Forums Latest Members
  1. watchmadman33 Aug 1, 2018

Hi all,
    I have just bought an Omega Memomatic off the bay, it was supposed to have been serviced; but, it is in a bad way.

The gearing on the alarm set discs is getting caught on a pimple that Lemania have placed at around 12 o'clock on the retaining plate for the date disc.
    What is with the micro pimple? It is the same height as the gear, so I would assume it ensures the alarm discs remain at an equal height.

I can only move the alarm set time between ten to nine and a quarter past nine before it fouls on the pimple.
    Remove the dial, and the disc moves the full dial.

Help

2. auxpomme Aug 1, 2018

Seems like you should just return it.

3. watchmadman33 Aug 2, 2018

I have every alarm watch but the Omega and It was a reasonable price at the time. Everything works except this issue and I am sure it is an easy repair. There are some remarkably clever people on the site if one could just tell me what should be done.
    If i filed the offending piece down it would work, but I still do not know its purpose.

4. Caliber561 Aug 2, 2018

Pictures?

5. watchmadman33 Aug 2, 2018

The part in question is 1554, 'date indicator guard'.
    It appears there are two variants of this part.
    On eBay a seller has this part with the raised piece to the left of the screw @ 12 while a youtube clip and my watch have this set up.
    The one for sale has a raised ridge in staggered stages all round.

IMG_4858.JPG
  6. watchmadman33 Aug 2, 2018

From the image you can see the wear on the alarm disc back each side of the exposed gear.
    Below the number 10 is a screw, to the right of that screw is a piece of metal .5 of a mm thick and around .75 mm high (the darker spot right and down of screw)

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 2, 2018

Have you considered something as radical as taking it to a qualified watchmaker?

NOTSHARP, Archer and Paedipod like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2018

This would be my suggestion as well. But get the feeling that won't happen, so I will offer this to the OP...

http://www.phfactor.net/wtf/Omega/209_Omega980a.pdf

Study it carefully.

Cheers, Al

Paedipod and efauser like this.
  9. watchmadman33 Aug 4, 2018

Taking it to a watchmaker. That is radical. I am a qualified Professional Engineer.
    As a hobby I have worked on watches for 22 years now. I am happy to strip a watch and reassemble it. I make stems, case backs, chronograph pushers etc myself.
    I just did what most people who join a watch site do. Asked for some assistance on something I was not familiar with, before making any changes or adjustments.
    The diagram and annotations were great thanks.

However, the pin that catches on the gear still caused grief.

If someone else ends up with this problem (only on the early 980 movement, there are two different part 1554 ) the solution for me was to remove the pin (it is a small stainless dowel pressed into part 1554.
    The watch now works like a charm!
    The instructions were very helpful for setting everything up to work on time. Important for a minute setting alarm.
    Of all alarm watches though, this is the by far the most quiet. I could not even call it a ring. I see on youtube clips they remove the case back to improve the audio. Still, had to have it for the set.

Paedipod and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 5, 2018

@watchmadman33

Welcome! And don’t take it personally it’s a bit of a knee jerk reaction if you been around here for awhile.

The horrors we have seen....

watchmadman33, Mossback and frederico like this.
  11. Paedipod Aug 5, 2018

Which case type do you have? I have had my 980 movement in both the pilot-type and the cushion-type case at various times and my recollection is that they project sound differently. The transmission of the "buzz" to the wrist is similar through the caseback.

Both however are noticeable sitting around a meeting table to the others there, but more of a "what's that noise?" than the beep of a pager or ringtone so common these days. I find it much more subtle and personally useful when I need a reminder rather than a notice to others how important I am.....:whistling:

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 5, 2018

Glad you have it sorted. As an engineer and watchmaker (of which we have a few on this forum), I can tell you that being one certainly doesn't qualify you to be the other though...;)

Cheers, Al

13. watchmadman33 Aug 6, 2018

I did my engineering in Steel manufacture and design after I had done a trade as a Fitter/Boilermaker.
    The Mechanics of things is my bread and butter.
    22 years working on watches in my spare time, plus I had lessons from a master watchmaker for 2 years; but, I am always looking to learn more. I do not presume.

Funny thing is, there are people out there with trade certificates you would not trust a $5 watch with. The Omega Memomatic I bought was supposed to be fully serviced by a qualified watchmaker. The seller assures me repeatedly.

My watch is the cushion case. I agree with Paeipod. The buzz is subtle, it would be good around a meeting table if you wanted to be discreet. The Seiko Bellmatic is very similar.
    Unfortunately for me, I have damaged hearing from working in steel manufacture and operating steam turbines.
    The Vulcain Cricket cal 120, gets my attention (though not discretely, everyone hears it) , The Pierce cal 135 is a winner with silent or chime modes.

As to Foo2rama comment, yes there are some horrors out there (I have a box full I thought would be an easy fix). I believe if you don't know, ask.
    I often find watches that have been savaged by inexperienced people "giving it a go". But as any qualified watchmaker knows, that is more money for them when eventually they have to repair the watch for someone who is prepared to pay for it.

Foo2rama likes this.