Forums Latest Members
  1. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jul 30, 2014

Hi
    I'm new to the forum but have been an avid reader for the past few months.
    To be honest I'm a bit shocked at how addictive reading and learning about watches on the forum has become!

Back to subject title...

I have the below Marine.

my marine.jpeg

I've tried to find out what the original strap looked like and have found a seal skin strap with what appears to be a non Omega deployment clasp...well a picture only! Can't imagine there is any chance of owning one!!!

marine seal skin.jpg

I've also recently seen the below nice example for sale where the lugs have holes (first time I have seen this on a marine).
    The bracelet is a HC 55. I've seen a similar one on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/251298695453?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.
    However, I'm unsure if it would fit without making large holes in the lugs as per the below picture.
    It looks like there is the possibility to thread a slim spring bar through the hollow bar on the HC 55 ebay strap, but I'm unsure.

Plus I'm a little concerned that a SS bracelet which wasn't specifically made for the marine could damage the lugs.

Does anyone here own a Marine they have put a bracelet on, or have experience of the HC 55 that they could share?

marine metal strap 3.jpg

Thanks for reading.

tamura, JimInOz and Stewart H like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 30, 2014

Oh my -

Here's an original ad for your watch:

[​IMG]

The example in your picture may have the original deployant clasp. It certainly looks the same as the one in the advertisement. I'm not sure that it was ever signed "Omega".

I don't think these came with metal bands originally. This seems a bit odd, since they were supposedly designed as waterproof watches. Normal diving activities would damage a leather strap. I would think that the model at the lower right could have used something like a Bonklip bracelet (popular in the 1930's) with the more-or-less normal lug configuration.

You would have difficulty fitting any sort of modern bracelet into the first two models with the hidden lugs.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

JimInOz likes this.
  3. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jul 30, 2014

Thanks Alice

4. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jul 30, 2014

I can only confirm what gator said. I don't think that the metal bracelet you showed was put on Marine models by Omega. I've only heard about the seal strap with the deployant clasp.

Mine says hello :

[​IMG]

And two other advertisings :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill Sohne, tamura, Gavin and 2 others like this.
  5. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jul 31, 2014

Thanks Tire-comedon, much appreciated.
    That'a a very nice Marine you have.

6. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jul 31, 2014

Thanks, yours is also in a very good condition. Is it the model with the long clasp like mine :
    [​IMG]

Or a short clasp as on the last picture you posted?

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 31, 2014

Been wanting one of these lately...nice watches!

8. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jul 31, 2014

Mine also has the long clasp at the back, and the crown is at 12. Oddly I have another which has the crown at 6. No idea why they would have been made differently.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 31, 2014

:eek: You.........have...................another one..........?

postpics.gif

Varasc, Tire-comedon and UncleBuck like this.
  10. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 1, 2014

Hi,
    I need to check on a 19.4, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the dial feet are symetrical and can be turned so that crown is at 6 or 12.

Obviously we all need to see pictures of the second one.

11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2014

hi
    I cant seem to find any pics of mine right now... but I used to wear it with an Omega beads of rice bracelet and the hooded lugs you do not even need end pieces ! if a strap is your style , I would go with a shell cordovan strap and a simple deployant clasp...

good hunting

bill sohne

12. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 2, 2014

I just noticed that on the add shown by Gator, the crown is at twelve, and on the last one I posted, it is at six!...

13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2014

hi guys

here are some pics.... on a thin shell cordovan strap with a vintage deployment pat# from the 1930s...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Hunting

bill

Gavin, Tire-comedon, JimInOz and 2 others like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2014

Very nice

15. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Aug 4, 2014

Hi guys, thanks for all the info, advice and pictures.

Bill, I like the vintage deployant clasp, very nice.

PS
    Sorry for the delay JimInOz, here you go

marine wrist.jpg

2 marine.jpg

Thanks again

ConElPueblo, alam, Gavin and 3 others like this.
  16. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 4, 2014

Very nice watches with dials in very good condition. Congrats. Interesting to see that they both have the stripped case which, accordinf to AJTT, is rarer and was produced for the French market.
    Mine has the slick case :

[​IMG]

tamura and JimInOz like this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 5, 2014

No no, thank YOU!

:thumbsup:

Mods likes this.
  18. tamura Aug 5, 2014

Nice Marine Omegas here :)
    omemarine b6a.jpg
    tamura

Rman, alam, Gavin and 2 others like this.
  19. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 5, 2014

Short clip variant over here:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407236846.903675.jpg

tamura, gatorcpa, Gavin and 1 other person like this.
  20. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 11, 2015

I think today I have become our forums official super geek................... so:

I have owned a fair few Marines over the years, love them but they are just that little bit too small for me! sad but true........ anyway, I am duty manager at work tonight which means I finished at 5:00pm and am stuck in my office until 9:00pm, I've caught up on all of my work so I thought I would do some watch geeking............so:

I have an extremely special watch which will be making a forum appearance in the not too distant future, it is a chronograph from the 1930's, I have been searching for an appropriate band for it! I have always loved the Omega Marine straps with the deployment buckle but there is little or no information on them, scouring the web I found this post.

Result I thought, or not because it just helps me see what I can't have

(although I did notice the watch Bill is showing off is one I think I sold him a couple of years back, which strangely I bought from a guy in Hull who found it in his local charity shop for £25)

Not good enough I thought................ so:

I took this post and carried it a bit further and here are the results:

The pic the OP posted led me to these pics of Omegas own museum watch (which ironically I have seen in the flesh) which does indeed have it's original Seal skin band with original deployment buckle

vl1_image.3469943.jpg vl1_image.3469953.jpg vl1_image.3469983.jpg

Which led me to magnify the images and note that the buckle is a Hadley USA buckle (makes sense) so I did some research and found this, which is indeed the same buckle attached to a very very cool 17mm BCT which I intend to have adapted to 18mm fitment for my new Chrono (when the chrono arrives back from service you will realise why I have gone to such lengths) anyway, enjoy:

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 20.00.55.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 20.01.02.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 20.01.09.png

A long and elongated thread I know but I thought the Marine owners out there might like to know that the buckles for these watches were made by Hadley in the USA and if you are a super geek like me here is the original listing, I have bought two BCT's to ensure my watch maker can make one that fits so I will have a spare clasp going and maybe even a spare BCT if anyone facies one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261799540039?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I am sure someone out there can make you custom fitting and a custom strap (ABP paris maybe) and complete your Marine

Boom....................... Omega Geek badge of the day has got to go to me..................

Edited Mar 11, 2015
    ketiljo likes this.