Forums Latest Members
  1. astroligo Jul 10, 2016

Hello,
    I am new here and very novice at Omega vintage watches.
    I saw an Omega Jumbo 1958 cal 266 solid 18k pink gold only that I really like but I am not sure it worth the price.
    I did not know how to use the forum and sent the questions to a member privately. He told me that seems to be authentic Omega parts but the dial is repainted and that would kill the value to collectors. Does it mean that in case I would like to resell would be difficult?
    They are asking ~800$ for this watch, do you think it worth the price or there might be better things out there for that price?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thank you in advance
    Best, Armando

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png
  2. fjf Jul 10, 2016

Bad, bad dial pics. No way to tell.

3. dwndler Jul 10, 2016

First of all the year is not 1958 (unless you have some original paper stating sales date to 1958) but 1953 (judging by the serial number of the movement).
    And your pictures could be more clear but if last 4 digits on inner side of the back case are 2685 than this is your watch:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/planet...ache=1&cHash=fa153d0d67e6a4211dbddb04b01ab11b

Personally I do not find $800 too much even if the dial is redone as I have sold Jumbo (ref. 2505 - steel) with black repainted dial for that amount recently. Now your market (USA I guess) and my (Denmark) are not the same but nevertheless there is some value in gold (weight) and also in spare parts. And some considerable amount of potential buyers is more interested in nice dial than in original dial. Collectors and hard core collectors do not represent huge percentage of vintage watch buyers so I would not be afraid of issue with reselling.

Edited Jul 10, 2016
    astroligo likes this.
  4. astroligo Jul 10, 2016

fjf and dwndler, I sincerely appreciate your help.
    Will contact the seller and ask for better pics of the dial and make a decision.
    Many thanks!

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 10, 2016

Dial is clearly refinished.

6. dwndler Jul 10, 2016

I gotta ask @MSNWatch what is clear give away on the pictures for you to think that dial is refinished?
    IMHO design of the dial is from the 50's and even on the first picture there is some kind of discoloration or patina hint (mixture of grey and cream color). Just curious.

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 10, 2016

The marks are way too heavy both for the minute hash marks and the subdial lines.