Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Memomatic 166.071 (1970) [PRICE DROP]

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 30, 2018

Time for a new thread as the old one was getting a bit obsolete :)

Dear all

This is my first “open” sale on OF, please be gentle and provide any feedback to me via PM as I’m trying to do my best here :)

Today I am bringing for sale my Omega Memomatic 166.071 from 1970, and case from the “pilot” era for sale to the forums. No other reason than making space in the watchbox to fund other pieces.

If you don’t know the almighty Memo, please have a look here for instance (http://www.old-omegas.com/pilotline.html#166071 ), this will also direct you to other links and you can learn more about it.

The Caliber 980 was quite a revolution in the mechanical alarm movements, for two reasons:
    1- It was the first rotor self-wind system with only one barrel driving both the movement and the alarm – you only have one winder…
    2- It was also the first alarm wristwatch where an alarm could be set to the minute by a dual central rotating alarm disc, as opposed to the A. Shild-based movements, or the Jaeger Memovox movements where you set the alarm time with just one hand. The latter yields much more inaccuracy for obvious reasons. on the first pics it's set up for 12:01, but I quickly corrected this in the later pics to as close at 12 sharp as can be. The wrist shot has the alarm set at 10:30. you get the idea ;)

I don’t know this watch’s service history but it keeps decent time, less than 20s deviation/day. The alarm rings strongly, and I guarantee you if you have it ringing on your glass night stand that it WILL wake you up! Of course it doesn’t buzz as strongly as your iPhone, but remember this came to market 40 years earlier ;)

The previous owner is a well-known French collector who likes blue watches and jewelry in general. He had the black, original second hand replaced by an original blue omega memomatic one – the original black running seconds hand will be provided with the watch too… but, frankly, the blue one is a perfect fit and makes it a lot sexier than the black/silver combo only.

The mesh strap looks like it comes from StrapCode but I cannot confirm it. The mesh itself is darn close if not 100.0% similar to the original Omega one. I have an original omega on my 176.007 and I honestly cannot tell the difference. The folding clasp is what gives it away… but if you have an Omega mesh with the “buckle” like closure, you know how much of a PITA it is to close without having a padded area to rest it on. So, smart choice again from the previous owner. I have it adjusted for my 17cm (=6.7in) wrist, it can easily accommodate an extra 10mm (=0.4in).

It sports an immaculated omega-signed crystal, and an omega-signed crown.

This watch truly is a stunner! I highly suspect it has been refinished but whoever has done this knows his stuff, the sunburst on the case is stunning and immaculate. A few forum members have seen this piece in the flesh and I hope they will chime in and confirm that this is a head-turner!

I am asking for €1700 edit: Now €1500 net to me- plus shipping at cost to anywhere in the world from Switzerland (not cheap, prolly ~$40 to $75 tracked+insured, still TBC when we close the deal). If you are in the Lemanic area, then I’d be glad to meet you in person, hand it over to you, and the beer is on me :) I am primarily looking for cash, but I can entertain trades too, although this is not a preferred option and you might be getting the short end of the stick. I am interested in Heuer 1553’s, low-end Autavia’s (can't afford the high-end ones!), or for the modern stuff a Pelagos LHD, or even an Heritage series - we can talk the mundane stuff by PM if you dell like trading, I'm not completely blind to the fact that your watch might be worth more than mine ;)

I’ve taken my best shots (pun intended) at these pictures, using what I believe is a quality camera (except some of the wrist shots) i.e. my good ole D60, and the almighty silicon ball to open the caseback, which was the first time for this watch for me as it freaks me out to do this on anything whose value is higher than a few hundred quids… please let me know if you need other pics and I will do my best to fulfill your requirements .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an iconic 1970 watch, if like me you like this era you will be in awe at this timepiece!

[​IMG]

And now the fine print, shamelessly stolen from @Spacefruit , who always has B.I.C. ads (and watches, unfortunately over my budget in most cases...) – William please let me know if this is an issue and I will amend this all :)

SALES TERMS
    I only sell to bring some new pieces to my collection. I am not motivated by profit and so I have no reason to embellish or over describe. I have (mostly) bought and sold (a few - actually, one… and one trade too!) watches on www.OmegaForums.net and you can find my feedback by searching my username. I have met a few omegaforums members in person in the Lemanic area and I hope I made a good impression to them! I am not a watch dealer, I make my money elsewhere, watches are my pleasure, but I’m not a philanthropist either.

I am not in the offended by offers, as long as you aren't desperetely lowballing me.

Returns:

I have done my absolute best to provide as much info as I could. I will not take returns for this watch unless you consider it is grossly misrepresented and you are willing to have a discussion about it all, openly, on omegaforums, i.e. not by PM but into the limelight, as I value my fellow OF members opinions. I am opinionated, but not stubborn :)

Payment

Payment by Bank Transfer is favored; Paypal is expensive, and leaves the seller vulnerable to chargebacks, I will accept paypal from established members only and will request you to use the “payment to friends” option. Face to face is always welcome in the Lemanic area :)

Edited Mar 2, 2018
    Hnansen, Raymondo5508 and kingsrider like this.
  2. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 2, 2018

Price cut to EUR1500 :cool:

Paul

3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 23, 2018

OHPF :thumbsup:

Paedipod likes this.