Forums Latest Members
  1. JackDaniels83 May 5, 2017

Hello.
    My name is Daniel I'm from Germany and mainly collecting automatic vintage watches from all kind of makers. A smaller area of interest are old electric wristwatches. This is the point where I want to start here. I already showed the following watch at "uhrforum.de". The opinions go from "Frankenwatch" to "Prototype". It is a vintage electronic watch, most likely from the 70s, that looks like this:

IMG_5662.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

I would appreciate every hint regarding the market and/or the purpose the watch was made for. What I already know is:
    -it looks very similar to an Omega 1230 movement
    -the electronic unit looks different (discrete electronic parts instead of a integrated circuit, PCB in front of the coil, not behind)
    -there is no Omega reference number stamped into the case back
    -there is no Omega tag and no space for such a tag on the movement bridge
    -there is no Omega collection name (e.g. 720, Megasonic, Constellation) on the dial

Regards,
    Daniel

2. webvan May 5, 2017

Welcome to the forum.
    Hard to tell but indeed a prototype comes to mind. You could try contacting the museum about it.

3. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 5, 2017

4. R3D9 May 5, 2017

If this is indeed a genuine prototype, I think you have a very cool watch on your hands. I like the overall aesthetic- nice austere dial and an interesting handset.

JackDaniels83 likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 5, 2017

I'm inclined to think it may be a prototype.
    There's enough contemporary Omega DNA in the case style and the Ω symbol and the script/font on the dial.
    Also, your motor looks to still have plenty of oil in it, maybe they were a lot more thorough with a prototype.

Maybe contact Paul at Electric Watches (http://electric-watches.co.uk/).

JackDaniels83 likes this.
  6. webvan May 5, 2017

"Serie 0" in the back would be another hint towards a prototype.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. JackDaniels83 May 6, 2017

Thanks for your answers. I already tried to contact Paul regarding pictures of a lot of Omega f300 and Meagsonic (>60 piece) which he could add to his database. But he does not respond. I don't even know if he received the messages I sent through his contact page I do not have his email address. So I don't think it makes a difference with this topic.

After your feedback I will try to contact Omega directly. Thanks.

8. tyrantlizardrex May 6, 2017

Might be worth giving Tony Coe, the owner of Swiss Time Services a shout... he's been working on Megaquartz equipped omegas for 30+ years... and has a little stash of prototypes.

watchyouwant and R3D9 like this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 6, 2017

Well that's a first. New user comes on and people with respected opinions start agreeing with prototype.

If I had a dollar for every time this went the exact opposite way I'd have a nice prototype watch lol.

10. JackDaniels83 May 6, 2017

Glad, that I was able to surprise you. To be honest, I have two of them, but only one is working.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. tyrantlizardrex May 6, 2017

I guess the big difference is, they're normally trying to sell some hashed together pile of rubbish... whereas this looks a lot like a prototype of a megaquartz movement... more agricultural than the finished products for sure, but semi recognisable. :thumbsup:

BrianMcKay and Foo2rama like this.
  12. JackDaniels83 May 6, 2017

Are you sure you didn't mean Megasonic?

13. JackDaniels83 May 6, 2017

Can you please tell me a email address of the Omega Museum you recommended above?

14. tyrantlizardrex May 6, 2017

Yes sorry. ::facepalm1::

15. Tom Dick and Harry May 6, 2017

Hi all

Yes its a prototype, I have three prototype Megaquartz which are series 0. I am completely comfortable its a legit prototype, nice catch.

All of my megaquartz's are slightly different from firstly each other and secondly the production watch, these were basically the test beds for refining what was at the time a very experimental technology.

Its a nice thing

Best wishes tom

JP0013, Lucasssssss, Virgil01 and 9 others like this.
  16. Virgil01 Mar 1, 2021

What is the VALUE of something like this?! Thanks and best regards

17. webvan Mar 1, 2021

Priceless...as in there being no market for it. Now you may chance upon a collector who might want to add it to his pile but...any pics to share?

Too bad the OP never bothered to say if he'd contacted the museum or heard back from them.

18. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 1, 2021

No value. You want one, you pay the asking price. Kind regards. Achim

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2021

Yea that’s the sort of unfortunate thing, its historically significant and interesting but it really isn’t worth much to anyone that isn’t a diehard collector of obscure electric Omegas and Tom already has 3 so that’s him out of the bidding.

20. Virgil01 Mar 1, 2021

I am intrested about the range of the VALUE, i whant to make an idea to know if it’s worth it to pool the triger...! Thank you guy’s