Forums Latest Members
  1. Uscjake87 Jul 11, 2018

I have been hunting for a lobster bracelet for a speedsonic project and came across a megasonic with the right lobster bracelet. The megasonic is an equally interesting project watch, but I have read a lot of sad stories about the micro-motor going bad in most of these watches. I have seen a F300 dial with the lobster bracelet (photo attached). Perhaps it is a better idea to seek out this dial and movement to swap in for the megasonic? Here are my questions:

1) Can the F300 movement and dial be swapped into this case or is the inner-case unique on a megasonic? If so, does anybody know of any for sale?
    2) Is the megasonic worth saving?
    3) What in the heck made the lume dots explode on this dial?

s-l1600 (2).jpg 14JL26-(10).jpg
  2. tyrantlizardrex Jul 11, 2018

1) Not Sure.
    2) Depends how cheap it is.
    3) At a guess, moisture reacting with the paint and the tritium.

3. ConElPueblo Jul 11, 2018

That type of "exploded lume" is extremely common on blue dials, especially metallic blue ones. Seen it a number of times and not just on Omegas and from my observations it happens more often than not.

Note the missing T's on your dial - a lot of Omegas from the seventies lack these, perhaps due to some experiments with a different type of lume with less tritium?

4. Uscjake87 Jul 11, 2018

Anybody know what the average cost of servicing a megasonic is?

Any recommendations for companies that can refinish Omega dials?

5. tyrantlizardrex Jul 11, 2018

Would suggest emailing Swiss Time Services, Tony still works on some of these, although parts are drying up.

You’re better off looking for a replacement dial I think.

Uscjake87 likes this.