Forums Latest Members
  1. anders68 May 18, 2016

My father in law passed away couple years ago, and left us this Omega Seamaster. I'm trying to find out if it´s worth fixing or what. Can anyone tell me the model of this watch and what year it´s made and also the approx. value :)

Best regards Anders from Sweden.

Omega 001.jpg Omega 002.jpg
  2. Kwijibo May 18, 2016

Hi Anders,

First thing to do is to open the case and have a look indise the caseback to see the number. Also note the serial number on the movement.

3. anders68 May 18, 2016

Hi Kwijibo, how do I open, without doing any damage, what should I use ;)

4. Kwijibo May 18, 2016

you need a key. Like this one :
    41Wu1VY+TjL.jpg be carefu not to slip if it's tight. If you are not used to doing that it would be more cautious to have it openend by some watchmaker. If you have a rubber ball somewhere you can also try by pressing it hard upon the case back and turn it anticlockwise.

5. GuiltyBoomerang May 18, 2016

+1 to watchmaker or rubber ball to open - better than scratching the back.

6. anders68 May 18, 2016

The tool looks advanced and expensive, so I will start trying the rubber ball, if that don´t work I will prob. visit a watchmaker.

7. Kwijibo May 18, 2016

yes try something like a squash ball or bigger. It needs to stick a bit to the casback. The back could be quite tightly screwed especially if it had not been opened for ages. Sratching it wouls be a shame as it's in a very good condition. A watchmaker should charge you... nothing and do it in 15 seconds.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 18, 2016

Those tools are about the cost of a beer (and are about as useful) and are only good for opening Invictas, but for Omegas you need one of these.

P1060025.JPG

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. Kwijibo May 18, 2016

Hi Jiminoz.
    most of us dream of such a tool, but actually when one opens a watch twice a year a cheap key in enough. Of course, it requires a little care ;)

10. ConElPueblo May 18, 2016

11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 18, 2016

Yes, it's a real omega. From this poor photo I can't tell if the dial has been repainted or not.
    Probably worth in the region of US$400 in it's current condition, though it would be nice to think your wife may put a higher sentimental value on it than that.

12. anders68 May 18, 2016

Hi Shaun, excuse the poor condition of the photos, my camera in the cellphone is not the greatest ;)
    My wife has a true sentimental value in the Omega, but isn't prepared on a higher restoring cost of the watch, so it all depends on the value of the watch in this condition.

13. anders68 May 18, 2016

By the way, how do I clean the watch in the best manner, what shouldn't I use.

14. Canuck May 18, 2016

The best way to clean it is NOT the way you should try to clean it! The only complete, satisfactory way to clean it would be to remove the strap, the case back, stem and crown, two case clamps and screws, and then the "works" should come out of the case. Then the case back gasket should come out. Soap and water, a soft brush, and clean all the case parts. By then, you are well into doing a complete service of the watch, replacing what you have to, to make a complete job of it! Otherwise, a toothpick to poke out the grunge, and a DRY retired toothbrush to get the worst of it off.

noelekal likes this.
  15. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 18, 2016

I'm not sure where you are located but I would estimate a service by a quality independent watchmaker to cost approximately US$200, assuming no parts are required. With this done it will keep going for another 6 years when the next service will be due.

16. dwndler May 18, 2016

I will take a "wild" guess to a ref. 14384 with cal. 610 and date it to early 1960's.
    I am also almost 100% sure that dial is NOT repainted as it has patina on it.
    You would need to take it to the watchmaker for service and change of crystal and most likely new strap. As I am not aware of service prices in Sweden it will only be my guess but not under a 1000 SEK and most likely 2000 SEK will service cost be. Try asking local watchmaker(s).
    Rough estimate of the value in current condition is 1-2000 SEK.
    If it was my fathers watch I would do the service and wear the watch. You can get some money for it but when its gone it is GONE.

17. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 18, 2016

Considering you have not spent any money on a purchase, invest some money on a good service of the watch. It will increase the overall value.

dwndler, noelekal and ossfm like this.