Forums Latest Members
  1. Sturmvogel Jun 29, 2015

Hi there,

I am a completely new member and not all that familiar with vintage Omegas. However, I'd like to buy a nice one for actually wearing and using it. I read that there are a lot of fakes or original with repro dials, etc., so before I spend a considerable amount, I'd be very glad to hear your opinion. I don't have a special type in mind, but prefer 36mm and above rather than the smaller 35mm watches. Here are two nice looking Omega Jumbos, but to me at least one looks to be too good to be true.

Cheers,
    Roger

Omega-jumbo1.jpg omega-jumbo2.jpg Omega-jumo3.jpg Omega_jumbo_bumper.jpg Omega_jumbo_bumper_crown.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2015

If you like that size take a look at the reference 166.032 they wear bigger and have one of the best movements in them. That Seamaster dial looks like a bombay special.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 29, 2015

Both are redials.

Pay attention to the overstepped subdial in the first one. Do you think the Omega factories would be so sloppy? ;)

Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 9.19.53 AM.png
    noelekal likes this.
  4. Sturmvogel Jun 29, 2015

Wow, that was fast. Thank you very much for the information. You are right, now that you pointed to the '7' I see it as well. Have to continue to look for a genuine one. Do you have some photos of 100% original jumbos that can help as a benchmark?

Cheers, Roger

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 29, 2015

I would not call either watch "fake" or non-genuine. The dials have been refinished. It is similar to a classic car getting a new paint job. A car that is totally original will generally bring more (all else being equal) because it is rarer that one that has been refurbished.

While both of the above watches have redials, here we have a great example how to do and not to do a restoration on a vintage watch.

If it wasn't for the "7" slightly hanging over the subdial, I doubt anyone on this forum would question that first example. Hands are original (or at least of the correct style), case has polished, but the edges have not been totally destroyed. Movement is correct caliber for the 2505 case reference.

IIRC, that watch was shown here before and it generated quite a controversy then.

The second dial is a fantasy in a style that never was produced by Omega. Hands are of a style not made by Omega. Who knows what is inside of that one.

If the price was right on the first one, I'd gladly wear it. Couldn't pay me enough to wear the second one.
    gatorcpa

noelekal likes this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 29, 2015

Not to court controversy, but in terms of aesthetic appeal, I've seen a lot worse than the second redial. As said above, it's a complete fantasy redial, but if it's described as such by the seller, the movement is genuine and it's being sold cheap, then the decision is yours.

To stretch the analogy above further, there is a market for custom/pimped cars as there is for watches. It becomes fraudulent when a seller tries to pass off an item as factory original when it's not or has had factory parts replaced with inferior parts.

7. Sturmvogel Jun 29, 2015

Of course I agree with you that a restored watch (even if a replacement dial) can have its appeal as well. The sales description of the amber Omega does not tell that the dial was restored (it states 'original slate dial') and the price seems to me rather high (>1'600 USD). The silver Omega is offered fro $1500, which also seems to me too high for a replacement dial.

Can anybody tell me what a trustworthy source (seller) is for completely original vintage Omega watches (preferably the jumbo size)?

8. ConElPueblo Jun 29, 2015

"the jumbo size"... does a mm really matter that much to you?

9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 29, 2015

If it was priced at half that, they would probably be asking twice as much as it's worth (unless they could come up with some outstanding provenance)

As for a trustworthy source of vintage omegas - have you noticed the "for sale" sections here ? :)

10. Sturmvogel Jun 29, 2015

Yes, the size matters since I intend to wear the watch and prefer a larger than 35mm one (just personal preference, the 35mm and smaller are also beautiful watches, but just look too small on my wrist).

Yes, I have seen the 'for sale' section and this is probably the most trustworthy way to buy a fully original Omega. I will watch out for any new listing of a vintage Omega ;)