Forums Latest Members

Omega INSISTS I purchase new bracelet during service.... grrrrr...

1. Csfulham Mar 2, 2017

So I've taken my 1969 (serial 28,0xx,xxx) Speedy MkII 145.034 in for an Omega Service Centre service quote.

It's well worn (every day for the 15 years I've had it), was last serviced 5y ago (by omega for about £250 then), has a scratched crystal, missing pusher, and stopped ticking last month. So it's high time.

Despite the hideously expensive complete service package of £520, they REFUSE TO SERVICE IT unless I purchase a replacement bracelet for £320. (Something about it not being safe to keep on the old bracelet).

Does anyone have any experience of this? I thought maybe I could re-submit it for service on a leather strap and they couldn't insist on a new bracelet?! Thoughts? It's already a ludicrously high service cost anyway, but if I have to pay £933.50 I could probably buy another speedy mk2 for that money!!

Quote back:
    £520 - Complete service, new hands etc.
    £29.33 - new crystal
    £320 - new bracelet
    £64.16 - new dial (optional)

Can anyone recommend an independent service centre (UK) that they've used to do the work instead?

2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 2, 2017

Swiss Time Services.

Get the watch back and get it over to Simon, Tony, and the team.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 2, 2017

STS.

Csfulham likes this.
  4. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 2, 2017

Yep! Give them a call. A few of the chaps on here recommended them to me. I called them, Had a chat with Simon and he was very helpful. I have no concerns at all leaving my watch with them.

Csfulham likes this.
  5. WurstEver Mar 2, 2017

Not "safe", huh? For what or whom, I wonder?
    I suppose if your bracelet fails, your watch could fly off your wrist, exposing those around you to the risk of serious injury and exposing Omega to possible litigation on the grounds of negligence. That seems like a perfectly reasonable concern, right? ::facepalm2::

This sounds liked another entry in the Don't-send-it-to-Omega file. I had a similarly odd interaction with the Omega service department recently...
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/servicing-a-speedy-mk-40.53593/

Edited Mar 2, 2017
  6. alohatime Mar 2, 2017

When you refuse the service and get your watch back, will you have had to pay anything (except your loss time) ?

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 2, 2017

You think that's bad? I needed replacement hands for a vintage AP, and they refused to do it without a several thousand CHF movement overhaul.

Short-sighted, to put it very mildly.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 2, 2017

I asked my local Rolex SC to replace a cracked crystal on my Air King that had been serviced three years previously.

Rolex person: "Sorry sir, we can only do that at a standard Rolex service".

Starting price AUD$900, plus cost of any required parts and they keep all old parts.

Me: "Where do I bend over?"

9. ajg1960 Mar 2, 2017

Ummmm, at the waist......

10. trim Mar 2, 2017

There has to be something said for collecting obscure brands with no hope of factory support.

11. Csfulham Mar 3, 2017

Great thanks for the recommendation!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. Csfulham Mar 3, 2017

No - when I took it in I specifically told them I just wanted a service quote - knowing I wanted a new pusher and crystal and possibly dial, and told them there was no commitment from me.

13. Csfulham Mar 3, 2017

I know it's ridiculous isn't it? I guess they figure that most of their **valued** customers can afford to chuck a few extra pounds at the problem without complaining.

Another one for the don't-send-it-to-omega file: last time I had it serviced by Omega, the following month I went skiing and the watch had condensation on the inside of the crystal. Fuming, I took it back and they "re-serviced" it.

WurstEver likes this.