Forums Latest Members

Omega ladymatic automatic 1974 - need some help please

1. Mica Oct 7, 2016

Hello and thank you for having me on this forum!

I recently bought a mechanism cal 661 I posted photoes of it. I got it because it was in very good condition and since my old watch is not moving anymore I decided to start a project.

I've read a lot about this watch but what I got from the seller was :
    I have for sale a watch movement and dial made by Omega . On the movement is stamped 24 jewels and Omega watch Co. it is an automatic and measures16mm across.It is in working cond. but requires a winder.

Now I've kept on looking on ebay for a case first of all and I found http://m.ebay.com/itm/381629089647Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    And another one
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/262651322628Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I hope I've got them wright.
    My question is regarding the winder. Might be silly but if I get the first case would I need to get
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/311706859492Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network ?

If I got the cases wrong please advice on what to look for.
    This is my first project so please bare in mind that I am a novice at watches, even tho I had a passion for them I couldn't afford one.

1475849481571-2075884220.jpg 1475849584093-1698608632.jpg 1475849654444-1444445551.jpg 1475849700268-870749709.jpg
  2. tdn-dk Oct 7, 2016

To find the references that fit your movement/dial go to http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage/ chose "Filter by" chose "Caliber number" chose 661 caliber.

BUT a lot of those lady Omega's were with gold case and since vintage lady Omega's are not in demand or worth much, the most gold cases have been melted, and therefore there are a lot of movements for sale. So it can be hard to find one.

Mica likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 7, 2016

When I reverse search cases for the 661 there are 9 pages, so lots of cases fit this movement...

However your first linked eBay sale, ref. 2940, is for a Cal. 455, not a 661. The 455 is a 7 ligne movement, where the 661 is a 6 3/4 ligne movement, and the heights are different by over a mm.

The second case, ref. 555003 is fine for a 661.

The winding stem you linked to is correct, as the 450 and 660 share the same stem. The case doesn't come with a crown by the looks of it, so you will need to find one - these are no longer available through Omega so you may just have to find one with the right tap size and dimensions.

Cheers, Al

Mica likes this.
  4. Mica Oct 7, 2016

Thank you very much for the replys tdn-dk and archer .

I found as references so far 555003 and 551004 under this particular watch. It would help me imensly if you could tell me what to look for.
    I know now first 5=lady's watch second 5=self winding without second and the 3rd digit represents the water resistance.
    Would any case that starts with reference 55 work or do I need to question the seller about the cal as well?

Thank you again.

5. ChrisN Oct 7, 2016

That's a very small calibre. My wife has a 684 Omega which, I think is 7.75 ligne , about 17.5 mm so, a bit bigger than yours. The 68x calibre series has a sweep (central) seconds so I suppose the cases start 56 (hers is 566.0024) but , I couldn't say for sure.

So, if the case you are looking at is starting 55 it could be for a different ladies calibre without a second hand. I don't know if there are any but, I'd certainly ask any seller which calibre his case is for. Don't you like the second case you linked to above?

Do you know what case your movement came from? It would be safest to choose that case as the dial diameter in particular might vary between cases.

Out of interest, are you in Spain?

Best of luck, Chris

Mica likes this.
  6. Mica Oct 7, 2016

Hello and thank you for your reply. I am in the UK. I like the second case nothing wrong with it but thought I'd search on eBay UK and people now don't really put all the details out in the auctions and so I need to search all kind of combinations in order to find the part I am looking for.
    The good thing is I got the mechanisms at a steal but taking into consideration that I need a winder and the key I thought I do a complete search on the case maybe I can get it out of gold or sterling silver at a lower price.
    I've seen watches with the condition of the dail in bad condition 90-95 pounds and I can get one like that and just replace the mechanisms. Also I need to get it serviced because my untrained yey looks at it and sees a clean watch but I need qualified people to deal with it.

7. ChrisN Oct 7, 2016

Hi

I saw you had a couple of eBay links to Spain and just assumed you'd be here but, I think it's just that we have a lot of old stock being sold over here.

So, if I were you, I'd sign up to Cousins in the UK. You don't need to buy anything yet but, if you register with them, you get to their download folder. I did a quick search for 555.003 (the case above as an example) and you can see the list of parts and the calibre. Here's a cut down extract:
    661.jpg

You can see it's for a 661 calibre (mechanism) and they list the parts such as crown (key) and so on. Anyway, as Al says you can fit a 661 to any case that is shown as taking a 661. Just be careful of that dial being suitable and good luck.

Regards, Chris

Mica likes this.
  8. DON Oct 7, 2016

If at all possible. Try to buy within the UK and avoid the high s/h fees from the US. First seller wanted almost $40 for shipping. Prices a bit high for the cases. Last one I bought. Paid like $25.00 for it although about 8 years ago

I had a date model, but didn't match the case I had. Never really bothered with it

You will need the winding stem just in case

Good luck with your project

DON

9. Mica Oct 7, 2016

Thank you Chris and than you Don.
    Never expected to get so much help in so little time now I'm really excited about it !

I will register wright away couldn't be simpler seeing the picture you posted from the folder.

Don I know I had was presented with the same 40 50$ charge on shipping alone at it seams ridiculous to pay 50% of the value in shipping charges.

The guy/company from Spain said it's a new part altho it doesn't look new, maybe it's just me.

Thank you all very much!