Christian Reich Schweiz ( Swiss )
    Anyway that's a Cool Collectors item timepiece [​IMG]

Edited Jun 2, 2016
  3. yousefsl Jun 2, 2016

Hi thank you for that information I'll do some more research on that, the original strap that I got with this watch was in fact the black leather strap like the one in the picture, I wonder if one of the team was wearing this watch or perhaps it was a prize given to one of the team members, anyway it just makes me love the watch more now that it might have has a nice history behind it. Nice nato on the picture you sent me I may try that combination out. Thanks again.

4. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 2, 2016

Maybe try getting an extract from the archives. At the very least it will tell you where it was sold.

yousefsl likes this.
  5. yousefsl Jun 2, 2016

Thank you I'll defiantly check that out, do you know what sort of information they provide with the extract? Have you tried it? Thanks again.