Forums Latest Members

Omega Memomatic "Pilot Line" (ST 166.0071) - Sunburst Or Circular Brushing ?

1. webvan Jun 18, 2013

I'd been looking into getting an Omega Memomatic for some time and after seeing (and missing) a nice cushion version (ST 166.0072) on TZ-UK this week-end I decided to go on a search mission...and I found one, but the "Pilot Line" version (ST 166.0071) which is a bit of an acquired taste unless you're a sucker for all things 70s like I am ;-)

So far so good, but after being told it was NOS and unworn and only opened for servicing, I noticed that the brushing was of the circular type as opposed to the usual sunburst type. This got me wondering and looking for an explanation...and while I didn't find any other examples, there is indeed a Sunburst brushing Flightmaster (ST145.026) and a Circular brushing Flightmaster (ST145.036).

Here's the watch I'm being offered with its circular brushing in evidence :

[​IMG]

Here is a ST 166.0071 from the Omegamania auction :

[​IMG]

So does anyone have thoughts on this, could it be a rare (undocumented) variation or was it rebrushed the "easy" circular way at some point in its life? Thanks!

For reference purposes I'm including links of interest :
    - The Definitive Memomatic guide by Desmond/Mondodec : link (only mentions the radial/sunbust finish)
    - The old Vintage Omega Database Page (who else misses the "More Product Information" paragraph ?) :
    [​IMG]

2. flame Speedmaster Neil Jun 18, 2013

Hi

I believe both finishes are correct....starburst & circular....you can see this on the MkIII Speedmaster aswell.

Best - Neil

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. webvan Jun 18, 2013

Yes, definitely correct for the Flightmaster since there are two separate references (given above), but there's only one for the Memomatic. I guess I could try looking up the graining on the "circular" FM to see if it's similar to the one in the picture.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 18, 2013

Just looked the case up on the Omega Extranet - the photo they show for the 1660071 has the sunburst pattern on it, not a circular grain finish. Looks like the one above is not correct.

Cheers, Al

5. webvan Jun 18, 2013

Thanks for looking it up. Not sure how it acquired that finish...apparently it was a personnel purchase, head only, originally. Does the current brushing look like a pro job to you?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 18, 2013

To get that finish you would have to chuck the case up in a lathe and spin it while applying an abrasive paper to the case. Not something someone who is a typical watch owner would do.

The sunburst finish can be restored if you know someone who has a lapping machine....

Cheers, Al

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. stefan Jun 18, 2013

Hi it's simple Omega Memomatic 166.071 never had circular factory finish of the case.

Cheers

Stefan

11.jpg
    77.jpg 23.jpg 44.jpg 33.jpg 22.jpg

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2013

Boy that thing is sharp !

9. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2013

No kidding! I don't like those tall clunky watches but I'd wear that once in a while. :thumbsup:

10. webvan Jun 18, 2013

stefan - nice pics, but can you elaborate on why you assert that the 166.071 never came with a circular brushing? Is it something you investigated previously and got a definitive answer for from Omega? I mean many people would say the same thing for the Flightmaster and some research shows it's not the case.

Archer - thanks for the insight.

Having taken a close look at "circular brushed" Flightmaster, I must say the grain looks pretty close to the one I'm being offered...

[​IMG]

flame and cicindela like this.
  11. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jun 18, 2013

That's a stunner! May I ask what that is between the pushers? It looks like a helium escape valve

12. webvan Jun 18, 2013

It's a "pusher" to set the date ;-)

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2013

It's actually called a 'corrector'.

14. webvan Jun 19, 2013

...correct!

In fact I wonder if the 166.071 doesn't use the same case as the FM with the crown's spot used by the corrector and then the two crowns...would need to find profile comparison shots.

15. stefan Jun 19, 2013

Hi, I'm fully aware of the Flightmaster 145.036 had circular grained finish and Mark III had both sunburst and circular grained finish, having owned quite a few 166.071 Memomatics I have never in my life seen circular grained finish of the case and the Memomatic you are reffering to is not a new old stock watch, I can see from miles away that this watch has been refinished with incorrect circular grained finish. To answer the question about the case shape, Memomatic 166.071 case is completely different from Flightmaster case 145.013, 145.026 and 145.036, case is is much smaller on Memomatics and it has acryllic crystal instead of miner crystal.

I will send you a box of chocolate if you find a new old stock Memomatic with circular grained factory finish of the case :)

Cheers

Stefan

16. webvan Jun 19, 2013

So you've never seem one either, ok. But miles away, really? Archer didn't seem to think it was a shoddy job.

17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2013

Stefan has a very keen eye for detail :coffee:

Dablitzer likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 19, 2013

The keen eye might notice that the edges of the case (Case 1) have vertical striations, which would intersect with a starburst pattern on the top of the case (if it had a starburst).

If it was an original "circular", I would have expected the sides of the case to be mirror finished.

Just my noobie thoughts

19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 19, 2013

I know you are ex military, but now I'm thinking DIGO!!!

20. webvan Jun 19, 2013

That's good point! Did some searching for the ST145.036 FM with the circular brushing and came up with this, where you can more or less make out a mirror finish on the sides. As a side note most FM's claimed to be ST145.036's have a...sunburst finish ;-)

[​IMG]

Well this one does seem to have the brushed radial finish on the sides :http://www.temporaryobsessions.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/DSCN0195.jpg (large picture)

Here you can't really tell...

[​IMG]