Forums Latest Members

Omega made cases vs contract cases in early watches

1. oMEGaFanVintage Jun 18, 2017

hi.

How do you tell the difference between a watch case made by Omega and a contract case? What are the defining characteristics?

Blum001 likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 18, 2017

Omega manufactured cases (pre-1970, at least)? News to me...

3. Edward53 Jun 18, 2017

Bit of a slap down there, was it really necessary? OP obviously didn't know about contract cases and the question was a fair one. Perhaps it could be rephrased as, how do you tell cases bought in by Omega from those made without their involvement?

timoss, Kmart, Cad290 and 3 others like this.
  4. oMEGaFanVintage Jun 18, 2017

Thank you for rephrasing it for the right audience, Edward53. That's precisely my meaning.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 18, 2017

My understanding, which is not 100% correct is that they did not carry Omega reference numbers on the caseback. I know there are a few exceptions to that rule.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 18, 2017

Omega used cases made by many contractors. Some were made in Switzerland, some were made in their country of ultimate sale. Generally, this was done to avoid customs on imported solid gold watch cases, or because local standards for content were more lenient outside of Switzerland. For example, gold-filled cases were more accepted in the US than in other markets, so it made economic sense to make those cases in the US.

Generally, cases made for Omega have a triangle logo with the words "Omega Watch Co.", that looks like this:

Swiss made case back:
    [​IMG]

UK made gold case back:
    [​IMG]

Brazilian made gold case back (Carci)
    [​IMG]

US made gold-filled case back. No triangle, but has the proper wording:
    [​IMG]

Typical non-Omega 18K case. Probably from Argentina:
    [​IMG]
    Note the lack of the triangle logo above.

Modern (post-1980) Omega cases are all Swiss made.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. cristos71 Jun 18, 2017

I'll just add a French case back which although these do have an Omega logo, it is of an older type compared to the period of case production.

014 edit.JPG

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 18, 2017

Don't forget the other UK cases - by Dennison
    Probably more common than the Shackman shown above.
    Picture courtesy of Desmond's blog.
    IMG_2711.JPG

9. oMEGaFanVintage Jun 20, 2017

Thanks all.

Here's a specific question then

Is this a case made for Omega or a contract case? I'm told it's a case made for Omega IMG_4136.JPG

Conversely, I'm told that that this is a french contract case.

IMG_4370.JPG

Any wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

10. omegastar Jun 20, 2017

It is written Swiss made in the second one.
    This is the old Omega logo before the triangle, that was kept in France.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 20, 2017

A case made for Omega is a contract case.

It was designed by Omega and produced for Omega by another company under contract.

Until recently, most Swiss watch companies did not produce their own watch cases.

For Swiss made solid gold cases, there are usually responsibility marks which contain a number that identifies the specific company that made the case.

http://download1639.mediafire.com/8...ull_list_+Swiss_Gold_responsibility_marks.pdf

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. omegaddicted82 Apr 3, 2023

Hello everyone. I'm reopening this treadh to ask about this omega case with f.c. written on it.
    I saw that there are numerous models but I also found a movado also with the numbering f.c. 4048.
    Does anyone know anything? It's a real mystery

IMG-20230314-WA0021.jpg
  13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 3, 2023

Perhaps showing us the rest of the watch including the movement for context would help...?

14. omegaddicted82 Apr 3, 2023

Here some pics
    Thanks

IMG-20230314-WA0021.jpg IMG-20230314-WA0017.jpg IMG-20230314-WA0013.jpg IMG-20230314-WA0014.jpg
  15. quixet Apr 4, 2023

@omegaddicted82: Italian "national production" case. Watch assembled (and retailed) in Italy.

16. omegaddicted82 Apr 4, 2023

Can you give me some more information? F.C. what does it mean? Is it to be considered as Franken or not? Thank you in advance

17. quixet Apr 4, 2023

It is not a franken watch. Omega delivered under a contract with the Italian agent at the time (and under the new Italian laws for the watch trade) the complete movement, dial and hands to the agent. Agent then took care of the assembly and retailing the watch.
    Case maker is different than the Omega agent. "F.C." i believe it relates to the maker, do not recall them all.
    The 4 digit second to FC i believe they represent the case model (a sort of reference, not a serial).

It is not unusual to see such watches with "national" cases. You will find them spread around the globe from Portugal to Spain, France (and colonies), Italy (and colonies), up to Central and Eastern Europe, or up north in the UK and dominions (ie: Oz). But none of these would have happened without the contribution of the "New-Found-Land", were the most fierce "nationalists" and "protectionists" paved the way.. although, ironically, the very founders of the "Americana" culture (old families) were European (sometimes at 1st or 2nd generation, ie: Johnston-DeForest).

It involves a bit of history and politics. Sometimes exaggerated in order to "protect national makers". Reminiscences of these otherwise ridiculous "protectionism" rules are still in order today, affecting the small and mid class / businesses, as usual. Lobbyists articulating the long hand of the big corporations circumvent them anyway.

18. skowron Feb 18, 2024

Hey Guys, what would you say about an inner case with BO879 and K18; 0.750 engraved on it?
    Country of origin? Argentina? Bolivia? Bologna?

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 18, 2024

Pictures?::confused2::

No one can say anything without seeing the marks in questions here.
    gatorcpa