Forums Latest Members

Omega mesh bracelet - from glossy 'bling' to a subtle matt.

1. JACK G Jul 28, 2016

A few years back I bought a Seamaster 200 'Banana' dial with an original Omega bracelet and end links.

As is usual with watches of this period the end links did not fit too well and I tried a number of alternative straps including a couple of leather options before fitting an Omega mesh. The mesh was comfortable but a little too 'blingy' for this watch so I wanted to tone it down a little.

I decided to have the two mesh lengths bead blasted but left the clasp as is and took these parts to an Essex based company who completed the job in about 10 minutes for the modest price of £20.

Fast forward a few years to yesterday and I thought it was time to share this modification and take a few pics......................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Delroyb Jul 28, 2016

You've just inspired me to have one of my meshes blasted. Thanks!

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 28, 2016

Did they do both sides of the mesh?

I have mesh in 20, 22, and 24. They are the best. I would love the matted look on one side and shiny on the other. I'm wondering if that would be possible.

OMGRLX likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 28, 2016

I remember somebody on WUS did the dull/shiny mesh thing. I think he used Scotchbrite to dull the mesh.

When he wanted a change he just flipped the mesh on the watch/clasp.

I've been thinking of doing it to one of mine.

Lonestar and cmdumond like this.
  5. Ken G Jul 28, 2016

Interestingly, that's how the Ploprof 1200m mesh is (shiny on the inside).

Taddyangle likes this.
  6. JACK G Jul 29, 2016

Yes they did both sides of the mesh but you could ask to have just one side only blasted.

As an aside have you noticed that each side of the mesh has a slightly different look.

Lonestar likes this.
  7. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jul 29, 2016

Exactly... the "rounded" side (which is sold facing the wrist side when you unwrap the strap from the omega bag, at least it was like this for mine) looks blingier than the "flattened" side, brings more reflexions. The scotchbrite pad trick would only work on the flattened side anyway, I think :)

In any case, I don't care, I like the bling looks on mine :cool:

8. JACK G Jul 29, 2016

Well described.

I have nothing against the bling look which suits my 1970s Ploprof just fine. I just happen to prefer the look of the bead blasted on my Seamaster 200.

9. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jul 29, 2016

And I love your SM200 Banana with that strap, btw :) and I agree the mattified metal with the grey dial and sunburst case looks killer :)

JACK G likes this.